Overclock.net banner

Thermaltake Big Typhoon

340 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mfb412
I've been using the Big Typhoon for a few years now and my temps are pretty reasonable, Q6600 3.2GHz 30C/60C idle/load (CPU and BT lapped), but I'm looking to push it further and with it getting warmer out I'm looking to beef up my cooling.

How does the BT stack up against the best of today, would it be worth changing to something newer?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
If your temps are safe and your happy then there is zero reason to change.
If you mod your BT, you can get great temps. My sig-rig loads at 46 degrees on average. 42 when room is cool w/ AC on.

I think that those temps are comparable to a TRUE or Xiggy with 120's.

The 120x25 is just a hollow shroud. It(as well as the CPU is lapped, and has styrofoam around the gaps on either side of the fin arrays to direct air thru the fins instead of around them. It is a bit loud though because it isnt hooked to my controller.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by KinZee
View Post

If you mod your BT, you can get great temps. My sig-rig loads at 46 degrees on average. 42 when room is cool w/ AC on.

I think that those temps are comparable to a TRUE or Xiggy with 120's.

The 120x25 is just a hollow shroud. It(as well as the CPU is lapped, and has styrofoam around the gaps on either side of the fin arrays to direct air thru the fins instead of around them. It is a bit loud though because it isnt hooked to my controller.

wow that look fantastic :O
See less See more
Ya, I agree that the BT is comparable to the best air cooling setups out there. You can try improving the general airflow in your case, as that can make a BIG difference. If you can, use a fan to occupy the empty 5.25" bays you have, as an intake. This way, you get fresh air directly over where the heatsink is drawing air. Or you can try cutting a hole on the panel directly over the heatsink, and optionally putting a fan there, supplying the heatsink with fresh air.
I think the BT would choke on a highly overclocked quad, at least compared to the top air coolers of today, but it'll do fine on a lower clocked quad and it's perfectly fine for a dual core, as there's not the big heatload like a quad.
I have this case.

The 25cm fan is mounted on the inside of the case so it almost comes in contact with the Big Typhoon, which has kept me from replacing the BT's fan but I think I'll work something out.

Any good fans you'd recommend for the BT? I can also post some pics of my PC later if anyone would mind giving me some tips as I've never been great at optimizing airflow.

Thanks.
well, for 120x25, id recommend silverstone FM121's
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.