Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I accidentally pressed the power button while a game was running on the startup menu screen and then my pc just instantly shut down and won't boot back on at all. It's like the power supply was just killed which doesn't make sense to me but I've tried switching the psu on and off unplugging and plugging. It's just done. Is it time to just order a new psu?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,208 Posts
:confused:

well if it's dead it certainty seems like the next step

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

well if it's dead it certainty seems like next the next step
I was posting this to see if anyone else had the exact same issue I stated. With hitting the power button while in game to suddenly seemingly dead. Guess that doesn't matter if I need a new one either way

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How old was the PSU? What is the model no? I would guess that it was coincidence it died while you think you may have touched the power button when it happened. Order a replacement after @shilka chimes in on which model you need

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Your computer turned off when you flipped the PSU off switch? That seems pretty normal :).

If it doesnt come back on, try leaving it off for a bit. Are you sure you didnt hit any power strip switches or a breaker didnt go out?

·
Facepalm
8,210 Posts
I was posting this to see if anyone else had the exact same issue I stated. With hitting the power button while in game to suddenly seemingly dead. Guess that doesn't matter if I need a new one either way
Your post was ambiguous and unclear.
Did you press the case power button?
Did you press the PSU button on the back of the PSU?
Or did you click the windows "Shutdown" (power icon thing) button with your mouse?

You can see from the replies that you are confusing a lot of people by not being concise here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your post was ambiguous and unclear.
Did you press the case power button?
Did you press the PSU button on the back of the PSU?
Or did you click the windows "Shutdown" (power icon thing) button with your mouse?

You can see from the replies that you are confusing a lot of people by not being concise here.
Well I apologize for that then, I was distraught by the whole thing just happening didn't mean to be unclear.

I accidentally pressed the power button on my case while in a game that I was about to play for the first time. A few seconds later my computer instantly turned off completely without any warning. Now my pc seems to have no power at all.

I just don't see how that killed the power supply is all.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I had an old baby-AT PSU that died on a cold boot, but I also had an ATX PSU die while I was using the computer -- the fan in the PSU had failed and it was a compact style PSU.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your computer turned off when you flipped the PSU off switch? That seems pretty normal /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.

If it doesnt come back on, try leaving it off for a bit. Are you sure you didnt hit any power strip switches or a breaker didnt go out?
A little over 2 years old (which is not as long as I thought) and the model number im getting from the site I bought it is PS-SPD-0600NPCWUS-W

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How old was the PSU? What is the model no? I would guess that it was coincidence it died while you think you may have touched the power button when it happened. Order a replacement after @shilka chimes in on which model you need
Sorry that last message was meant to quote this message.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,208 Posts
Thermaltake Smart 1000W is on JonnyGuru's lemon list (dunno if there's a problem with the 1000W specifically or the entire range) and ~10% of the reviews about your exact unit on Amazon have a 1 or 2 star, it probably just chose a coincidental time to nope out.

·
Facepalm
8,210 Posts
Well I apologize for that then, I was distraught by the whole thing just happening didn't mean to be unclear.

I accidentally pressed the power button on my case while in a game that I was about to play for the first time. A few seconds later my computer instantly turned off completely without any warning. Now my pc seems to have no power at all.

I just don't see how that killed the power supply is all.
As ThePook said, it probably just had enough and the power off was what did it in.
Powering off while the system is in windows doesn't harm anything except maybe your disk drives. I had to power off with the case button myself yesterday when I was trying to fix the CS:Go trusted mode issue (Asus sonic studio III, btw), and then when I fixed it, it launched and my monitor went into "no signal" mode (probably because I didn't reboot first). Had to power off while in windows. Then it worked the next time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As ThePook said, it probably just had enough and the power off was what did it in.
Powering off while the system is in windows doesn't harm anything except maybe your disk drives. I had to power off with the case button myself yesterday when I was trying to fix the CS:Go trusted mode issue (Asus sonic studio III, btw), and then when I fixed it, it launched and my monitor went into "no signal" mode (probably because I didn't reboot first). Had to power off while in windows. Then it worked the next time.
This makes sense, the PSU was probably already close to the end of it's life now that i see some of the reviews for it. I'll get a replacement unit and like you said probably properly reboot it when I get it back up and running . Appreciate the help all

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
I think I accidentally pressed the power button while a game was running on the startup menu screen and then my pc just instantly shut down and won't boot back on at all. It's like the power supply was just killed which doesn't make sense to me but I've tried switching the psu on and off unplugging and plugging. It's just done. Is it time to just order a new psu?
weird....

did you try plugging it in somewhere else?

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
What are your PC specs? 600 watts might be pushing it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are your PC specs? 600 watts might be pushing it.

Intel Core i5-4690K
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual-Fan OC Edition
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
WD Black 2TB HDD - 7200 RPM
Monitor - AOC G2590FX 25

specs aren't anything too powerful i think. Nothing is overclocked on this PC. I did overclock my cpu on my first build.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just replaced the power supply with a brand new one and the PC is still not powering on after it shutdown. It's like the power supply wasn't even the issue. :confused:

I double checked to make sure everything was plugged in i'm certain it is but I can go ahead and look at everything again.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,208 Posts
is it completely dead (no lights or fans) or do they start for a bit and then instantly go back off or what?

take the power switch out of the equation and just try shorting the pins with something metal, any difference? past that there's not a whole lot for you to troubleshoot without access to spare parts.

you could try pulling everything out the case and try to boot the machine on the motherboard box to rule out something dumb like a stand off not being properly insulated but if the machine was working for years before the issue it's almost certainty not the problem.

·
Facepalm
8,210 Posts
Just replaced the power supply with a brand new one and the PC is still not powering on after it shutdown. It's like the power supply wasn't even the issue. :confused:

I double checked to make sure everything was plugged in i'm certain it is but I can go ahead and look at everything again.
Do the following please, exactly as listed. Do not skip any steps.

1) With AC/power connectors removed/PSU rocker switch shut off, Short the clear CMOS jumper for 30 seconds straight, with a screwdriver. If a Clear CMOS button exists, press it for 30 seconds.
2) remove one stick of RAM then reinsert power cables.
3) try to power on. If success, then plug in the second set of RAM and off you go.

If this fails, then nuclear time:

1) unplug all power cables and REMOVE the CPU from the socket.
2) Short clear CMOS jumper for 30 seconds with screwdriver.
3) Plug in power cables WITHOUT Plugging in the CPU. Turn on the power button. Yes, without a CPU installed.
4) Unplug all power cables again, now plug in the CPU, apply thermal paste, apply heatsink
5) Power on.

Does this work?

·
PC Gamer, Drinker, Smoker
56 Posts
if the PSU does prove to also be dead now, even if it didn't cause the actual issue:

if that is the 600w Tharmaltake SMART it should have a 5 year warranty.
before just buying a new one, check with Thermaltake support if there is any upgrade option available. you may be able to return the first one and have the option to get a better, more reliable model PSU in it's place for a bit more money.
even if you can't upgrade, just get the replacement and sell it using that money towards a better PSU.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts