Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking use a TEC to control the temperature of a small space, which will require a thermostat. Do any of you guys know what off the shelf thermostats would be suitable for controlling a TEC? Ideally it would have the ability to heat and cool. I could build a thermostat circuit, but one that could heat and cool seems exceedingly difficult.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by u238 View Post
I'm looking use a TEC to control the temperature of a small space, which will require a thermostat. Do any of you guys know what off the shelf thermostats would be suitable for controlling a TEC? Ideally it would have the ability to heat and cool. I could build a thermostat circuit, but one that could heat and cool seems exceedingly difficult.
This is the one I use but as I am from the UK it is a 240v input device. By changing the way you wire the output, it can be used to control 12/24v volt TECs. (or any voltage TECs.) Try contacting them if you require a different supply voltage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TC-10-DIGITAL-...item4cedcc58ac

You have to be careful when using TECs due to the high currents involved depending how high it is you may have to switch the PSU instead but if you can you are better off switching the TECs.

I use both outputs but not as hot/cold per se.... I use them with extra relays to switch differing numbers of TECs depending on the temp to vary the level of cooling.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on using a high amperage rated relay to switch the TEC. I think I may be better off building my own small thermostat circuit for this application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts