Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The case I have is a HAF 922.

The Thermaltake Frio is mounted so that the exhaust fan points upward toward the large 200mm case exaust.

Has anyone else mounted a cooler like this? Is it good for temps?

Below the fan are two 5770's. Would the cooler be recycling hot air from these cards?

Any help would really be appreciated!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thats the best way to go because the 200mm case fan will help pull air through the cooler. Depending on which brand of 5770's you have, most of the hot air will vented out the back of the case if they have the reference cooler. Your case should have very good airflow. If you keep your cables tidy you should have nothing to worry about. Hope this helps
smile.gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrby;13134754
Thats the best way to go because the 200mm case fan will help pull air through the cooler. Depending on which brand of 5770's you have, most of the hot air will vented out the back of the case if they have the reference cooler. Your case should have very good airflow. If you keep your cables tidy you should have nothing to worry about. Hope this helps
smile.gif
Thanks.

I was just worried, seeing that heat rises, that the heat from the GFX cards would make it's way into the intake fan.

I haven't seen anyone mount the cooler like that before. Unless anyone here has?

·
Registered
472 Posts
surely it will suck hot air from GPUs...even if you have stock cooling and hot air goes from back of your cards, air around them is hotter so frio will suck it in

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeeyee;13136619
surely it will suck hot air from GPUs...even if you have stock cooling and hot air goes from back of your cards, air around them is hotter so frio will suck it in
So what you're saying is, regardless of what direction the frio is pointing, it will still suck in hot air from the GPUs?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie;13137378
So what you're saying is, regardless of what direction the frio is pointing, it will still suck in hot air from the GPUs?
I think so. I always try to send the air out the back. From my understanding, you want more air being pushed into your case then going out. This way, the pressure builds up inside the case, and pressure always wants equilibrium, so it'll find its own way out, keeping air moving. If you have too much exhausts, air will sit in your case.

So if you mount your Frio pointing up to a big exhaust, you're almost certain to get some GPU heat in there. What I plan to do in my Antec 900 is essentially put every fan to intake I got, with one exhaust out the back where my CPU shoots out. I've got no numbers to justify any of this, it's just my understanding from the reading I've done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasanovaFly;13137534
I think so. I always try to send the air out the back. From my understanding, you want more air being pushed into your case then going out. This way, the pressure builds up inside the case, and pressure always wants equilibrium, so it'll find its own way out, keeping air moving. If you have too much exhausts, air will sit in your case.

So if you mount your Frio pointing up to a big exhaust, you're almost certain to get some GPU heat in there. What I plan to do in my Antec 900 is essentially put every fan to intake I got, with one exhaust out the back where my CPU shoots out. I've got no numbers to justify any of this, it's just my understanding from the reading I've done.
What will be interesting to see is whether or not the GPU heat will significantly effect the CPU temps.

Most of the heat from the GPUs will be exhausted in the other direction, so will they actually get that hot. I could understand if the GPU exhaust was pointed directly at the CPU intake, maybe that could have an effect.

What kind of difference are we looking at? 2 maybe 3 degrees? I could live with that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
if you mount the cooler like u did, fun directly sucks hot air in from GPUs
if you mount it so the pull fan will be pushing air to the back fan, push fan will not suck directly the hot air...only cooler will be little bit hotter from air around GPUs

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeeyee;13140423
if you mount the cooler like u did, fun directly sucks hot air in from GPUs
if you mount it so the pull fan will be pushing air to the back fan, push fan will not suck directly the hot air...only cooler will be little bit hotter from air around GPUs
What I'm wondering is, will it have a major effect on CPU temps, or will it just be a 2-3 degree difference?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie;13141127
What I'm wondering is, will it have a major effect on CPU temps, or will it just be a 2-3 degree difference?
well I have never tested this kind of cooler orientation so cant tell you exactly

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish there was a simpler way to change the direction of the fans, rather than dismantling the whole computer, pulling out the motherboard and reattaching the heatsink!

·
Registered
472 Posts
that's is the biggest minus for frio...When I first saw that stupid mounting system I said to myself, ok for once in a while I can swallow that...but when I had to re-seated later and mount it again when i bought gelid extreme I almost threw it out of the window...later when I had chance a bought D14

what temps do you have now?

·
Registered
472 Posts
no one can tell exactly...you know what temps do you have now on GPUs and CPU
moutn the 200mm fan a compare it...

but I would say it will help because GPUs will be a little bit cooler so frio will not suck that hot air

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.