Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need a horizontal m/b setup chasis for my next project. I was deciding between MountainMods and Caselabs S8. However the premium price of these two really put me into an unpleasant budget balancing dilemma.

I think it's today or yesterday, Thermaltake just launched their Core series chasis. The Core X9 is ****** huge. 640 mm of depth!!! supports dual 480 rads on top AND on two sides!! Fully modular and the most important thing is, it only sells for $169??!! ****** Christ...I just had to preorder it...

On specs page, it states that the material of the chasis is SPCC. A quick google shows that SPCC is a standard for cold rolled steel sheets in Japan. I have absolutely no idea how does SPCC compare to Aluminium when it comes to strength and weight. Can overclock gurus share some insights and ideas on Thermaltake chasis quality?

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strength is a tricky word for comparing metals. Lets say steel is more rigid then aluminium. So thin steel bent in u shapes or creased can resist bending forces better then Aluminum bent in the same shape. But steel is heaver then aluminium in almost all configurations. It is possible that for an aluminum structure to have the same rigidity it must equal the weight of a steel structure of the same rigidity but that's dumb. steel is good at some structures and alu is good at others.

ID also like ot point you too the thermal take V21 thats newly arrived on the market for $69

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can't comment on MM since I haven't seen one, but I can say that CaseLabs build quality will far surpass Thermaltake (which probably uses .030" steel vs .090" aluminum in CaseLabs). The Core X9 is huge and the price is right, so if it fits your needs it may be a good bet
wink.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts