Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i was shopping around for a waterblock and sadly, Canada's selection is garbage....2 stores only that i've found who carry any kind of watercooling...

anywho...i came across a waterblock for 50 bucks CAN and was about to buy it to start my homemade kit when this kit caught my eye...

the price? 120 CAN after all is said and done (taxes etc) so i said to myself....i could hobble together a pitiful system that could be problem prone or i could save me the hasle and get this sucker...

so i did...its a breeze to install, infact all i removed was my ram, video card and CPU heatsink and fan...

nice clean install, although the pump and the radiator could be bigger, ofcourse i can always replace em with homemade stuff...

results?

Case temps stayed the same, hovering around 29/30 degrees but the CPU temps went DOWN...with stock heatsink/fan the CPU temp hovered around 44 idle and rose to 52 with Prime95 torture test...

now....the case temp is still 30 degrees, but the CPU idle temp is 39 degrees after about an hour of running and went up only to 41 degrees under Primer95 Torture test....didnt run it for 24 hours....but still!!!

i know temps arent accurate, but comparing to eachother, they show a drastic decrease in temps with a basic watercooling setup...

BTW: the CPU is OC'd to 200 mhz running at 2.2gigz...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
You are also lucky that your AMD chip doesnt put out a shat-ton of heat like P4's, especially Prescotts, do. The Aquarius 2 doesnt have the cooling capacity to handle a Pentium 4 cpu, for the most part. It can be used as a near silent system for cpus that are not overclocked, but for hardcore overclocking the Aquarius is not usually suggested. I am glad you had good results, as I had heard of many people buying that kit and being very disappointed. Good temps, so rock on.

Stores in Canada:
www.criticool.com
www.bigfootcomputers.com
www.vibecomputers.com
www.lux-design.com
Home Depot

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

You are also lucky that your AMD chip doesnt put out a shat-ton of heat like P4's, especially Prescotts, do. The Aquarius 2 doesnt have the cooling capacity to handle a Pentium 4 cpu, for the most part. It can be used as a near silent system for cpus that are not overclocked, but for hardcore overclocking the Aquarius is not usually suggested. I am glad you had good results, as I had heard of many people buying that kit and being very disappointed. Good temps, so rock on.

Stores in Canada:
www.criticool.com
www.bigfootcomputers.com
www.vibecomputers.com
www.lux-design.com
Home Depot

you are right about the problems with the P4, if you are putting off a lot of heat with your CPU the Aquarius II works jsut as good as the factory heatsink, I had that unit and it performed exactly as the factory HS did but took more power.
I recommend getting something else in the way of liquid cooling for your system, that unit will not make a difference when you OC higher and I also head from the salesperson that the waterblock in the Aquarius II system even with anti-corrosive will rot away in just over 6 months.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Like it was said before, it's a good kit to have a silent pc, but wont do anything special for overclocking.

Good job though, if a silent system is what you were aiming for. I get similar temps with air, 38idle and up to 49 with prime95 24hrs. I just have to deal with alot more noise.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I have an aquarius II in my broke system... personally I think it was a waste... the temps just really aren't worth it... but if you are going for a silent system... i supposed I can agree... I had to strap on an extra fan though to keep the temps at 50c... that **** was at like 55 and jumping.. on a non overclocked xp3200 its possible i layed the thermal stuff too thick...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts