Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm building myself a new computer. Still not positive on the mobo, but I will have 2 4870x2's or 3 4870x2's installed, as well as the i7 940 (2.93GHz) for my processor. I don't want to bother with water cooling when air cooling really does accomplish the same thing, a lot easier and without the worry of me ****ing up and getting liquid everywhere. I haven't decided on a case yet, but the two cases I am considering are the Armor+ and the 1200. I need the case which is going to run cooler, also any heatsink recommendations for my processor would be cool too.

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115201
Graphics Card: 2-3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102768

Cases: Thermaltake Armor+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133056

Antec 1200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129043

Personally I find the 1200 more aesthetically pleasing. But I want which ever case will run cooler. I will be upping the fan speed on the cards to ~65-70% Noise isn't too huge of an issue for me, I can totally deal with listening to fans. Also, if you have any other case recommendations for around the price of these, I urge you to post them and state why they are better. That'll be all, thanks in advance to any suggestions.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Antec 1200, and only 2 4870x2s,

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I love how the Antec looks. Also, thanks so much for that link. My original plan is to only buy 2 4870x2 but I might upgrade with a 3rd later, so i figured I'd also throw that in there. To be honest I have no idea how to control the fan speeds on the case, I plan on running them 100% all the time. Is there enough room for a 1000W power supply?

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HEiGHT iZ NaSTy View Post
Thanks guys, I love how the Antec looks. Also, thanks so much for that link. My original plan is to only buy 2 4870x2 but I might upgrade with a 3rd later, so i figured I'd also throw that in there. To be honest I have no idea how to control the fan speeds on the case, I plan on running them 100% all the time. Is there enough room for a 1000W power supply?
Yes there is plenty of room for a 1000watt power supply. you control the fans by nobs on the case

If you want to add more fans here is a good fan controller

http://www.crazypc.com/products/82974B.html

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Quote:

Just FYI, there is no point in getting 3 4870x2's, unless you are going to use the 3rd for a different monitor, as crossfire is limited to 4 gpus.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by urgrandpasdog View Post
Just FYI, there is no point in getting 3 4870x2's, unless you are going to use the 3rd for a different monitor, as crossfire is limited to 4 gpus.
I plan on having dual Samsung 2433BW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001309

I'm not sure it'll really make too big of a difference, and do you really think that it will help a good deal to add more fans?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by conductor609
View Post

Antec 1200

I would add some more exhaust fans for those 4870x2's personally, they're pretty hot iirc

exhaust fans on the cards or in the case. I'm somewhat new to building, in school we aren't working with top notch stuff so nothing is running too hot.

·
Initializing...
23,796 Posts
Go with the Antec 1200 you'll love it. Lots of room to work with.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have 2 armor +, good stuff.
the Antec is a nice one too, I say go with whichever you think it looks better....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Antec 1200 gets my vote. Unless you plan to mod your Armor but cutting cable managment holes, etc.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Get the 1200, amazing air flow, very roomy, and pretty decent cable management with the pre-cut holes

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan
View Post

Get the 1200, amazing air flow, very roomy, and pretty decent cable management with the pre-cut holes

Very true, I just wish that the motherboard tray was removable. I'm wondering what kind of mods I could do this case other then the LED's, I also want to add in that extra fan on the side panel. Will it be necessary to cut any other holes for a fan? Also, what kind of mods have you guys performed hands on with a 1200, I'm totally interested in tweaking this thing to be unique, aside from paint of course, I'm debating on an acrylic paint job.

Also, I want to thank you all, overclock.net is a huge help.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Well cutting some extra holes on the motherboard tray to hide some cables back there is a good start for sure.

Also if your PSU has 120mm fan, make a hole on the bottom where the PSU sits and flip it over. That way you can get a little more length for hiding/routing cables.

I highly doubt you'll need to cut any more holes for fans, the airflow is great as it is, if you want to add the side fan make sure whatever CPU cooler you have, gives it clearance.

Other than that, the paint is really up to you
. Good luck with it though, make sure to post pictures up once you are done with it
, and get your cable management rated in the "Rate My Cables" thread.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cs_maan View Post
Well cutting some extra holes on the motherboard tray to hide some cables back there is a good start for sure.

Also if your PSU has 120mm fan, make a hole on the bottom where the PSU sits and flip it over. That way you can get a little more length for hiding/routing cables.

I highly doubt you'll need to cut any more holes for fans, the airflow is great as it is, if you want to add the side fan make sure whatever CPU cooler you have, gives it clearance.

Other than that, the paint is really up to you
. Good luck with it though, make sure to post pictures up once you are done with it
, and get your cable management rated in the "Rate My Cables" thread.
Will do for sure, whats the average time it should take me for all of my cable management?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Will do for sure, whats the average time it should take me for all of my cable management?
Well for my 690, when I got it I did cable management right away, it took me about 1.5-2 hours, because I really wanted to take my time and make sure I can hide the cables as best I can.

Just remember not to get lazy halfway through and it should turn out looking great

P.S. And remember, zip ties are your best friend, also I recommend using some kind of tape (I prefer electrical) to hold down the bigger lengths of cable so they don't go every and get in your way.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts