Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had this XFX 6950 1gb card installed, connected to my monitor via HDMI cable and had random black screens no matter if I was at Idle or gaming, checked the latest MoBo bios upgrades and for the video card aswell and still had the same results.
Now I switched to DVI and now I get blank screens and columns of white/red/blue colors screens?

weird thing that now also flickers on some pages

So is the card deffective? Time to RMA ?
frown.gif

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well ... filled out the RMA with newegg and will be shipped out tomorrow hopefully. sucks they dont give a payed UPS label, and shipping to them is more expensive than when you buy something, f.e. shipping for a new card from newegg is $7 and right now it has a free 2 day shipping, and shipping from sout TX to newegg is around $15

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've had an older card (4870x2) that used to give what I thought was 'random black screens' that I found out later to be the cable coming slightly loose every once in a while. I was using two DVI connectors for two monitors and it took me quite a while before I realized that they were too fat to sit next to each other. I had to file off part of the connector to get them to fit next to each other.

Just some food for thought if you hadn't already checked your cables, swapped for known good ones, and tried different ports on the card. (sounds like you have swapped DVI cables at the least)

Also, I wouldn't recommend sending it back to NewEgg. They typically won't fit the bill for shipping, and you may or may not be charged a restocking fee (I was on a card I sent back, had to fight with them to get it credited back, not worth the hassle). I recommend contacting XFX directly.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by aesthetics1
View Post

I've had an older card (4870x2) that used to give what I thought was 'random black screens' that I found out later to be the cable coming slightly loose every once in a while. I was using two DVI connectors for two monitors and it took me quite a while before I realized that they were too fat to sit next to each other. I had to file off part of the connector to get them to fit next to each other.

Just some food for thought if you hadn't already checked your cables, swapped for known good ones, and tried different ports on the card. (sounds like you have swapped DVI cables at the least)

Also, I wouldn't recommend sending it back to NewEgg. They typically won't fit the bill for shipping, and you may or may not be charged a restocking fee (I was on a card I sent back, had to fight with them to get it credited back, not worth the hassle). I recommend contacting XFX directly.

thanks, but yeah I checked with HDMI and DVI and the same result, checked all the power cables and cables going to the screen aswell and everything the same.

I sent an email to XFX support to let them know whats going on, Ill see if I can get a refund and order a GTX 560 ? dont know, I was planning in Xfire my 6950 but now I need to wait for the new one and if it works I need to be lucky enough so my 2nd card is in good shape aswell ....

when I ordered my card @newegg the feedback was good, now the latest feedback is just terrible and dont have a good feeling about this.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a side note, theres a review that pretty much says exactly the same behavior my card is showing.

RobC wrote @ 3/30/2011 2:20:04 AM

" Random crashes/lockups out of the box. System will freeze with a solid color screen, usually gray but blue, pink, yellow, whatever it decides upon or a screen with vertical stripes of light gray/dark gray or some other color combo. Tested in two completely different systems with same results. It may crash while on the Windows login screen or may work for 4 or 5 hours making trouble shooting a nightmare. It also never, ever failed during Furmark stress testing or anything designed to actually test the card. If you get the GSOD (ATI has a history of this Gray Screen Of Death with 5xxx cards) don't waste your time, RMA the card. "

could it be only bad batch ? I've used XFX before and some friends aswell and never had problems, thats why I was confident enough to buy another XFX product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought this card as well and I'm having the exact same issue. It's really frustrating. The system freeze only happens during 2D. I can play SC2 for a few hours or run furmark for a straight hour without anything happening. I bought mine from Amazon and I RMAed it. A replacement is on the way, we'll see how it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexGT;13002768
On a side note, theres a review that pretty much says exactly the same behavior my card is showing.

RobC wrote @ 3/30/2011 2:20:04 AM

" Random crashes/lockups out of the box. System will freeze with a solid color screen, usually gray but blue, pink, yellow, whatever it decides upon or a screen with vertical stripes of light gray/dark gray or some other color combo. Tested in two completely different systems with same results. It may crash while on the Windows login screen or may work for 4 or 5 hours making trouble shooting a nightmare. It also never, ever failed during Furmark stress testing or anything designed to actually test the card. If you get the GSOD (ATI has a history of this Gray Screen Of Death with 5xxx cards) don't waste your time, RMA the card. "

could it be only bad batch ? I've used XFX before and some friends aswell and never had problems, thats why I was confident enough to buy another XFX product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts