Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. With the recent announcement of the Ico/SotC remakes, I think I may finally buy a PS3. But which one? I could spend $300 and get the new 120/160GB slim PS3, or I could hit up eBay and grab an old 40GB one for $200 and throw in my spare 320GB laptop drive.

Which would be a better solution? (not sure if the 40GB has dualshock/backwards compat.).Also, how hard is it to swap the drives?

·
Registered
533 Posts
swapping drives is as simple as doing it on a pc but the hdd has to be a 2.5" drive. if i were you, i'd get the fat one just cause i'd be able to play my old ps1 and ps2 games on it. but if that doesnt matter to you, get the slim.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i bought a new slim one nearly a year ago.. but i kinda like the look of the original model. soo shiny

·
Registered
551 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by infomancer View Post
swapping drives is as simple as doing it on a pc but the hdd has to be a 2.5" drive. if i were you, i'd get the fat one just cause i'd be able to play my old ps1 and ps2 games on it. but if that doesnt matter to you, get the slim.
Careful, only the very first gen PS3's can play old games on them. Most can't.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevinchy View Post
Careful, only the very first gen PS3's can play old games on them. Most can't.
i do have the first gen. i didnt think there'd be a difference between the fat ps3s >.>

·
Registered
974 Posts
Though have to take in to account the first gen were using 65nm so uses mroe power and gets pretty warm n loud, compared to the 45nm slim, I have the 40gb phat version, which I think was 55nm?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for $200 I'd be getting a better deal (also considering my spare 320GB notebook drive), but it would run hotter and louder than the slim?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMallory View Post
So for $200 I'd be getting a better deal (also considering my spare 320GB notebook drive), but it would run hotter and louder than the slim?
Exactly, though if your room where it is is big, I wouldn't worry about the heat and noise

·
Super Moderator
14,109 Posts
well if you are like me and you will have the ps3 on 18 hrs a day for 7 days a week get the slim you will save loads of money on the electricity bill

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It depends what you want.

Personally, I'd go with the slim. You have a bigger HDD you can use so that doesn't matter. But the slim produces less heat, uses less electricity, and is overall way more quiet.

·
Super Moderator
14,109 Posts
sony has also made it easier to change the HDD in the slim and as far is a i know changing the HDD in the fat will void the warrenty and the slim wont if you change the HDD

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrews2547
View Post

sony has also made it easier to change the HDD in the slim and as far is a i know changing the HDD in the fat will void the warrenty and the slim wont if you change the HDD

False. Sony has made it clear in several statements that changing the HDD in both the fat and slim will not void the warranty. That's why they made the HDD for the PS3 standard 2.5" drives.

·
Super Moderator
14,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sikkamore View Post
False. Sony has made it clear in several statements that changing the HDD in both the fat and slim will not void the warranty. That's why they made the HDD for the PS3 standard 2.5" drives.
i xbox and ps3 mixed up then opps but i did hear that it voids the warrenty if you change it in xbox i dont know if what i hear was right and i dont really care because i dont have a xbox

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrews2547
View Post

i xbox and ps3 mixed up then opps but i did hear that it voids the warrenty if you change it in xbox i dont know if what i hear was right and i dont really care because i dont have a xbox

Well, I don't really care about the Xbox either as I don't own one. And I know for a fact, 100% sure, without a doubt, send me to hell if I'm wrong, that changing the HDD in a PS3 DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY.

·
Super Moderator
14,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sikkamore View Post
Well, I don't really care about the Xbox either as I don't own one. And I know for a fact, 100% sure, without a doubt, send me to hell if I'm wrong, that changing the HDD in a PS3 DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY.
i know lol im going to put a 1tb HDD when i run out of space i got 70gb left of 120gb

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the 1st gen 120gb was best due to having all the memory card readers and being backwards compatible, some of the first gen's didn't have the sd/memory card slots and there was something else unique about the 120 but its slipped my mind atm, last time i looked at first gen 120's on fleabay they where like 800 bucks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts