Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to build a cheap, but relatively powerful computer, because I need to get some money back, and I always heard that AMD is the way to go for budget PC's. So what i'm wondering at this point is what would be a good air cooler for a Phenom II X4 940?

Well, this is the setup I was thinking about

Phenom II X4 940
GA-770TA-UD3

Would that UD3 be a good overclocker for the 940? If not, which board would overclock the 940 well that's still less than 120?

Also, I won't be buying a new pc for a while, i'll just be sticking with my laptop until july or august when i'm about to go off to college. I'm just getting ideas right now so that when all the prices on everything go down in a few months, i'll know what to buy.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mth91
View Post

but that's water isn't it?

Technically Yes. It's self-contained, small, and can handle it's own against the big-boy coolers. PLUS, its EXTREMELY QUIET!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arbalest
View Post

Just go H50. They save space, look cooler, and all the other stuff I said above!

yea... save space quite and perform well. H50. is water cool tho.
for the good air cooler..i would suggest the above cooler.
and noted that those cooler are VERY BIG..u need at least a 8"1/2 WIDTH case to that fatty.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fssbzz
View Post

and noted that those cooler are VERY BIG..u need at least a 8"1/2 WIDTH case to that fatty.

HEY!? Who's side are you on here??

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Technically Yes. It's self-contained, small, and can handle it's own against the big-boy coolers. PLUS, its EXTREMELY QUIET!

Not in my testing it didn't. A Prolimatech Mega Shadow was 4-5C cooler then the H50 in a push pull config. The H50 is crap IMO. If your going to do water do it right.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
Dude stuff the corsair. Go with the V10. Perform two tasks at once cooling off the CPU and then direct airflow on your Ram. You don't have to have water to have good cooling. 2 120s' under the 230 doorfan? That's MORE than enough cooling.

Right now they're selling it at $129.99 at Newegg and CM has a $30 rebate on it good til April 30th or so, I think if I remember correctly.

It'll fit our case and your Ballistix will easily fit under the cooler. You should like that setup pretty well.

If you want great ideas for dealing with your Case you should join us in the HAF 932 & 922 Owners Group.

~Ceadder

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

View Post

HEY!? Who's side are you on here??

erm BOTH lol

if he really don't want Water COOL at all

then
he can choose those air cooler.
those perform very well on AMD CPU.

Chaoz Outside M****
lol

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

Not in my testing it didn't. A Prolimatech Mega Shadow was 4-5C cooler then the H50 in a push pull config. The H50 is crap IMO. If your going to do water do it right.

Let's save the H50/Water debate for another thread
<-- I'd personally go Water, and have been planning on it, but the H50 is damn near silent and cools quite nicely.

·
Master of Black Snow
19,338 Posts
The HAF 932 is a FATTY case baby.

~Ceadder

Quote:

Originally Posted by fssbzz
View Post

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus
View Post

prolimatech perform good on AMD CPU?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If you're not looking to spend as much as the h50 costs (they're amazing though, keeps my amd at 50C load) the ziggy dark knight or s1283 do a very good job for less $$

Temp difference between the h50 and the s1283 i had before is about 10C tho... so there is a noticeable temp difference between the two

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Let's save the H50/Water debate for another thread
<-- I'd personally go Water, and have been planning on it, but the H50 is damn near silent and cools quite nicely.

I'd be happy to recommend a nasty cheap water setup if you'd be interested that would blow the H50 away.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts