Overclock.net banner
3481 - 3500 of 3579 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Invalid Media
4,786 Posts
Did a top-to-bottom clean recently. Nothing new in terms of parts except RAM and I threw on a red iPhone case to match the machine. I forgot how shiny the Monsoon fittings are when they're polished...(...)
Very nice indeed !
Also, can you give an approximation of how the center plate of a P7 (NOT counting the wings) is compared to a P5 re. dimensions / size ? Tx. I might be building another Core P project early in '21

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry- yeah I meant the extended chassis bit on the P7 (P6 😁).
The extended chassis are basically like if you cut the main chassis in half. The hinges are very solid and thick too.

Very nice indeed !
Also, can you give an approximation of how the center plate of a P7 (NOT counting the wings) is compared to a P5 re. dimensions / size ? Tx. I might be building another Core P project early in '21
Other than the holes for the hinges to the extended chassis, main chassis of the P7 is the exact same as the P5. I can only imagine what amazing-ness you would build in a P7 - will def. be looking forward to your updates if you do.

• Rep+
Reactions: J7SC

·
Invalid Media
4,786 Posts
The extended chassis are basically like if you cut the main chassis in half. The hinges are very solid and thick too.

Other than the holes for the hinges to the extended chassis, main chassis of the P7 is the exact same as the P5. I can only imagine what amazing-ness you would build in a P7 - will def. be looking forward to your updates if you do.
Thanks; that's what I was hoping...but will still have to Dremel 24pin area w/ P7 then for eATX mobo...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks; that's what I was hoping...but will still have to Dremel 24pin area w/ P7 then for eATX mobo...
Yeah I'm still puzzled about the placement of the holes. I was kind of set on getting the Maximus XII Extreme but just don't think I want to deal with that much drilling to run f'ing cables.

·
Invalid Media
4,786 Posts
Yeah I'm still puzzled about the placement of the holes. I was kind of set on getting the Maximus XII Extreme but just don't think I want to deal with that much drilling to run f'ing cables.
Early days still, but I'm thinking 2x MORA3 420s as 'the wings' for the P7. I normally build HEDTs but that Ryzen 5950X looks very interesting for work and play. We'll see over the next few months, ditto re. GPUs. That said, the Core P5 2950X 2x 2080 Ti is still more than capable of handling (exclusively) 4K and then some. It's just that 'that build-bug' is itching again...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Applied a mirror sheet on my waterway to see how it looks. Stuck a Bitspower fitting I had laying around in just for good measure as I may end up using them. The mirror stuff is is plastic but I'm amazed at how strong of a mirror finish it is. It looks like a legit mirror. It's quite thick and the adhesive is strong but came off relatively easily and didn't leave any residue. A guy on Reddit turned me onto this idea and says he hasn't had any issues. I mentioned it earlier but I don't like how acrylic looks and I absolutely don't care about the RGB. In fact this is perfect because I won't have to worry about running the RGB cable.

What I really wanted was a black version of this because I think the mirror might be a bit too much - and obviously black wouldn't be quite as reflective - but just not finding anything. Closest thing was black "glossy" vinyl which isn't even glossy and still has to be heat-applied. If my only options are that and this mirror stuff, I'm going the latter for sure. It does match the tubes nicely. The rad is my old HWLabs SR2 360 which I just placed to give me an idea of reusing my SR2 480 will look like. Still 50/50 on whether to go slimmer (this is 60mm) as it may make runs to waterway easier but I don't even know what my runs will be right now, so it's up in the air.

Early days still, but I'm thinking 2x MORA3 420s as 'the wings' for the P7. I normally build HEDTs but that Ryzen 5950X looks very interesting for work and play. We'll see over the next few months, ditto re. GPUs. That said, the Core P5 2950X 2x 2080 Ti is still more than capable of handling (exclusively) 4K and then some. It's just that 'that build-bug' is itching again...
I'm in the same boat. My 2080Ti with XOC BIOS is still killing it so I skipped the 3080/90 - first time skipping the new generation of a card - and waiting for the 80Ti or Super or whatever they call it. Gives me plenty of time to get my tube runs and other things figured out.

My build bug was itching so much I bought a Maximus XII Formula and 10850K but then took a deep breath and returned both. Seems like realistically that new 80 won't be out for at least several months and I figure at worst I can re-buy the mobo and CPU but there may be new options, I could still be convinced to go Ryzen and/or there'll be lower prices on what I want, so don't see the point of just sitting on equipment for that long.

·
Invalid Media
4,786 Posts
Applied a mirror sheet on my waterway to see how it looks. Stuck a Bitspower fitting I had laying around in just for good measure as I may end up using them. The mirror stuff is is plastic but I'm amazed at how strong of a mirror finish it is. It looks like a legit mirror. It's quite thick and the adhesive is strong but came off relatively easily and didn't leave any residue. A guy on Reddit turned me onto this idea and says he hasn't had any issues. I mentioned it earlier but I don't like how acrylic looks and I absolutely don't care about the RGB. In fact this is perfect because I won't have to worry about running the RGB cable.

What I really wanted was a black version of this because I think the mirror might be a bit too much - and obviously black wouldn't be quite as reflective - but just not finding anything. Closest thing was black "glossy" vinyl which isn't even glossy and still has to be heat-applied. If my only options are that and this mirror stuff, I'm going the latter for sure. (...)

View attachment 2463533

(...)
Oh that adhesive mirror sheeting is nice, especially with the tubing you have there. ! While I'm still in my black / white / grey mode, this combo could be VERY interesting for a future build. Do you have a link to the mirror sheeting name / shop ? Tx :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: J7SC

·
Registered
6 Posts
After updating the forum, messages before January 24, 2018 do not look corectro, is this true for everyone? He started building his project on Core p5, and there were a lot of ideas, now they are not visible. I'm sorry about my English from Russia.

·
Lost in SoCal
869 Posts
Yes, picture from a long time ago did not make the transition to the new site- it broke most of them.

You can manually copy the link to a new web page to see the old photos / links.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anyone gotten any of the beefy Nvidia 3000 series cards and added it into a P5 case, like the 3080 or 3090 (3-slot cards)? Wondering if the P5's vertical bracket would be able to support the weight of a 3080/3090, or if additional modifications would be necessary (and what those might be).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Has anyone gotten any of the beefy Nvidia 3000 series cards and added it into a P5 case, like the 3080 or 3090 (3-slot cards)? Wondering if the P5's vertical bracket would be able to support the weight of a 3080/3090, or if additional modifications would be necessary (and what those might be).

I cut a small piece of ZMT tubing (shortened it after this photo was taken) to support the GPU tray. This was for a 3080 FTW3 (thick boi) on the outer-most slot.

·
Registered
832 Posts
3481 - 3500 of 3579 Posts