Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, before I see any rants here about how I should be using a mech.

Let me just say that I appreciate silence in my bedroom when I type.

I am currently using a HP wireless keyboard manufactured by Logitech. For some reason, the rubber dome switches require some force to actuate, but they bottom out too easily past the 'buckling' point.

As such, typing is a very noisy, clacky affair.

I am after these keyboards so as to experience a silent typing affair.

And no Mac bashing.
Any Mac bashing here will be reported.
Not a Mac fanboy, but I find this keyboard very easy on the ears, and very sturdy.

The Mac keyboard is compatible with Windows.
In fact, I am currently hammering out this post on my HP dv2713tx with Windows Vista.
The CTRL key works right, when I hit the Num Lock (clear key on Apple board) the NL light lights up on the laptop.
Same goes for Caps.

The Apple key also doubles as the Windows key.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Those mac ones aren't exactly quiet in my experience. You should look for a quieter scissor switch keyboard. I don't mind scissor switches too much, I think they're usually better than plain rubber domes. Sometimes the short key travel would annoy me a little, but sticky rubber domes offend me

You should be able to find something with quiet scissor switches.

Just my $.02.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by drjoey1500 View Post
Those mac ones aren't exactly quiet in my experience. You should look for a quieter scissor switch keyboard. I don't mind scissor switches too much, I think they're usually better than plain rubber domes. Sometimes the short key travel would annoy me a little, but sticky rubber domes offend me

You should be able to find something with quiet scissor switches.

Just my $.02.
I wouldn't mind scissor switch boards.
Do you have any good ones in mind?

I'd like to have one with a numpad, and one tenkeyless, if possible.

NKRO or that multi-key press at once is not really of importance here.

Asus has this chiclet-style board on sale, but it doesn't feel nearly as good as the Asus laptop chiclets/MacBook Pro chiclets.
And they're not scissors, as far as I know.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice find, but this Mac keyboard here, it isn't a Mech.

If it's silent like the IBM ones though, I really don't mind.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
your not looking for a mechanical keyboard? no. it's not silent it uses Alps switches and is manufactured by Costar. what exactly are you looking for?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking for neither a mech nor an Apple keyboard because I have a Mac.

The two keyboards I put above, I feel they're very silent.
Same goes for the Compaq/HP keyboards that connect via PS/2

Those keyboards tend to be very quiet.
I want a quiet typing experience in my bedroom, and these keyboards happen to fit the bill.

Also, mechs are expensive, and even though I know how nice they are to type on, my parents would NEVER allow me to have one.
I'm in a bit of a scrounge for money anyway, so I've got to pay out of my own pockets for this.

TL;DR, no mech because it's expensive, and Mac keyboard not a need because my PC is not a Mac.
Just happened that I find those two silent - if you know of any affordable, quiet keyboards like the abovementioned two do let me know.

EDIT: Just popped the keycap off the Apple keyboard in my first post - yes it's using a rubber dome.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
I wouldn't mind scissor switch boards.
Do you have any good ones in mind?

I'd like to have one with a numpad, and one tenkeyless, if possible.

NKRO or that multi-key press at once is not really of importance here.

Asus has this chiclet-style board on sale, but it doesn't feel nearly as good as the Asus laptop chiclets/MacBook Pro chiclets.
And they're not scissors, as far as I know.

...I haven't tried too many, so I can't really recommend one. The one on my thinkpad is decent, but the desktop version was a failure AFAIK and expensive (~$50). It has a numpad and is tenkeyless
(it is a laptop though).

Depending on how much noise you're talking about, I was surprised how quiet cherry browns were (although after using black alps for a while). If you don't bottom out the keys they're actually fairly quiet. If you think about it, rubber dome keyboards are kind of loud anyway just from the keycaps rattling (like dell keyboards). I can't honestly compare them since I haven't used cherry browns in a while, but I think the noise level is comparable to stock dell keyboards (much quieter than black alps) especially when not bottomed out.

Maybe someone who actually owns a cherry brown keyboard could give a better comparison.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ouch.

Well I really have a soft spot for scissors and chiclet keyboards, even if what's under that keycap is a tiny rubber dome.

Chiclets feel... Tactile to me.
With them I type more accurately.
No sweat though, my relative offered me his Apple Keyboard so now I'm a happy camper.
Just gonna hunt around for a used IBM desktop and ask if I can trade some other PS/2 keyboard for that IBM keyboard.

Right now I'm a fan of silence over anything else. :X

1 - 10 of 10 Posts