Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modding the LED ring with transparent spray paint, would that work, has anyone done it, or would it just end up terribe?
Some of you will ask why not go for the RGB one, it is twice the price in my country and the 3 in one pack is not avaible.

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
It'll end up terrible, unless the LED color is white:

You need white light to filter. If you spray a green one, say red for example, it'll barely transmit anything: there is no "red" light in the "green light".
White is full spectrum visible light. Green is only the green spectrum, there is no "red" light in the green spectrum. Therefore, if you filter everything that's not red out of green, you'll end up with "nothing".

That said, those fans are garbage
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if you use white it will work okay.
And if you use gray/black it will make the original color darker, if I am not totally wrong?

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet1 View Post

So if you use white it will work okay.
And if you use gray/black it will make the original color darker, if I am not totally wrong?
That's not what I said, I said it will definitely not work with anything but white, it might work with white, as in: very unlikely, probably not worth the effort and risk. Heck, if you calculate in the paint cost, with the potential succes rate, the RGB even seems a steal
rolleyes.gif

Don't waste money on those garbage fans. Even if it's purely for aesthetics. It's ThermalCrap and it's bound to be bad build quality, bad performance and likely break very quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would you recommend as good static fans, that are easyish to mod and cheapish in Europe?

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
What would you use them for? Case fans? Radiator Fans? How much restriction (fine grill, hex, etc)?

In general, Cooler Master Jetflo is a good balance between performance and price.

If you want high-end stuff, go for NB eloops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is for radiators. more specifik x-flow rads with 16 fins per inch.
But I am planning to go with the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3. They seem pretty good.
As far as I have read the Thermaltake Riing and Corsair SP is the same ish design, thermaltake is how ever a little bit better performance wise. And most people say they are not optimal.

But thanks for the answer both of you. I might buy an Riing white in the future and do some experiments with it.
biggrin.gif

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

You should read an actual review of those fans before making a decision. Just because one opinion believes they are "bound to be" "thermalcrap" doesn't really give any true insight into them.

http://thermalbench.com/2015/05/22/thermaltake-riing-12-led-120mm-fan/
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet1 View Post

It is for radiators. more specifik x-flow rads with 16 fins per inch.
But I am planning to go with the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3. They seem pretty good.
As far as I have read the Thermaltake Riing and Corsair SP is the same ish design, thermaltake is how ever a little bit better performance wise. And most people say they are not optimal.

But thanks for the answer both of you. I might buy an Riing white in the future and do some experiments with it.
biggrin.gif
They aren't awful fans as many assume, but as shown in the Thermalbench review, aren't exactly optimal, either. You should be very happy with the eLoop, they are excellent fans.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
Quote:

You should read an actual review of those fans before making a decision. Just because one opinion believes they are "bound to be" "thermalcrap" doesn't really give any true insight into them.

They are not 'carp' but they are not a company I will use. They screwed me twice years back and don't get a 3rd chance. Combine that with blatent copying other's products, poor quality products, litle to no customer support, .. while other companies have better products, better support and design their own it's a no-brainer for many of us to ignore them.

Oh! Thermalbench did not rate them very well .. and as much as I like @geggeg, I think he was too kind in his review. He gave them an 80%, but comparing them to performance of similar fans in his graphs against the 80% he gave TY-147A and how they perform against similar fans in his graphs and either TY-147A deserves a much better rating or Thermalfake deserve a much lower rating. But that is my opinion, and it's his review.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Quote:

They are not 'carp' but they are not a company I will use. They screwed me twice years back and don't get a 3rd chance. Combine that with blatent copying other's products, poor quality products, litle to no customer support, .. while other companies have better products, better support and design their own it's a no-brainer for many of us to ignore them.

Oh! Thermalbench did not rate them very well .. and as much as I like @geggeg, I think he was too kind in his review. He gave them an 80%, but comparing them to performance of similar fans in his graphs against the 80% he gave TY-147A and how they perform against similar fans in his graphs and either TY-147A deserves a much better rating or Thermalfake deserve a much lower rating. But that is my opinion, and it's his review.
tongue.gif
Many of your points are valid, the main thing I was trying to get across was that xloros said they are bound to be crap, which insuates no actual knowledge of the fan, just making assumptions based on what is probably thier personal feelings towards Tt, which anyone has any right to.

Of course they're not the best fans, and they're certainly not the worst, but many users (whether we feel it's wrong or not) make decisions on looks over performance, and they have every right to do that as well. Not to mention the OP was looking to do a specific mod with them which was the primary reason for the original question.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,209 Posts
Quote:

Many of your points are valid, the main thing I was trying to get across was that xloros said they are bound to be crap, which insuates no actual knowledge of the fan, just making assumptions based on what is probably thier personal feelings towards Tt, which anyone has any right to.
Way too much of that on this board, well....all boards these days. Opinions about products, and even entire product segments, that the person making the statement has never used, or probably even been in the same room with. But, that is a discussion for another thread.

As far as choices made between performance and aesthetics, that is always a balance that the individual user needs to decide for themselves.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
Quote:

Of course they're not the best fans, and they're certainly not the worst, but many users (whether we feel it's wrong or not) make decisions on looks over performance, and they have every right to do that as well. Not to mention the OP was looking to do a specific mod with them which was the primary reason for the original question.
I agree.
thumb.gif

I have jumped on others for posting all-or-nothing statements many times. We do not live in a black and white world, most things are shades of gray.
tongue.gif

Those who make black and white statement are indeed usually at best based on minimal knowledge and esperience .. they think they know when the do not know much of anything.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Way too much of that on this board, well....all boards these days. Opinions about products, and even entire product segments, that the person making the statement has never used, or probably even been in the same room with. But, that is a discussion for another thread.

As far as choices made between performance and aesthetics, that is always a balance that the individual user needs to decide for themselves.
Exactly.
thumb.gif

That and things like they buy a cheap case, buy some mediocre replacement fans, then make blanket statements about how great their replacements are with no reference to what they replaced or how poor stock case fans were (stock case fans in cheap cases are usualy garbage) .. in my opinion.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

OP - I didnt mod the ring but I painted the housing. Why mod the LED when you can buy the RGB Riing fans that change color? If you find a color you like, you can set the color by hitting a button on the control module that comes with the fan. Here's a few pics of mine with a few different colors on the rings. Hope this helps!!

EDIT - BTW I love my riing fans. I use a total of (7) Thermaltake Riing fans in 2 different cases and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharcyide View Post

Quote:

I couldnt agree more.

OP - I didnt mod the ring but I painted the housing. Why mod the LED when you can buy the RGB Riing fans that change color? If you find a color you like, you can set the color by hitting a button on the control module that comes with the fan. Here's a few pics of mine with a few different colors on the rings. Hope this helps!!

EDIT - BTW I love my riing fans. I use a total of (7) Thermaltake Riing fans in 2 different cases and have not had any issues.
Bottom line is Tt just needs to make then in white, especially after seeing yours, there is no reason not to! I love your build. Is that acrylic top just for show or permanent, and is that HoF card really that heavy it needs support? Do you have any completed build pics or a build log?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:

Bottom line is Tt just needs to make then in white, especially after seeing yours, there is no reason not to! I love your build. Is that acrylic top just for show or permanent, and is that HoF card really that heavy it needs support? Do you have any completed build pics or a build log?
Thanks and I agree. I have a friend in the phillipines that just painted his housing and fans white. I didnt want to imbalance the fans by overspraying so I opted to leave mine black....but i'm diggin the look
smile.gif

Acrylic top is permanent. HOF (Hall of fame) card should be called HAF (Heavy as F...) per my buddy who has the 980 HOF lol. Yeah, they are pretty heavy and droop a bit, even with the aluminum backplate. That stand I'm using is actually an air cleaner bolt and screw system from a car that I plasti dipped white for a previous build. My build log is in my sig
smile.gif
adding liquid cooling parts in the coming weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts