Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
MMO Enthusiast
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon announced today a new service that gives its couriers access to a person’s vehicle for the purpose of leaving package deliveries inside. But rather than use smart locks and a cloud-connected camera to gain entry, Amazon wants to use the connected technologies embedded in many modern vehicles today. The company is launching this new service in partnership with two major automakers — General Motors and Volvo — and will be rolling out in 37 cities in the US starting today.
To start out, the service will only be available to Amazon Prime subscribers. It’s also limited to owners of GM and Volvo vehicles, model year 2015 or newer, with active OnStar and Volvo on Call accounts. Amazon says it plans to add other automobile brands over time. Packages that weigh over 50 pounds, are larger than 26 x 21 x 16 inches in size, require a signature, are valued over $1,300, or come from a third-party seller also are not eligible for in-car delivery.
has this gone too far?, would you open your car up to some stranger?

source

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Well considering you can allow them to enter your home, I'd say this is pretty tame.
It's nothing they're forcing on you...in fact you'd need a Prime account to even be eligible and in this case you'd need a 2015 GM or Volvo AND a subscription to their in car support.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Back in the day, choice was pretty good.
Choice isn't bad but Amazon is getting a little too far out there. Just like the Amazon Flex program. I pretty sure that quality suffered as just anyone could sign up and Im willing to beat all them people didn't have good intentions. Guy I work with was able to get on and he said they had let go a lot of people was being let go. But he also said there was no guidance or material provided to identify yourself as a Amazon contractor employee. You show up at the warehouse,get your packages and use the app they provide. Thats it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Choice isn't bad but Amazon is getting a little too far out there. Just like the Amazon Flex program. I pretty sure that quality suffered as just anyone could sign up and Im willing to beat all them people didn't have good intentions. Guy I work with was able to get on and he said they had let go a lot of people was being let go. But he also said there was no guidance or material provided to identify yourself as a Amazon contractor employee. You show up at the warehouse,get your packages and use the app they provide. Thats it.
They don’t care because they don’t have to cover car insurance, maintenance, and gas for Flex drivers. Frauds happens everyday. Some customer doesn’t even open up the door for their own package because they think these drivers are scammers/strangers. Amazon smart locker is good for those who are lazy. Privacy isn’t a problem because they will fire you once you step your foots inside a customer’s house or receive things from customers. Thank Mr. Trump for the tax break.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
This could be okay if
  1. It only unlocks the trunk.
  2. The trunk does not grant access to the rest of the car.
  3. The customer makes sure the chosen parking addresses have surveillance.
  4. The customer doesn't leave valuable stuff in their trunk.
5. no one else besides the courier (amazon) gains access to this "backdoor".
6. amazon takes responsibility to damages dealt by the courier.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
This could be okay if
  1. It only unlocks the trunk.
  2. The trunk does not grant access to the rest of the car.
  3. The customer makes sure the chosen parking addresses have surveillance.
  4. The customer doesn't leave valuable stuff in their trunk.
Can't you enter the back seat from the trunk on some vehicles?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about Amazon or the drivers having access, If they do something wrong or hire the wrong person there is recourse though Amazon.

After Amazon gets the digital key to your vehicle their database will be compromised no doubt, I mean who wouldn't want all that juicy data? Massive data breaches are happening once a year it seams, completely crazy.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Can't you enter the back seat from the trunk on some vehicles?
My mustang has pull tabs from the seat side. Previous vehicles have had access from the trunk though.

SUVs don't really have trunks in terms of a sealed off compartment.

If it's through Onstar then they could track that the vehicle hasn't moved after the delivery. Still too much for me though. Say I'm at work and there are several hundred cards there. The driver going to go up and down each row to find me? What about in a garage with layers.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
It works off of a system already installed systems like Onstar that can remotely unlock your car. You have to give Amazon access to that (however that works).
yes and i'm implying that Amazon should make sure they never leak it and Amazon would take full responsibility if their employees damage the car.
it wouldn't be funny if Amazon suddenly suffers a data leak, or their employees damages the car, and then shrugs it off just by saying "sucks to be you".

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Next thing you know, they'll have flying drones that can deliver an ice cream cone with a click of a mouse or scratch your rear end. Hey, they are being nice aren't they with a one big smile on their face :D. By the way that last bit was sarcasm. You know that you have a disturbed company or an individual when they are being too nice.
Amazon obviously wants something and it's more than your money. It's a control of your life and the master switch so it can control the people.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Next thing you know, they'll have flying drones that can deliver an ice cream cone with a click of a mouse or scratch your rear end. Hey, they are being nice aren't they with a one big smile on their face :D. By the way that last bit was sarcasm. You know that you have a disturbed company or an individual when they are being too nice.
Amazon obviously wants something and it's more than your money. It's a control of your life and the master switch so it can control the people.
You nailed it! :thumb: :thumb:

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
has this gone too far?, would you open your car up to some stranger?

source
Sure, I would. I trust package delivery personnel far more than I do people walking by my front porch eyeing my packages sitting in plain view.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts