Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am pursuing a new job opportunity that will probably require travel a few days out of the week for a couple weeks, before any downtime. I need to get a new laptop as my Wife currently uses my macbook pro and refuses to use my desktop (And seriously I don't want her too lol) So that leads to my post.

I want:
Thin
Light
Capable (I understand i'm not maxing anything)

I would love stories with CS and RMA if needed as well.

My thoughts are getting a Razer Blade Pro or a MSI GS Stealth once they finally hit. Are there any other options in the 6lbs range, I don't need it to be 17" it can be 15" but I would like comparable thinness to the razer or stealth.

Appreciate the help
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
I just go the gigabyte P34G. I've owned a razer. I'm a bit torn between the two. The razer was awesome i mean the metal shell made it feel like it had much better build quality. However i'm not sure i can command the 2000 price tag on it for just having a aluminum shell. The P34G's screen blows the razer out of the water though. So theres compromises on both laptops. I like the P34G's screen more than my U2711 though. Its just that nice. My gripe with the plasticy shell on the P34G is if you try to close it by the corner the screen flexes a bit and gets darker or lighter etc. Thats really my only gripe with it.

Oh the P34G can also be upgraded to 16GB of ram too if thats a big deal. The razer has 8GB on board and no sockets.

The P34G is cheaper at 1399 (I got mine used for 900), and is very comparable. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233025

If you want the most powerful laptop the Aorus would be the one you would want to choose. Note that it is made by gigabyte as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233033
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Second the P34G.
For portability, performance and a good display.

Avoid the Razer Blade 14" crappy TN display*.

*keyboard, trackpad and display are what users directly interact with when using a computer, NOT CPU, GPU, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I need to figure out how big a 17" laptop really is so the tape measure comes out today.

I really like the GS Stealth but I'm hesitant to buy the discontinued model. Gigabyte also has the p35k what do you all think about that?

MSI also showed a 15" gaming notebook that is just like the GS stealth but I have no idea when its to be released.

The aorus specwise looks awesome but its really ugly and I would prefer to not spend 2k. 1600 is where I want to be.

I'm feeling this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233022
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post

Thanks for the info guys.

I need to figure out how big a 17" laptop really is so the tape measure comes out today.

I really like the GS Stealth but I'm hesitant to buy the discontinued model. Gigabyte also has the p35k what do you all think about that?

MSI also showed a 15" gaming notebook that is just like the GS stealth but I have no idea when its to be released.

The aorus specwise looks awesome but its really ugly and I would prefer to not spend 2k. 1600 is where I want to be.

I'm feeling this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233022
I think you might want to wait a few weeks. It looks like we are in the middle of a transition from the gtx 700 series to the gtx 800 series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

I think you might want to wait a few weeks. It looks like we are in the middle of a transition from the gtx 700 series to the gtx 800 series.
Yeah I really want the new GS Stealth which if using an 800 series M chip would make sense about dropping shortly after they officially move to that series chips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just saw the GS60 Ghost which looks absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't get the "3k" screen on it but even if its at the 2k mark I would still go for it for the size and weight and the rumored 860m which apparently competes beats and cmopetes with the 770m.
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post

So I just saw the GS60 Ghost which looks absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't get the "3k" screen on it but even if its at the 2k mark I would still go for it for the size and weight and the rumored 860m which apparently competes beats and cmopetes with the 770m.
I think the 860M is the GTX 750Ti on a laptop. Read maxwell in a mobile computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

I think the 860M is the GTX 750Ti on a laptop. Read maxwell in a mobile computer.
Yeah it looks really nice, and from what I have been reading it is about 45% faster than the 760m which should be more than adequate for the foreseeable future at medium/high
 

·
Network Enthusiast
Joined
·
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post

Yeah it looks really nice, and from what I have been reading it is about 45% faster than the 760m
If true i feel dumb for buying the laptop i have

GTX 760M for 900 in a p34g about 2 weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay the new razer blade will probably be my go to. Its just so sexy and powerfull. Most importantly its small.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top