Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to purchase the Thermaltake BIG water SE water cooling system.
here is a link to the exact model: http://www.thermaltake.com/watercool...l-w0005-01.htm (cl-w0005-01)
It seems to be fairly chip over here, 120$ shipped, i was curious: where does it stand comparing to an basic custom water cooling system for barely crosses the 200$ barrier...
I heard that the water pump used by this system sucks, is it standard and can be replaced with any other pump i will choose?, will i be able to also add an GPU block to the system with this modification(or without it).

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well you can purchase a GPU block and simply add it too your loop. You could run directly to the cpu first, then too a radiator too get rid of cpu heat. Then go to your gpu and on to a second radiator and back to your resevoir.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
If you are already talking about replacing parts on a kit, a kit is not for you. It might seem cheaper, but in the longrun it isn't. Check out my post from this threadHERE

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say that this system can do as good as gigabyte galaxy 3d, you'll have yo explain your self if you want to convince me otherwise, except the pump thing, i read only good about this system...

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
You get what you pay for...a low end cooling system for a cheap price. It will work...but not spectacular. A custom kit or a high end swiftech kit will perform much better.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Galaxy 3D and BIG water are both low end... and costs the same(10 bucks more or less) i can afford my self to spend 250 bucks for custom water cooling, unfortunately over here it costs about twice of that...

·
Registered
175 Posts
If a kit is more in tune with what you are comfortable with I would just get it and go from there.If your really looking for good performnce to overclock with then I would suggest the swiftech kit over this big water.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
I just sent you a PM about a possible way around the cost of a custom setup.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonMango

if you're looking to get into water coolingand plan on upgrading the loop inthe future, then DO NOT get the TT bigwater kit - it flat out SUCKS

save up atleast $200 and pick up a decent swiftech kit, which uses all standard parts, and is easily upgadable, and will perform MUCH better than the bigwater will

In many respects you are right .But i have a friend with a thermatake w/c set up and it cools his 3000 venice perfectly well to allow a 2.6ghz o/c from 1.8 stock. Kits are a hatred of mine but i have to speak up for this one it seems to work a lot better than the Gigabyte Galaxy i have read some bad and good reviews about both

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Not that I'm defending Thermaltake or anything but although it's a beginner's water cooling kit I still think it's pretty good.
Many people say it has a small 90L/hour pump but I believe a bigger pump would not make much of a difference (1C lower perhaps) as the design of the block and the small radiator both do not require a bigger pump.

However I agree with CrimsonMango "if you plan on upgrading the loop in the future then do not get the TT bigwater kit".

All in all I still think it's good for a first time water cooling kit.
In fact I'm getting myself one very soon.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_one

Not that I'm defending Thermaltake or anything but although it's a beginner's water cooling kit I still think it's pretty good.
Many people say it has a small 90L/hour pump but I believe a bigger pump would not make much of a difference (1C lower perhaps) as the design of the block and the small radiator both do not require a bigger pump.

However I agree with CrimsonMango "if you plan on upgrading the loop in the future then do not get the TT bigwater kit".

All in all I still think it's good for a first time water cooling kit.
In fact I'm getting myself one very soon.

I agree, for the first timer it is all good, it works perfectly fine, its reliable and comes with everything to get you going, you can upgrade it if needed but just might need to play around with some hoses thats all, no big deal if you no what you are doing (even if you dont), its not hard.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by markuk3

But i have a friend with a thermatake w/c set up and it cools his 3000 venice perfectly well to allow a 2.6ghz o/c from 1.8 stock.

i have a friend that has... well had, a 3000+ venice, and it did 2.7ghz with an XP-90 and a med. speed panaflo fan on it - the same processor also did 2.5ghz with the stock HSF

but in all respects, the bigwater is just fine if you have a system with a low heat output, but if you're putting it on something that outputs over 100w of heat, then you're gonna suffer

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
I would take a XP-90, XP-120, or a BigTyphoon over the Bigwater SE. They give about the same temps and they are cheaper.

The problem around the upgrading of the system is the tubing, the pump and the fittings of your upgrade. It will end up costing you more in the longrun. I don't know why anyone would even consider a kit then adding a bigger pump or a different rad etc...buying a kit then switching a part out later on is just a waste of money. You are looking at spending $120-150 on the kit that comes with everything and then spending $50 later on with whatever part you upgrade. You could have a much better system for the $170 right away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts