Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here is the Thermaltake info thread and this one hs been a long time coming

Now this thread will not have every Thermaltake PSU ever made that would make the thread too long

So if its not in here its either not worth walking about or not very good yes i wont talk about all the crappy TR-2´s

Now Thermaltake like Cooler Master does not have a very good reputation they like Cooler Master has prettty ruined their reputation

But like Cooler Master they do have good PSU´s and they dont deserve all the trash talk that they often get

So i will talk about what PSU´s i think are decent to great from Thermaltake

First off is the brand new Tough Power Gold series

This is a semi modular 80 plus gold series with the TPD-0550M/TPD-0650M/TPD-0750M models being made by CWT

The TP-750M and TP-850M are made by Enhance Electronics

No other info at this point in time

Next is Tough Power Grand series they are all semi modular 80 plus gold and platinum rated units

The TPG-650M and TPG-750M are CWT units but all the others are HighPower made units

Now i will admit that this series does not have great ripple on the 1200 watts and voltage regulation is alright but could have been better

Not a bad series at all

I will say that the 1200 watts is not something i would buy so stay away from that

Disappointing 1200 watts really

But the lower wattage models are actually much better and are good solid PSU´s

Next up is the semi modular Tough Power XT Gold series which are 1375 and 1475 watts 80 plus gold rated units made by CWT
Sory i could not really find any good photos of this series

Only bad thing to say really is the ripple on the 3.3v rail on the 1375 watts

1475 watts is another story ripple on all rails are worse then the 1375 watts version and its just overpriced

But overall a better series then the Tough Power Grand

Next is the semi modular Tough Power XT Platinum 1275 watts PSU 80 plus platinum also by CWT

How i feel about this is sory Thermaltake but both your Tough Power XT series are overpriced so good units just overpriced

Next one is the brand new Tough Power DPS Gold

This is a fully modular 80 plus gold rated series made by HighPower

Overall my take on this is mixed

On the minus side i think its another silly gimicky PSU becuse of the software which as always dont give you 100% accurate numbers

And whats up with the voltage regulation on the 5.5v rail really 1.8% when the 12v rail is at 0.2% and the 3.3v rail does 0.3%

And what is up with that ATX/EPS cable i have never seen anyone do the 8 pin and 24 pin ON ONE CABLE

Looks ridiculous and something you did in 2006 or earlier

I also think the fan grill is butt ugly

Its also overpriced

On the plus side its does 80 gold with no problem and then some

Average voltage regulation is 0.8% now the 12v is damm good even better then the Antec High Current Pro Platinum

Same with the 3.3v rail not as good as the HCP Platinum but pretty close

Ripple is also good with 10mv on the 3.3v rail 20mv for the 5.5v rail and 25mv for the 12v rail

Soldering is also very good not sloppy at all

All caps are either Panasonic or Nippon Chemi-Con

Overall i am impressed if we forget the software part and the price at 200$ which is just too high for an 850 watts PSU

Last is the Tough Power DSP Platinum no reviews at this time

Almost forgot Phaedrus did a thread on thermaltake 3 years ago feel free to look at that one

http://www.overclock.net/t/652549/on-thermaltake-psus

·
Old school gamer
1,914 Posts
Thermaltake's TR2 gets snubbed a lot because it is a budget PSU but I have used a lot of them over the last couple of years and had zero issues or failure. It might not be as sexy as some of the bigger names or more powerful or expensive PSUs but it has proven itself in use to be rock solid and very reasonably prived.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar63 View Post

Thermaltake's TR2 gets snubbed a lot because it is a budget PSU but I have used a lot of them over the last couple of years and had zero issues or failure. It might not be as sexy as some of the bigger names or more powerful or expensive PSUs but it has proven itself in use to be rock solid and very reasonably prived.
The old HEC made TR´2 are trash

in fact its very well known for being one of the worst PSU´s of all time

I dont get why Thermaltake keep the TR-2 name its confusing buyers as the old TR´2 are trash and the new TR-2´s are decent

If you have one of the old HEC made TR-2´s DESTROY it!

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillmander View Post

Its the rx...
Then its a HEC PSU and that should tell you everything right there

You really really should not keep that PSU its a timebomb and its a famous timebomb even

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Quote:

Well this sucks. When i first bought my pc parts i didnt really now that much and i went to a tiger direct and a guy said to go with this rather than the one i put on my wishlist (no sure what kind it was but i think it was a corsair.)
Well brand has nothing to do with quality even Corsair has crappy PSU´s

Its all about who made it using what parts and what care went into it

Some of the PSU´s out there are so crappy that i could do a better job

Take the Unltra X4 even a monkey could do a better job soldering the PCB then Andyson did

Also i found this review of your PSU

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/902

• Rep+
Reactions: TLM-610

·
Registered
377 Posts
ya i know its about who makes not the brand but in most cases corsairs aren't that bad. (Not saying they are all perfect) so should i just try to sell then and then maybe go with something like one of these
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=77496&vpn=120-PG-0650-GR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1360
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=90037&vpn=CP-9020040-NA%2FRF&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1313
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=90039&vpn=CP-9020031-NA%2FRF&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1313
Also how much do you think i could ge for my psu. Because i don't want to spend a lot of money.(Im a high school student with no job and just 5 cents in the bank and 400 in the wallet. I just haven't put my money away yet)

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Quote:

i am thinking about crossfire seeing as the price of 7950's are just so tempting. i Could pick up a used one for like $150 locally. Even if i dont soon its always nice to have enough watts for what might happen in the future.
XFX Core Edition is the cheapest i would call decent

If you want good bang for buck how about the Cooler Master V700?

Its a Seasonic KM3 unit so same PSU as the Seasonic platinum and X as well as the Corsair AX760/860

Ther V is just cheaper then all those

160$ and thats a fair price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171080

Or the Seasonic G 750 watts for 110$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151132

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Quote:

i didn't mean $150 for a psu(i was talking about a second 7950. i want to sell my psu and maybe spend $20-30 for a new one if possible. But really i have never had any issues with the tr2 so maybe its not as bad as the others?
What! you want to offload that crap on somebody else thats not really fair

In fact i find that being a bit of an ....... as the person that buys it dont know its crap its also worth 0$

If you have the money for a second video card then why dont you have the money for a decent PSU?

See it this way its cheaper to buy a decent PSU then it is to replace a whole PC that has been killed becasue of said crappy PSU

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Quote:

true i don't think i could be happy with my slef if i sold to someone unless they knew what they were getting into. I have the money (not much) but i would rather put it to performance than a new psu. You probably think i'm stupid for that lol.
Yes i do think its stupid why risk your whole PC because you could not wait for your second video card

But i dont force anyone to take my advice

If your PC goes up in smoke becasue you did not replaced the PSU you know why

·
Registered
377 Posts
ugh, well then what should i do with it if i get a new psu? Also the big reason i don't want to buy a new psu is because i want to buy a water cooling setup and i really only have $400 and i would love to have some left over for thing us teens buy. And also i just like having money around because you never know when you will need it.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.