Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im thinking about geting a xeon e5-2670 8 core cpu to replace my fx 8370e would i see a difference in performance also would it be enough to game? ty

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
It would run games like GTA V really well since it actually uses the cores.
For many other games you'll be better with high IPC and raw clock speed.

Benchmarks and programs that benefit from more threads should really shine with it.

What is your PC primarily used for and how much are you getting the chip for? If I was getting a Xeon, I'd get an unlocked one or just go for Haswell-E.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1564465/psa-unlocked-8core-for-x79-if-you-cared

·
Registered
508 Posts
Get an unlocked 8-core, like the E5-1660 V3. Overclocked, it should provide multithreaded performance on a par with that of the 12 core, while absolutely destroying the 12-core in single threaded applications.

·
Super Moderator
9,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutjens View Post

Get an unlocked 8-core, like the E5-1660 V3. Overclocked, it should provide multithreaded performance on a par with that of the 12 core, while absolutely destroying the 12-core in single threaded applications.
Or just get a 5960X.
wink.gif

I'm not sure what the point of getting a server CPU is though. The 1600 series is comparable to the i7 Extreme series and is certainly an acceptable substitute, but the 2600 series supports things like multiple sockets. They can be used for gaming, but man is it a waste. $500 less gets you an unlocked multiplier and higher stock frequencies. I suppose for Haswell-EP that also means fewer cores, but as it stands, even a 5960X is pretty pointless for gaming.

Mr. OP, by E5-2670, did you possibly mean the Sandy Bridge version? No v2 or v3, just "E5-2670"? That thing is a bit outdated at this point, though it is technically an upgrade over the FX you have. Sidegrade, I suppose, based on the two CPUs' frequencies.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Or just get a 5960X.
wink.gif

I'm not sure what the point of getting a server CPU is though. The 1600 series is comparable to the i7 Extreme series and is certainly an acceptable substitute, but the 2600 series supports things like multiple sockets. They can be used for gaming, but man is it a waste. $500 less gets you an unlocked multiplier and higher stock frequencies. I suppose for Haswell-EP that also means fewer cores, but as it stands, even a 5960X is pretty pointless for gaming.

Mr. OP, by E5-2670, did you possibly mean the Sandy Bridge version? No v2 or v3, just "E5-2670"? That thing is a bit outdated at this point, though it is technically an upgrade over the FX you have. Sidegrade, I suppose, based on the two CPUs' frequencies.
Server chips usually better binned (and less leaky) than the consumer counterparts and are fully enabled for things like ECC, vPro and DBS that may be useful down the road. The E5-1660 V3 is also fully unlocked, just like the i7-5960X...
wink.gif

·
Super Moderator
9,195 Posts
No, I'm familiar with the 1600 series chips being unlocked - even when they have absolutely no reason to be, which is nice - but any multi-socket CPU is locked. That said, it's a bit more difficult to get a Xeon than the i7 equivalent generally speaking, so the i7 isn't necessarily the worse option.

As for the bonus features, games don't need ECC or vPro or anything like that. There's no reason to buy a Xeon for the purpose. Additionally, to use them, you need a server chipset (C600 series IIRC) and not the enthusiast version (X99).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Quote:

No, I'm familiar with the 1600 series chips being unlocked - even when they have absolutely no reason to be, which is nice - but any multi-socket CPU is locked. That said, it's a bit more difficult to get a Xeon than the i7 equivalent generally speaking, so the i7 isn't necessarily the worse option.

As for the bonus features, games don't need ECC or vPro or anything like that. There's no reason to buy a Xeon for the purpose. Additionally, to use them, you need a server chipset (C600 series IIRC) and not the enthusiast version (X99).
The Xeon E5 V3 family works just fine on the X99 chipset as well. The Xeons are the pick of the litter yield-wise and are the best chips Intel makes..:which is reason enough in my books to buy one instead (as the price difference is usually small). An i7 is, in most cases, just a Xeon reject chip...
wink.gif

·
Super Moderator
9,195 Posts
doh.gif
Poor phrasing, sorry. Right, up until Skylake anyway, Xeons work fine on the consumer chipset. The features like ECC do not. I think vPro works on Q87? That's a "professional" chipset; I've seen it in some business systems.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Quote:

doh.gif
Poor phrasing, sorry. Right, up until Skylake anyway, Xeons work fine on the consumer chipset. The features like ECC do not. I think vPro works on Q87? That's a "professional" chipset; I've seen it in some business systems.
ECC works on many (but not all) X99 boards, including some that accept registered RDIMMs and LRDIMMs as well. This wasn't so for most X79 based boards, however, and I'm guessing it's unlikely to be the case with Purley (Skylake-EP).

• Rep+
Reactions: CynicalUnicorn

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divineal View Post

i was talking about the sandy bridge one i can get one for about 80 dollars and x79 board for 150ish so thats y i was asking lol
not a big upgrade, it isnt worth it. a 3770k is a better choice

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutjens View Post

Quote:

doh.gif
ECC works on many (but not all) X99 boards, including some that accept registered RDIMMs and LRDIMMs as well. This wasn't so for most X79 based boards, however, and I'm guessing it's unlikely to be the case with Purley (Skylake-EP).
Hi, I would like to ask about e5-1660 V3, if it is es cpu, would it be unlocked version too?

Sent from my HUAWEI P8max using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts