Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I sent in my 750W for replacement to TT RMA. Bad 12v rail. See thread here

Today I get an email from TT saying my W0116RU (750 watts) is discontinued and they want to replace it with a W0319RU (850 watts). Now, this 850W is MSRP cheaper than my W0116RU when I bought it, I paid $189.99 for my 750W. the 850W is like $105 on newegg and $159.99 on Thermaltake website

Is it worth it or can should I just ask for a refund? Will they refund the price I paid for it?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
They won't refund. It's not about price, they are offering an upgrade, take it.

Edit: I paid $105 for my ram a year ago, should gskill send me 2 sets cause they are cheaper now? No

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas;15266151
They won't refund. It's not about price, they are offering an upgrade, take it.
I think it's a downgrade to a lower quality PSU with higher wattage.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensou;15266177
Your problem is they will never admit it. It's a 100w upgrade and an upgrade to bronze. Thought anything over 600w was made by seasonic for tt.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensou;15266177
What makes you think it's a lower power psu? All reviews are pretty even on both of those psus.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one post I saw about the W0319RU they said it's a very low quality PSU with its ripple being off the charts.

TT Customer Service Rep asked me if I accept the W0319RU as my replacement. What if I say no, what will happen then?
W0319RU is also silver and ugly, unlike my glossy black W0166RU.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The W0319RU has 1 12V Rail @ 69A compared the W0116RU which has 4 rails. What are the cons and pros to having a single rail?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Tell them it's unacceptable. They're replacing a quality CWT PSH unit with a mediocre FSP unit. They should at least replace it with a PSHII unit (which is the modern equivalent, and costs less than the original PSH units anyway).

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
tell them you want the 775 tough power xt, if not tell them to give you the 675 tough power xt

·
Registered
32 Posts
They have a 4 rail model with the same part number. Which has very bad reviews. The 1 rail model has good reviews from what i've seen. I just bought one this AM. I made sure it wasn't the 4 rail one, you should do the same.
Also yours pushes 60A over 4 rails and the upgrade is 69 over 1
Has 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin yours is only 2x 6-pin
the upgrade is 80+ bronze certified yours was just 80 +
plus alot of little things like version, certification ect. that show as an upgrade from your previous. So from what I'm seeing it's def. an upgrade. Just my 2 cents if you do go w/ the 850w. Someone can confirm or deny if any of this means anything to you. But I don't think they will budge if it's obvious everything on the one they are offering you is better than the one you sent in. Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian86;15278114
tell them you want the 775 tough power xt, if not tell them to give you the 675 tough power xt
^This, the Toughtpower XT x75 units are far better than pretty much everything Thermaltake has to offer up to 1000W including the Toughpower Grand units.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I emailed one of the reps I spoke to earlier. Very fast reply. Here is what he has to say. So I should choose the TPX-775M over the Black Widow 850W?
Quote:
I looked into the situation with the RMA department. The reason why you were offered that particular power supply is because our warranty policy is to replace the defective product with an equal to or greater "valued" product. There are two power supplies that we are able to offer you and I've listed them below:

W0319RU or TPX-775M

Both are great power supplies but you'll notice that they are configured slightly different from the original power supply you had. The most important voltage from a power supply is going to be from the +12v rail. Your original one had 4 of these rails where the replacements we are offering have two. In that specific regard, this does not make this power a downgrade. Multiple +12v rails are produced as a redundancy to reduce the possibility of that +12v to fail. There's a catch to that though. It does not provide as clean a power delivery as a single or double rail system. You'll notice that most high end power supplies ($190 and up) use a single rail configuration because of this.

Now there is a pro and con to the W0319RU as the replacement. First you will have 850w vs the original 750w you had. So this will obviously be a minor positive. The con would be that it's about 3A lower than your W0116RU. This is a very minor downgrade. The W0319RU has been tested to run 2x GTX 580 video cards with an overclocked i7 2600K. This power supply is very stout and can handle a lot.

So please let me know which one you want. I would suggest going with the W0319RU but of course that is your decision so I will leave it up to you. If you have any questions please let me know.
TPX-775M
TRX-850M

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zensou
View Post

TPX-775M a good upgrade over my W0116RU 750W or still a downgrade?

its an upgrade all round
quality wise the 850 model would be a down grade

1 - 17 of 17 Posts