Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting this for my second PC which will also be a LGA775, however I would like to get the ThermalRight XP-120 but it dosn't say its compatible with LGA775. Would it work with the LGA775 motherboards?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg
I might be getting this for my second PC which will also be a LGA775, however I would like to get the ThermalRight XP-120 but it dosn't say its compatible with LGA775. Would it work with the LGA775 motherboards?
Not out of the box, no it wont fit.

However, with one of these: http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...roductid=17955

You'll be able to use it without any problems (provided that the caps on your motherboard don't get in the way)

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a thought. On the PC I use now I still have the stock heatsink. If I replaced the fan with a Vantec TD9238H Tornado 92mm fan how much temp reduction would I get (Idle: 36C, would I maybe get 31C idle). Which would be better for this PC, a new heatsink or a new fan.
I might also get some AS5 but I dont know if putting that on would void the warranty.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Just a thought. On the PC I use now I still have the stock heatsink. If I replaced the fan with a Vantec TD9238H Tornado 92mm fan how much temp reduction would I get (Idle: 36C, would I maybe get 31C idle). Which would be better for this PC, a new heatsink or a new fan.
I might also get some AS5 but I dont know if putting that on would void the warranty.
You might find that the Idle temps come down a bit with the stock heatsink+tornado, but the load temps might not benefit as much, as the poor design of the stock heatsink will hinder the performance.

Go for a new heatsink, new fan and AS5 if you can, you should see a good temp drop across the board.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
You might find that the Idle temps come down a bit with the stock heatsink+tornado, but the load temps might not benefit as much, as the poor design of the stock heatsink will hinder the performance.

Go for a new heatsink, new fan and AS5 if you can, you should see a good temp drop across the board.
How about
AS5 + ThermalRight XP-120 + Vantec TD9238H Tornado 92mm fan

That setup any good? and what would be the expected temp?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

How about
AS5 + ThermalRight XP-120 + Vantec TD9238H Tornado 92mm fan

That setup any good? and what would be the expected temp?
If possible i'd stick with a 120mm fan for the XP-120 (not even sure if you can fit a 92mm fan on there). Have a look at the Delta 120mm fans...some of them shift around 190cfm

Its hard to say what kind of temp drop you would get...what load temps are you getting at the mo?

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
If possible i'd stick with a 120mm fan for the XP-120 (not even sure if you can fit a 92mm fan on there). Have a look at the Delta 120mm fans...some of them shift around 190cfm

Its hard to say what kind of temp drop you would get...what load temps are you getting at the mo?
On average about 46C however it has hit 56.5 once on a hot day

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

On average about 46C however it has hit 56.5 once on a hot day
From 46oc i would expect it to go to around 38-40oc and from 56.5oc to around 46oc but don't hold me to it...its just personal experience speaking here.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Is the Tower112 better than the XP120? I know that it weighs a lot more

No, the Tower112 will give you temps around 1-2oc higher than the XP-120 in general. The XP is pretty much the best heatsink you can buy at the mo.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

No, the Tower112 will give you temps around 1-2oc higher than the XP-120 in general. The XP is pretty much the best heatsink you can buy at the mo.

Good but the Tower112 says that it supports 2 fans, does this one?

Just found a mega powerful fan (Delta)
CFM - 265
Part no - FFB1248XHE

Looks good maybe il get it, mega loud though 75dba

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Good but the Tower112 says that it supports 2 fans, does this one?

Just found a mega powerful fan (Delta)
CFM - 265
Part no - FFB1248XHE

Looks good maybe il get it, mega loud though 75dba

The XP-120 will only support one 120mm fan, whereas the Tower112 will support 2x90mm fans.

IMO, 1x120mm high CFM fan (especially the delta you listed) will easily match if not beat out 2x90mm tornado's in both performance, and in lower db.

Put it this way...

2x 120cfm 92mm Tornado's do not = 240cfm
but
1x 190cfm 120mm Delta (or more) does = 190cfm

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

The XP-120 will only support one 120mm fan, whereas the Tower112 will support 2x90mm fans.

IMO, 1x120mm high CFM fan (especially the delta you listed) will easily match if not beat out 2x90mm tornado's in both performance, and in lower db.

Put it this way...

2x 120cfm 92mm Tornado's do not = 240cfm
but
1x 190cfm 120mm Delta (or more) does = 190cfm

lol didnt think of that. Thanks very much. For the PC I got at the moment il get a Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) (FG-003-DE) providing it wont kill the waranty. Need to keep it cooler ready for an overclock in April when I get my other stuff

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

lol didnt think of that. Thanks very much. For the PC I got at the moment il get a Delta 120mm Focussed Flow Fan (EHE) (FG-003-DE) providing it wont kill the waranty. Need to keep it cooler ready for an overclock in April when I get my other stuff

If you are talking about the waranty on your CPU, i wouldnt worry too much. If it ever did die, Intel would have no way of finding out that you wasn't using the stock heatsink.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

If you are talking about the waranty on your CPU, i wouldnt worry too much. If it ever did die, Intel would have no way of finding out that you wasn't using the stock heatsink.

lol sneaky
. Doesn't the CPU get covered by the company you buy the PC off (in my case Mesh Computers PLC).

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

IT should, might want to ask them just to be sure.

Emailed them a few minutes ago. Takes them ages to send a reply though

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

lol sneaky
. Doesn't the CPU get covered by the company you buy the PC off (in my case Mesh Computers PLC).
Yes and No....If they built your machine with a Retail Intel CPU then you could return the CPU straight to Intel and bypass Mesh...However if they used an OEM CPU then you would have to return it to them (and make sure that you put the original Heatsink back on the CPU first)

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Yes and No....If they built your machine with a Retail Intel CPU then you could return the CPU straight to Intel and bypass Mesh...However if they used an OEM CPU then you would have to return it to them (and make sure that you put the original Heatsink back on the CPU first)
Don't have a clue what they used, maybe I should ask them. Might get a bit suspicious though

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Don't have a clue what they used, maybe I should ask them. Might get a bit suspicious though

The best way to do it would be when you install the new heatsink, take a note of the serial number and any other info printed on the top of the CPU, send that info to Intel and ask them if its covered under warrenty by them.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts