Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to get an AMD 64 system just for overclocking. At this moment in time i am only looking for a Mobo/Proc as i have all the other bits.

My questions are as follows:

1. 3200 Newcastle 130nm (S754) OR 3000+ Winchester 90nm (S939)?
2. If i go for the Newcastle chip, shall i go for the DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb OR Abit KV8 OR Other?
3. If i go for the Winchester Chip shall i go for the Abit AV8 3RD Eye or the Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe OR Other?

If all of my chosen options are crap, please let me know a better combo.

Cheers!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Hi All,

I want to get an AMD 64 system just for overclocking. At this moment in time i am only looking for a Mobo/Proc as i have all the other bits.

My questions are as follows:

1. 3200 Newcastle 130nm (S754) OR 3000+ Winchester 90nm (S939)?
2. If i go for the Newcastle chip, shall i go for the DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb OR Abit KV8 OR Other?
3. If i go for the Winchester Chip shall i go for the Abit AV8 3RD Eye or the Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe OR Other?

If all of my chosen options are crap, please let me know a better combo.

Cheers!

I recommend going with the Winchester939 becasue it is a more current product, as for the mobo the ABIT 3rd Eye is a great mobo and the company is very reliable.

So 939 and ABIT is my input.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the input. Anyone else wanna chip in?
Also, what kind of overclock could i expect to get from that rig (i know there is no definate way of telling - but just a generalisation)

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Cool, thanks for the input. Anyone else wanna chip in?
Also, what kind of overclock could i expect to get from that rig (i know there is no definate way of telling - but just a generalisation)

I would go for a DFI Lanparty UT S754, and a Clawhammer chip with the 1M L2.

Overclock ??? Depends on the memory you're going to be using.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I would go for a DFI Lanparty UT S754, and a Clawhammer chip with the 1M L2.

Overclock ??? Depends on the memory you're going to be using.

Clawhammer? Is that the FX series? - Sorry for my lack of knowledge in the field of AMD, but their various names/speeds/sockets has put me off in the past!!!

Oh, and my ram is PC3700 (capable of running at 250mhz)

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Clawhammer? Is that the FX series? - Sorry for my lack of knowledge in the field of AMD, but their various names/speeds/sockets has put me off in the past!!!

No, they're S754 chips made for laptops.. They're clock speed is lower than the desktop counterpart.

Socket 754
A64 Clawhammer 3200 - 2.0ghz, 1M L2 cache
A64 Newcastle 3200 - 2.2ghz, 512k L2 cache.

They have 1M L2 cache and the CPU doesnt have a heat spreader which allows for better cooling.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

No, they're S754 chips made for laptops..

They have 1M L2 cache and the CPU doesnt have a heat spreader which allows for better cooling.

ahh interesting, and are they faster than the winchester/newcastles?

Also, i can only see a 3700+ model that costs a bomb..is this the lowest spec one they have produced?

Andy finally, doesn't the S754 mobo's only support single channel memory?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

ahh interesting, and are they faster than the winchester/newcastles?

Also, i can only see a 3700+ model that costs a bomb..is this the lowest spec one they have produced?

They have a 3000+, 3200+, 3400+, and a 3700+.

I've seen some beanchmarks and they run a bit cooler than the newcastle core and many people are overclocking to newcastle speeds with stock HSF, and the 1M should make everything move quite a bit faster.

I have now idea how it compares in speed to the winchester core, I dont know if they improved anything performance wise in this new cores... I havent done any reading on it..

S754 only supports single channel, but the benchmarks I've seen between S754 Single - S939 Dual show only about a 5-7% memory performance increase, which to me wasnt worth the extra money, the 1M L2 should make up for it in some way.... that's up to you, really.....

If you decide to go with a clawhammer core CPU, try to get CG stepping (model number ends in AR) C0 steeping (model number ends in AP) were the first ones to come out, so things were improved in the CG's for it to be able to run cooler and also the memory controller is supposed to be better.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

S754 only supports single channel ram.

I'd go with S939 and ABIT. That way you could upgrade to dual core when they come out.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BSman

S754 only supports single channel ram.

I'd go with S939 and ABIT. That way you could upgrade to dual core when they come out.

Also, what do you think would be faster:

A) P4 Northwood 3.2ghz clocked to 3.8ghz
B) 3200+ Winchester clocked to ???

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Also, what do you think would be faster:

A) P4 Northwood 3.2ghz clocked to 3.8ghz
B) 3200+ Winchester clocked to ???

per my calculations the P4 would be faster for games if the HT is disabled, if it is enabled and you are multitasking it would still be faster.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

per my calculations the P4 would be faster for games if the HT is disabled, if it is enabled and you are multitasking it would still be faster.

Do you think its possible to overclock a 3200+ to a 3800+ on air?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Do you think its possible to overclock a 3200+ to a 3800+ on air?

Based on the fact that AMDs run much cooler than Intel, I would guess that it is possible, although I would recommend going with WC if you are planning a drastic overclocking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts