Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this combination to cool their 5850?

VRM-R5
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...cooler_r5.html

SPITFIRE
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa..._spitfire.html

Both appear to be made to work together, and from the specs sheet it looks like both mount with the coolers pointing "down" toward the bottom of the case instead of up (which is important because my thermalright 120 on the cpu juts out up top.

In anycase, I'm wondering if the extra money spent on this combo would be worth it. Obviously the noise factor would be greatly reduced over the stock cooling, but what I don't know is how much more, if any, room it will give me at overclocking. Currently I run my 5850 at 1250 Volts, 935 core and 1200 memory. Fan set about 60%. What I'm most curious about is if this new cooling combo would give me more headroom to oc the card.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am considering that same setup for my 5850 as well. The only review I have seen on it is this one http://www.pcshoptalk.com/showthread...ire-VGA-Cooler and it blew the TR TRad2 away, which was another option I was looking at. That thing is huge though. For me I have a TuniQ 120 and an 8800GTS 640 that I use for PhysX so the Spitfire looks to be my only viable option. Unless I find anything that sways me not to buy it, I will probably purchase it before the day is out.

BTW, I was able to hit 1k/[email protected] on my Sapphire 5850 with temps around 75-80c with general gaming. Benching it with Furmark on the other hand is a different story.
Anyway, if you want to give it a week I could probably give you some first hand knowledge on that Spitfire setup, hopefully with pics

On second thought, besides the fact no one seems to have them in stock, the VRM-R5 appears to only mount in the upright position, the spitfire can be mounted in either position. You may want to look into the VRM-R4. It may work for you if you mount the spitfire in the down position.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
The Spitfire compliments the 5850 very well. It takes up a HUGE amount of space though. With a quiet 140mm fan (1300RPM NZXT) my 5850 stayed at 40C furmark load (stock). It is an Asus DirectCU model though, so I did not need additional VRM cooling. It will work with the R5 though.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by staryoshi
View Post

The Spitfire compliments the 5850 very well. It takes up a HUGE amount of space though. With a quiet 140mm fan (1300RPM NZXT) my 5850 stayed at 40C furmark load (stock). It is an Asus DirectCU model though, so I did not need additional VRM cooling. It will work with the R5 though.

Spitfire compliments everything, I REALLY think it's over-kill though, you don't need that kind of cooling performance on a 5850, you'll reach the cards limit WAY before you reach the coolers, then again you can always use it on future GPUS.

With the price..with VRM + 140mm fan + Spitfire, your looking at around 110-120$, why not think about a 2nd 5850, knock that 120$ off of it....and decide if it'd just be nicer to go with another one? That's the way I'd look @ it at least ;o. You've more than likely reached your maximum cards limit, or are very close, I'd go for another card if your dyin' to spend some $$$!

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPaulG87
View Post

Spitfire compliments everything, I REALLY think it's over-kill though, you don't need that kind of cooling performance on a 5850, you'll reach the cards limit WAY before you reach the coolers, then again you can always use it on future GPUS.

With the price..with VRM + 140mm fan + Spitfire, your looking at around 110-120$, why not think about a 2nd 5850, knock that 120$ off of it....and decide if it'd just be nicer to go with another one? That's the way I'd look @ it at least ;o. You've more than likely reached your maximum cards limit, or are very close, I'd go for another card if your dyin' to spend some $$$!

Not true. I spent $64 for the spitfire shipped and I already had the fan ($10 value)

Using the stock DirectCU cooler I was able to run 975/1300 but had to crank up the fan speed to intolerable levels.

After installing the spitfire, I was able to easily do 1075/1300 (Another 100Mhz on the core, significant) and it ran silently as well as cooled the area around my Corsair h50. Like I said, the R5 is not necessary (for my situation) due to the card's superior design and higher-quality VRMs.

Taking the thermal strain off the 5850 frees it to reach even greater heights. Hell, I very nearly had a 50% core OC on AIR. I love the 5800 series, and I love the spitfire
Love them in the way a man can love a PC, that is.

The spitfire also allowed me to run my 5850 PASSIVELY. That's right, passive 5850
The load temps were in the mid 70's with no airflow. That's better than many stock coolers perform
Adding quiet airflow from case fans increased its performance as well. It's a monstrosity, but it's a truly amazing piece of technology that's worth the investment. I'd like to see a future revision that's got 3 heatpipes instead of 5 (better comparability with the graphics card) and has fewer fins (reduce interference with tower coolers). One that fit maybe a 92mm fan. That would be the sweet spot imo.

Owners of the spitfire know the truth to its amazingness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts