Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other components of my system is in the sig. I was really curious about if Thermaltake Toughpower Qfan 650W PSU I have is enough for 2 4870's in CF ?

Since this PSU has 2x6pin PCI-E and only 1x8pin PCI-E cable sure I'll need a molex to 6-pin Pci-e adapter but is 650W enough ?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Important to look at amps per 12v rail. Looking at this one, its 18a per rail. Thats really cutting it close with the rest of your system. Id look at the Corsair TX750w or something like it, because of the 60a combined 12v rail, not to mention it has all the 6+2 pins you need! Youre pushing it going to that PSU with your system. You didnt mention if you intend on buying one, or you already have it.
You are going to need to be in the 50a's per 12v rail combined to run it and give you a little headroom.

Or you could always go like I did and get a dedicated GPU PSU. I have the FSP 450w Xbooster5. It fits in the drive bays and blows the air outside the case. It changes colors too lol. But I run 2 4850's in Xfire without strain, less heat and better efficiency.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104054

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TT Toughpower Qfan 650W I am using right now already have 18A per rail and 54A combined total on 12V... So since I'll want to be in 50A's for 12V rail does this mean my TT 650W is ok for 2 4870's in CF ? Guess all I need will be a molex to 6-pin pci-e adapter.

What I really don't get is those online PSU Wattage calculators tell me that I need 720W with my current set up even without the second 4870 lol....but everything is more than fine with 650W for now with my OC and single 4870 and I am pretty happy with my PSU.

Are those online PSU calculators trustworthy ? Many people say Thermaltake 650W will be enough with 2 4870's in my system but online PSU calculator says forget the second 4870 you even need more power now with only one 4870 lol...

Which one is true ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts