Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Well, let's look at the specs:

Fan Speed: 2100 RPM
Noise Level: 33.6 dBA
Air Flow: 79.3 CFM

I don't have experience with this particular brand but I've had so many fans in the past, most without research.

If I may recommend something else:

Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-054-_-Product

Fan Speed: 3000 ±10% RPM
Noise Level: 45.90 dBA
Air Flow: 133.60 CFM

If you have a fan controller, you can turn it down some to lower the excessive noise. The air flow is the key number to look at.

·
Borking Builds Since 2020
861 Posts
Well, they do move quite a bit of air, but based on my experience (and it's somewhat limited), 120x25mm fans that move a lot of air don't really have that good of static pressure. What do you plan on using them for? They would make pretty good case fans, but probably wouldn't be that great of a fan for your Megahalems.

I tried a similar sized fan, Scythe SY-1225SL12SH SlipStream, ended up very disappointed by it's performance on my Megahalems, and ended up getting a Panaflo FBA12G12H1BX instead. In the end I was much happier with the Scythe as my rear exhaust fan and the Panaflo as my heatsink fan.

So give something like a Scythe Kaza, Panaflo, or SanAce a try. While your at it check out N-Sanity's Guide To Fans and/or Shadowclock's [Guide] Air Cooling Questions Answered Here!. Both are fairly comprehensive and will answer almost every question you can think of about fans and cooling.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was considering them for my Megahalems.

·
861 Posts
Ahh, then you may want to check out this amateur review on fans that I came across on OCN.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...-part-1-a.html

He does a rather good job. I hope that this will help you make a decision. FYI - I use the Panaflo with my Megahalems and yes I know that I said that once already, lol. I found that when bought mine, SVC.com had the best prices and have recently found that NewEgg.com now sells them under the name of Rexus now.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vbp6us
View Post

Well, let's look at the specs:

Fan Speed: 2100 RPM
Noise Level: 33.6 dBA
Air Flow: 79.3 CFM

I don't have experience with this particular brand but I've had so many fans in the past, most without research.

If I may recommend something else:

Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-054-_-Product

Fan Speed: 3000 ±10% RPM
Noise Level: 45.90 dBA
Air Flow: 133.60 CFM

If you have a fan controller, you can turn it down some to lower the excessive noise. The air flow is the key number to look at.

lol you got it all wrong. Ultra Kazes suck for hs fans, the static presure is horbile. Static pressure is the ability to push air though the fins, so higher is better, a 100cfm 3 mm h20 fan is better then a 150cfm 1 mm h20 fan on a hs. OP that fan you linked looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls
View Post

lol you got it all wrong. Ultra Kazes suck for hs fans, the static presure is horbile. Static pressure is the ability to push air though the fins, so higher is better, a 100cfm 3 mm h20 fan is better then a 150cfm 1 mm h20 fan on a hs. OP that fan you linked looks pretty good.

Eh, did you do a review to come up with that post?

Quote:

The Scythe Ultra Kaze Cooling Fans certainly do their job well and this is evident from the testing that we have conducted here today. My choice for water-cooling applications would certainly have to be the Ultra Kaze 3000 and 2000 RM models. The Ultra Kazes consistantly provided better static pressure than the Scythe S-FLEX fans that we compared them with. Furthermore; the radiator testing further reinforced our initial static pressure tests by showing considerably better cooling performance across the board.

I have the link for the source but it won't let me post it without putting ******** allover it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post
how are slipstreams... cause thats what i got on my ven x... just curious, cause they are cheap and provide good cfm, although they are loud

·
861 Posts
I tried a Slipstream with my Megahalems, when I switched over to the Panaflo I dropped 3-5C. They make great case fans, but horrible HSF's.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
OP: That looks like a generic ball bearing fan. You can get comparable fans for $5 at many places.
Show me a $5 ball bearing fan. (Because I'd love to buy a bunch for that price)

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you need all around cfm, pressure, and quietness, these are the fans to get if you can find them. Plenty of people on here swear by them.

Kazes aren't terrible HS and rad fans, but one thing to keep in mind is they don't undervolt well (mine at least), and produce a very audible clicking noise when going through my FC-2. My suggestion is to go with some gentle typhoons

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Ultra may be a TigerDirect brand, but the Ultra Kaze is a model of fan sold by Scythe, which is an independent brand.

Some UK's click loudly when undervolted, some click very quietly. They are not consistent.

In a recent thread on the subject of Scythe S-Flex undervolting, guys realized it was the FC-2 causing the clicking.Switching to another fan controller made the undervolt clicking go away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts