Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FedEx dropped off my Thermalright Spitfire and the VRM-R4 today along with some other goodies. Took a bit of work to get the R4 mounted alongside the monster Spitfire Heatsink, but in the end I prevailed
Pics and some screenies of temps while running Furmark below.

Now for the temps. This one is for temps at stock clocks. My temps only increased by 9C after ten minutes.

My GPU score in vantage at stock clocks.

After results of that I had to see just how far I could push it and be stable.
20minute run in Furmark. Yes temps are high on VRM's, but the other temps are outstanding to be pumping 1.35v through it @1050/1250.

GPU score in Vantage. Oh yeah, gotta love that. A 4500+ increase.

Anyway, figured I would post some of this for those interested in the Spitfire. I am sure like most, people are waiting on the VRM-R5 to become available. The VRM-R4 can be made to work but it take quite a bit of effort bending the heatpipes oh so carefully without collapsing them. Enjoy the pics.

BTW, yeah I know my cable management sucks, but after getting everything to play nice, I just didn't have it in me to do much else, besides I have to redo most of it this weekend once my watercooling goodies come in anyway.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Very nice
I think the temps are very similar to mine with Thermalright T-Rad2 GTX+VRM-R4, and nice fans you got there(Noiseblockers are great)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I could do 1Ghz before, albeit at the price of my video card sounding like a vacuum cleaner from having to ramp up the fan speed to attempt to keep the heat down. In general gaming it wasn't too bad, but in furmark I had to keep fan in the 80-100% range.
Now at 1050core, 1.35v, aftermarket cooling is a necessity.
The thermalright spitfire and the vrm-r4 are both good coolers, but take up a lot of room. I have since abandoned both in favor of a full cover waterblock.

·
PC Evangelist
47,495 Posts
My VRM are going crazy right now. 130C under load with stock cooler and 1.25v.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The heat those things generate is crazy. The vrm coolers that thermalright makes keeps them at bay though. Truth be told, the vrm-r4 I had does just as good as my EK full cover waterblock does. I, personally would not let it run that hot, at least not for long period.
BTW, I assume the vrm's are getting that hot while running furmark, right? Try running a few games you have on hand and see what the vrm temps get up to. They will probably be okay.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
AZO Will the VRM-R4 fit on this 5850?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-884-_-Product
It is designed for reference boards. I am not sure if that is a reference board or not. If I had a pic of that board without the cooler I could probably tell you if it would fit or not.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Eh I dont like those VRM temps. How big is your CPU Heatsink and how much space between that and Spitfire? I was thinking of getting the Spitfire and R4 too for my top GPU, since it gets very little air, but I dont know if it'll fit on my setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts