Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Recovery, Reset, Restore all to fight the Rot.

We all know about "Windows rot," where the operating system slowly degenerates to a slow, sluggish state after numerous installs, uninstalls, and other things that a system accumulates over time.

Source.

Inb4 bashing comments about format. This is life saver for those are non-techies.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Sweet. Might save me time one day.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
No, its the 4 Rs:

Recovery, Reset, Restore, and Windows

That reset option, implemented right, might be nice. Instead of doing a full reinstall you could just remove all of the crap and go right to vanilla Windows.

·
No u
4,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

No, its the 4 Rs:

Recovery, Reset, Restore, and Windows

That reset option, implemented right, might be nice. Instead of doing a full reinstall you could just remove all of the crap and go right to vanilla Windows.

I would also be interested of how M$ is going to approach this idea and how it will go back to vanilla Windows.

Restore is a given, I don't even use System Restore anymore

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

No, its the 4 Rs:

Recovery, Reset, Restore, and Remove

fixed

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
IIRC If you press F8 just before windows boots you have the option to "reinstall" windows. I noticed it the other day when someone was having trouble with a PC at work

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
actually, windows 7 hasn't slowed down at all for me, much better then xp, glad to see they are still working on it though.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I prefer the 1F method.

or the Don't install garbage method. works fine too.

The app store idea might make me cling to windows 7 for as long as I can though. Just don't like it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
So where vista and 7 just puts stuff into a .old folder this actually puts it into the appropriate spots, looks like it will save a bit of time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J
View Post

I bet pirates will like all the RRRs in the new windows when they torrent it.

Indeed I will.

Unless I use my MSDN account

OT:

I think this will only work if it is idiot proof, because I suspect that mostly only none technically minded people will use it, I know I will still just do a blank install ever 5-6 months.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
And people say Linux is catching up to Windows...

One way to fix this MS, ditch the registry.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Another classic example of Microsoft trying to mask flaws by putting the equivalent of a band-aid on a problem instead of being preventative and tackling the root causes of the flaw.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Lol, talking about Windows 8 already?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SupaSupra
View Post

Lol, talking about Windows 8 already?

Sadly, yes. Microsoft's implied product longevity is more like a brick wall than a lifespan.

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neurolysis
View Post

Another classic example of Microsoft trying to mask flaws by putting the equivalent of a band-aid on a problem instead of being preventative and tackling the root causes of the flaw.

And...what flaw would that be

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5entinel
View Post

And...what flaw would that be

The flaw is that their system is built in such a way that there is systematic performance degredation after 6mo or so just because of the way the OS works.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts