Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front panel mic works, and the headphone jack was working, but doesn't any more.

Games occasionally dont have sound (have to relaunch to get audio)

Afterburner, although set to overclock on startup, does not. I now need to launch the game, alt tab out, and apply my overclock profile

Computer will occasionally get stuck powering down, and needs to be hard reset.

Mic stops working if I alt tab out of a game and then go back to it full screen.

So basically if I want to play a game, I have to: Launch game;alt tab out, apply overclock profile; run vent as admin, go to game fullscreen

and if I want to alt tab out to browse the internet between games, then I have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN!

from the small upgrade this was from my onboard sound, I don't think it was worth it. Just a PITA.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i have had 0 problems as well with multiple hd's hwoever sometimes a bad install of drivers will be the problem or incorrect settings in the console software. try using

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

driversweeper to completely remove your audio drivers and reinstall most recent drivers from creative site not the disk.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestack View Post

i have had 0 problems as well with multiple hd's hwoever sometimes a bad install of drivers will be the problem or incorrect settings in the console software. try using
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
driversweeper to completely remove your audio drivers and reinstall most recent drivers from creative site not the disk.
+1 driversweeper is an awesome utility. I use it all the time to clean AMD/ATI drivers and Creative drivers off my computer.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I haven't had any issues as well. I didn't even disable onboard, uninstall old drivers (though, I had none) nor have to jump through any loops. It may change with my coming HD7970, though.

·
Not new to overclock.net
1,588 Posts
This reminds me of when I bought a titanium for my first build a couple years back. I have since learned to just use onboard audio and unless you have specific circumstances requiring it, there is no noticeable difference I believe. I was racking my brain for weeks trying to figure out why my state of the art system (5870 and 965 b.e.
thumb.gif
) wouldnt shut down properly. It would just hang there for two or three minutes, and say "shutting down" or the screen would go blank and the fans would spin til I pulled the plug. By some fluke, I figured out it was the "ctxfihelp" service that was doing it, so I just disabled all unnecessary creative services besides the ones I needed to function and it worked like a charm. No update even a year into owning that hardware fixed the issue. So all I basically had was a 1/4" out on a nice fancy soundcard. I was using the optical out into my home theater, but disabling those drivers wouldn't let me use it. Not a big deal though. What I shouldve done was just returned it and used onboard audio and saved the money. Play around with disabling the unneeded creative drivers and leave only the bare minimum on and see if that helps your cause. Let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88 View Post

I was using the optical out into my home theater, but disabling those drivers wouldn't let me use it. Not a big deal though. What I shouldve done was just returned it and used onboard audio and saved the money.
The reason you didn't hear a difference is because optical out completely bypasses the Titanium HD's DAC chip.

·
Not new to overclock.net
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AKIMbO_ View Post

The reason you didn't hear a difference is because optical out completely bypasses the Titanium HD's DAC chip.
Dolby DTS or 5.1 bypasses the DAC chip?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into driversweeper but I uninstalled correctly.

Just seems like a PITA for a small upgrade in sound quality. Everyone says you can't even compare onboard to a sound card...it's not very noticeable for me. Waste of a good christmas present, if you ask me
frown.gif
And there is so much software that comes with it. I downloaded from the creative website, but the interface is trying to be all high tech and there's like five different services running. It's cheesy and annoying and I feel like I've added a ***** ton of bloatware
frown.gif

·
Not new to overclock.net
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tCoLL View Post

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into driversweeper but I uninstalled correctly.
Just seems like a PITA for a small upgrade in sound quality. Everyone says you can't even compare onboard to a sound card...it's not very noticeable for me. Waste of a good christmas present, if you ask me
frown.gif
And there is so much software that comes with it. I downloaded from the creative website, but the interface is trying to be all high tech and there's like five different services running. It's cheesy and annoying and I feel like I've added a ***** ton of bloatware
frown.gif
Yes I do remember the bloatware. Go try cutting services one by one and tell us if it works

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AKIMbO_ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88 View Post

Dolby DTS or 5.1 bypasses the DAC chip?
Nope...I was wrong.
You wern't wrong. Sending the audio stream out through SPDIF (toslink optical) does bypass the DAC in the HD. DAC is "Digital to Analog Converter". When you're passing the digital signal to an external DAC, there is no reason for the HD to use its converter. If it did, it would need to convert from digital>Analog, then Analog to digital again to pass a digital signal. It doesn't work that way. The DAC in use, is the one in the home theater reciever.

·
AKA StubbornGreek
3,813 Posts
Hope you work this out. First, as others have said, uninstall the drivers and clean with driver sweeper (preferably in safe mode). Next, use a registry cleaner (ccleaner works great for me). Then, install the PAX drivers (much better than creative drivers).

I also had some issues when I first installed my Ti-HD but once I worked them out, I couldn't be happier,

@ guitarmageddon88 - If you're using optical to your receiver, then you are getting a stream of 0's and 1's (since digital is data and not sound) which your receiver is converting. You will not notice a difference in sound over onboard this way as your receiver is doing the DSP.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandypx View Post

You wern't wrong. Sending the audio stream out through SPDIF (toslink optical) does bypass the DAC in the HD. DAC is "Digital to Analog Converter". When you're passing the digital signal to an external DAC, there is no reason for the HD to use its converter. If it did, it would need to convert from digital>Analog, then Analog to digital again to pass a digital signal. It doesn't work that way. The DAC in use, is the one in the home theater reciever.
Correct. The signal can still be digitally processed at the sound card level by means of software equalization and DSP, but the actual digital-to-analog conversion process will still take place on the outboard device.

If you intend to use optical/SPDIF/digital-out and you have it on-board on your motherboard, I don't see much of a reason to get a sound card.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts