Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I need some help picking a thick cloth pad (4cm+) that is extra large (45cm+). I want it to be a rough surface with a slow glide. Non-stitched edges are preferred.
Here are some that I've found so far. If you've tried any of these can you tell me how they glide and how rough they are?
Puretrak Talent
Steelseries QCK heavy
Mad Catz CYBORG G.L.I.D.E 7
Glorious XL heavy
Zowie G-SR SE

·
Registered
723 Posts
The Talent is pretty slow but it's very smooth, feels like silk. The Qck has a fairly textured surface but it's really fast out of the box, gets slower with use. I have an older Glorious XL and the surface is pretty smooth, glide is not terribly fast and it wears out fast. I haven't used the thick GSR but I have used the original blue one, the SE, and the black one and they're all very slow. The only GSR that is remotely rough is the black GSR which is also the slowest one, all of the other ones feel smooth like the Talent.

The GSR is definitely the slowest on that list, followed by the Talent, the Glorious, and then the QCK.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely leaning towards the GSR even if it's not thick.. Any other options that are rough and slow like the GSR but thicker?

·
Mouse Maniac
66 Posts
I'm definitely leaning towards the GSR even if it's not thick.. Any other options that are rough and slow like the GSR but thicker?
Zowie sell a G-SR+ SE HLTV edition on their website that's 5mm thick. I haven't used it, but it should be the same surface as the G-SR SE blue that I had and that was decently slow with surprisingly low initial friction, but its also one of the smoothest pads I've ever used.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
If you want a slow a.. pad then take the G-SR. Get the special edition that is 5mm thick non braided. The braids on Zowies pad are garbage, takes forever to get flat.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I do think the Puretrak is one of the best slow pads out there. it is soft and super comfy too. not sure if you want rough for slower but the Puretrak does OK/good with static friction too, as long as you don't push your mouse hard into the pad.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just don't like the feeling of a smooth pad.. Is there really nothing that fits all my criteria? Anyone know anything about the madcatz?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I found a few others:
Fnatic Gear Olof
Fnatic Gear Focus 2
Fnatic Gear Neon
Razer Gigantus
Cougar Speed 2
Anyone know how the glide feels on these mousepads?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Fnatic Gear is eh, static friction is so-so, feels a bit smooth to me. Razer Gigantus I haven't tried with my own gear, didn't like it with stock razer mice, but seemed kinda smooth to me? not super slow.
Cougar Speed 2 is super smooth and very fast actually. I think it's coated though? not sure. hard to keep flat too.

QcK heavy might actually be your best bet but it's not super slow. no stitched edges.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The Gigantus is slower than the QcK Heavy but not by much, not sure how it performs over time as I used one very briefly. The surface has a slight texture to it, felt fairly similar to the black G-SR.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Gigantus is way faster than G-SR. Especially in initial friction.

Other than that it is a thick nice pad that gets flat easy.
My current pad.

I do prefer the QCK heavy slightly, but I cannot stand 5mm thick without any braid, it is just to sharp on my wrist/arm.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm.. I think I might just go for the Puretrak..
It's the thickest, has no stitched edges, has a nice pattern (I'm tired of the plain black), is on the slower side, doesn't cost too much and I've heard great things about it (I've wanted to try one for awhile now). Personally, I would prefer a more textured pad even if it had a faster glide; the QCK heavy might have that but it's not as thick as the Puretrak and I've already owned a QCK+, I want to try something new.
Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Raindrop XL forever and ever.

·
Registered
69 Posts
didn't the talent have qc issues iirc? they might have fixed them i don't really see that pad recommended as much anymore. has anybody compared it to a gigantus before?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just ordered a PureTrak Talent with basic shipping. Anyone know how long it takes to deliver in the US?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just ordered a PureTrak Talent with basic shipping. Anyone know how long it takes to deliver in the US?
They should give you a tracking number, if not you can reach out to them on Twitter or through email. They respond very quickly! Let us know how you like your Talent!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
The roccat control pads are really rough. May not be big enough though. Way rougher than anything you listed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Talent is pretty slow but it's very smooth, feels like silk. The Qck has a fairly textured surface but it's really fast out of the box, gets slower with use. I have an older Glorious XL and the surface is pretty smooth, glide is not terribly fast and it wears out fast. I haven't used the thick GSR but I have used the original blue one, the SE, and the black one and they're all very slow. The only GSR that is remotely rough is the black GSR which is also the slowest one, all of the other ones feel smooth like the Talent.

The GSR is definitely the slowest on that list, followed by the Talent, the Glorious, and then the QCK.
have you used the mousepad from HyperX?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the talent, gsr blue and the glorious xl had the gsr black,l and the heavy. Out of the 4 the gsr blue is the best, followed by the talent. Glorious is super fast and the gsr black was also quite fast to me as well. The heavy has a good friction although with the use it gets slower and slower (mouse feels sticked to the mousepad)

Edit: the puretrak talent that has the best friction is the blue, the black one was quite fast too for me

1 - 20 of 23 Posts