Overclock.net banner
3541 - 3551 of 3551 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
I’m thinking of going push/pull and also having the pull fans inside the case instead of 4 fans on either side of the rad on the outside, otherwise it becomes very thick up front and will create more work going into the distro plate which defeats the purpose of the distro making runs easier. I could spring for a slim rad I guess. My HWLabs SR2 is 60mm. It just performs well and I don’t particularly need to buy a new rad.

Looks like I just need longer m4.0 screws to go through the back of inside fans.

Also not sure about the wiring for the front case panel being in the way of the top fan, though I have never actually used any of the front panel ports because that side of the case is right up against the wall and I removed the circuit board prior to powder coating so could literally just leave it off and forget it altogether.

I also had a few beers and thought about taking one of the P7 side chassis, turning it horizontal and mounting it to the top of the P5 with a slight front bias to make sure I don’t prevent the back panel from coming off. Large enough nuts and bolts should be fine. Then I can mount another rad horizontally to that and things above it.

So far this build is going nowhere fast, lol. Just so many ideas coming to me and tough because I need to preserve the powder coat so I don’t really have the ability to do much trial and error.

Edit: here's what I was talking about with the P7 chassis joining the top of the P5.

I'd cover it in either a vinyl wrap or the mirror stuff I was going to use and cut holes in the bottom half for the rad/fans. I have an existing HWLabs SR-2 360 I could re-use or maybe get one with with a top and bottom port to make runs easier. It could go from CPU or VRM to "bottom" port of the rad, then out the "top" to the next rad. In the top half of the P7 section I can mount some things including my Hue+ controller and a Barrow LCD monitor I've been checking out.

I'm completely convinced I could pull this off but it also just seems way too absurd and I know it'll be such a headache. A little nervous about having to pick this entire thing up to move it to the living room to do any real work/cleaning too. The weight I can handle but even this current build is a little precarious when it comes to getting a tight grip from the sides.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I looked into this distro (before going with the one from Barrow) and when I inquired with a vendor about using external pump they mentioned an additional part you had to buy that apparently doesn't come with it and they weren't sure where to get one.

I also wanted to keep using my D5 and went with the Barrow. New build hasn't started yet but it feels solid. I would look into it.
Which barrow plate did you end up going with? I don't really like the big L Shaped one but the water channels actually make sense on it. The straight "I" shaped one, the water channels are the dumbest setup, the whole 4 individual rads thing isa bit stupid to me....

Thats why i liked the Bykski one, but that damn pump! I've been enquiring about how to use an external pump (some ad's say you can use one no problem but no info on HOW to use one....)
From close examination of the all photo's ive been able to find of any of the Bykski Distros with DDC pumps, it seems like theres 2 holes drilled in the plate, then a square adapter plate overtop of them, then the pump mounts into that (and lines up with the inlet/outlet holes). I just wonder if those 2 holes are threaded holes, so if you remove the square adapter plate you could just screw in a couple fittings and away you go.....

I have a feeling the piece your guy was referring too is the square adapter, if you look at say a P7 Distro plate, it runs a D5 and the plate looks like a similar drilled hole/adapter setup, im guessing hes talking about that but as said, i literally havn't found a single place to buy one....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Which barrow plate did you end up going with? I don't really like the big L Shaped one but the water channels actually make sense on it. The straight "I" shaped one, the water channels are the dumbest setup, the whole 4 individual rads thing isa bit stupid to me....

Thats why i liked the Bykski one, but that damn pump! I've been enquiring about how to use an external pump (some ad's say you can use one no problem but no info on HOW to use one....)
From close examination of the all photo's ive been able to find of any of the Bykski Distros with DDC pumps, it seems like theres 2 holes drilled in the plate, then a square adapter plate overtop of them, then the pump mounts into that (and lines up with the inlet/outlet holes). I just wonder if those 2 holes are threaded holes, so if you remove the square adapter plate you could just screw in a couple fittings and away you go.....

I have a feeling the piece your guy was referring too is the square adapter, if you look at say a P7 Distro plate, it runs a D5 and the plate looks like a similar drilled hole/adapter setup, im guessing hes talking about that but as said, i literally havn't found a single place to buy one....
yeah it’s not the L shaped one. I can’t use that because I have a 480mm rad. I believe the model name is the LRC 2.0 or something like that.

Edit: Actually I guess they're both called LRC 2.0 but here it is: Barrow LRC 2.0 Aurora Waterway Plate for Thermaltake Core P5 Open Type PC Case (titanrig.com)

·
Registered
567 Posts
yeah it’s not the L shaped one. I can’t use that because I have a 480mm rad. I believe the model name is the LRC 2.0 or something like that.

Edit: Actually I guess they're both called LRC 2.0 but here it is: Barrow LRC 2.0 Aurora Waterway Plate for Thermaltake Core P5 Open Type PC Case (titanrig.com)
Ah yeah thats the other one i was looking at, just the water paths are just weird, i mean they make sense for a Rad setup like how the pics show but who would really have that setup.....Did you just not use some of the paths? got any pics of it in use? Just trying to figure out if i should keep trying down the road of the Bykski board, or give up and go for the Barrow like yours....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ah yeah thats the other one i was looking at, just the water paths are just weird, i mean they make sense for a Rad setup like how the pics show but who would really have that setup.....Did you just not use some of the paths? got any pics of it in use? Just trying to figure out if i should keep trying down the road of the Bykski board, or give up and go for the Barrow like yours....
I haven’t started building yet but yea I’m not getting four 120 rads to run that ridiculous looking setup lol. I’ll use whichever ports help me do straight runs because I’m using metal tubes, the only pre-bent type I have is a 90 and I’m trying to avoid having to do a bunch of fitting-tube-fitting-tube type of connections.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I haven’t started building yet but yea I’m not getting four 120 rads to run that ridiculous looking setup lol. I’ll use whichever ports help me do straight runs because I’m using metal tubes, the only pre-bent type I have is a 90 and I’m trying to avoid having to do a bunch of fitting-tube-fitting-tube type of connections.
Sounds like it'll be a nice looking build though, my last one was a all straight with elbows build, looked nice but im in it to bend it all this time (Though i may also just go back to a soft tube build, havn't done one in years, i kinda miss those super chunky thick walled tubes)

Keen to see how the board looks and how you set it up though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The more I try to envision runs with this distro, the more I realize how much easier it would be to just to reuse most of my current setup with a new res tube and maybe new pump or pump-res combo, then essentially make the metal tubes mirror the current runs. I actually ordered the EK quantum kinetic 300 res/pump combo just in case, as it's a free return if unused.

Not being able to get my hands on a 3080Ti is really f'ing this entire process up. I'm getting my fittings this weekend and I guess I'll have drain and remove my 2080Ti and stick it in to help me nail down exactly how the runs will go. There's a possibility I say screw it and either use the EK combo or just get a new res tube in clear color and a new EK pump for my existing Monsoon setup since the current one has been running a decent while. Of course then I'd have to sell my EK Quantum D5 + top combo and the distro and that perhaps wouldn't be a big deal if I could post to sell on this site but I of course lack the rep. I'd also be left with a bunch of useless fittings which weren't cheap. This hobby can be really annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Really doesn't bode well for me buying one lmao. I think the only one i would buy, that actually makes any sense at all is the "L" shaped one, as i run a triple rad it'd actually all fit but yeah i think the same half the time, just keep running with the Tube res i have (EK pump top/tube res combo, though i think this time round i'd buy a replacement, longer tube).

Ugh, want to run something different and colourful/cool looking like a distro plate but its just a big let down on how they're made ....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Really doesn't bode well for me buying one lmao. I think the only one i would buy, that actually makes any sense at all is the "L" shaped one, as i run a triple rad it'd actually all fit but yeah i think the same half the time, just keep running with the Tube res i have (EK pump top/tube res combo, though i think this time round i'd buy a replacement, longer tube).

Ugh, want to run something different and colourful/cool looking like a distro plate but its just a big let down on how they're made ....
Yeah I’m gonna aim to use the distro because I want to do something new and have a new look but this is clearly more restrictive flow just for aesthetics and if it becomes too big of a pain I’m not going to force it. If I don’t use it and you decide you still want it I’ll sell you the distro for cheap, lol.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well after some thinking I nixed the distro. Just too many runs will end up being pointlessly complicated and reduce flow for no particularly good reason and while the aesthetics might be cool I realized I paid all this money for a custom powder-coating on the case just to cover up 1/5th of it with a distro and mirror panel.

Enter the Bitspower 400mm reservoir. Was on sale on Performance-PCs for $37 and for the size and the fact it includes a down-stem I don't feel bad about wasting the $120 on the distro. If anyone wants the distro, by the way: I'll sell for $60 + shipping, lol.

• Rep+
Reactions: dwolvin

·
Registered
567 Posts
I might have thought about taking it off your hands if you were in Australia :p

Alas i've dropped the Distro too and gone back to the trusty old EK D5 CSQ Res (the older square looking pump head not the rounded one, which imo looks better. Same one as Jay from jayztwocent is using in his latest skunkworks rebuild video).

Just currently designing up a new bracket to fit into the 2 screw holes for the stock TT pump shelf (at the bottom under your res there) then i'm going to 3D Print it out!
Look into getting a longer res tube too hopefully fill out some of the space..... depending on overhang from my 3080 FTW3 (which i just got a Bykski block for).

Looked at a couple of universal distros but just going to be too much work i think.

Another thing i might buy is a set of Jonsbo F1R fans out of Aliexpress with the "reverse blade" design (so you don't have the motor frame in the way, purely for looks), this way the air will be "pulled" through the rear of the case/dust filter rather than pushed through it (where all the dust hits the fan/rad first), probably set them up in push/pull with my tried and true Gentle Typhoons :)

3541 - 3551 of 3551 Posts