Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, ive gone through 2 sets of GSkill HZs and im pretty disappointed with my sticks. i know a lot of people have gotten good results, but i cant seem to get more then 262 MHz out of these things. ive tried different settings from different threads and forums and still cant even get this to close to what i want it to do (273 MHz) for 1:1 (273 x 11)

to make things worse, i was running 273 x 11 = 3003 MHz (5/6 divider) and was prime stable for about 16 hours, but now i cant even boot with it anymore! its so frustrating. i have to resort to 2950 MHz now.

to make a long story short, i would like 1 of 2 things:

1. can someone suggest how i could squeeze more MHz out of these things?
2. what are some better 2gb kits out there i could get instead?

another possibility is maybe its my CPU?

a64 screenshot
my ex-stable 3.0 GHz


help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
crucial ballistex 2gb pc4000, they can do 300mhz
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,811 Posts
You could up the vDIMM, or loosen the timings, that should get you more stable OCs.

Other good 2GB kits include OCZ Platinums, Crucial Ballistix, and the high-end Patriots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i cant seem to find the 1gb modules of crucial ballistix on their website though. i searched on pricegrabber and saw them for $450!! im guessing its an old price. i'll up the vdimm (think i tried it, but i'll try it again) and see if tmy 3.0 will come back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by one43637

there's not a big supply of those Ballistix ram that performs so well. the Mushkins in this review got as high as DDR 586.

damm! these are like $300+. any cheaper places?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh wow....$270. i dont think i have that kinda money to drop on memory. darn computers, so expensive. lol. guess i'll try and tweak further...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
yeah sorry bud, if you want that kind of performance for ram, you need to cough up the cash.
that's why G.Skill became so popular. they weren't as expensive as the other vendors, but you could achieve some pretty good speeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, it frustrates me because all the reviews and forums said the GSkills were capable of running such fast speeds, but ive had 2 sets that wouldnt do anything more then 262. boo.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
How high does your memory clock with a more conservative CPU multiplier? Sounds more like a memory controller issue to me, the Rev E chip memory controllers suck ass. What DRAM does your memory use? Perhaps it's time to increase the voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC Newbie

How high does your memory clock with a more conservative CPU multiplier? Sounds more like a memory controller issue to me, the Rev E chip memory controllers suck ass. What DRAM does your memory use? Perhaps it's time to increase the voltage.

the mem needs about 2.6-2.8 volts. ive seen the most results around 2.6-2.7 though. i believe mine is set to 2.6 now. im gonna try 2.7 and see if i can get my 3 GHz back. i noticed your opty 148 is @ 3.4 GHz. im guessing its a CABYE/CABNE?

sorry for the newbie question, but memory controller controls how fast the memory runs or what? thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blazin-asian

the mem needs about 2.6-2.8 volts. ive seen the most results around 2.6-2.7 though. i believe mine is set to 2.6 now. im gonna try 2.7 and see if i can get my 3 GHz back. i noticed your opty 148 is @ 3.4 GHz. im guessing its a CABYE/CABNE?

sorry for the newbie question, but memory controller controls how fast the memory runs or what? thanks.

Depending on the type of DRAM on the memory, it might need even more voltage to fly...

If you are trying to figure out how high your memory will run, overclock your system with a lower CPU multiplier. This way you know your CPU is not maxing out, perhaps it's your processor that just can't handle that speed anymore.
Once you find the top speed of the memory, then increase the CPU clock multiplier and see if you can hit 3 GHz.

My chip is a CABYE but it's the cooling that allows me to clock that high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC Newbie

Depending on the type of DRAM on the memory, it might need even more voltage to fly...

If you are trying to figure out how high your memory will run, overclock your system with a lower CPU multiplier. This way you know your CPU is not maxing out, perhaps it's your processor that just can't handle that speed anymore.
Once you find the top speed of the memory, then increase the CPU clock multiplier and see if you can hit 3 GHz.

My chip is a CABYE but it's the cooling that allows me to clock that high.


ive tried lowering my CPU to 9x and running clockgen and SP2004 to slowly raise the memory. it seems to give me errors after 262 MHz or so. i havent tested the sticks individually because of schoolwork, but these are about the same as the last pair that i had.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blazin-asian

ive tried lowering my CPU to 9x and running clockgen and SP2004 to slowly raise the memory. it seems to give me errors after 262 MHz or so. i havent tested the sticks individually because of schoolwork, but these are about the same as the last pair that i had.

Can you tell us what DRAM your memory uses? G.Skill doesn't use heatspreadres right? How did the voltage increase go, did it help?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC Newbie

Can you tell us what DRAM your memory uses? G.Skill doesn't use heatspreadres right? How did the voltage increase go, did it help?


g.skill HZ's use Samsung UCCC IC's

I believe the newer UCCC hasn't been OC'ing quite as high as older chips. If you take a look at reviews between OCZ PC4000 gold and OCZ PC4000 Gold GX (the only difference is that the GX is newer and uses the new heatspreader) the GX tend to not OC as well as the older style. Even though the newer chips haven't been OC'ing as high as the older ones I believe they should be able to hit 265-270 with 3-4-4-8 timings.

I haven't gotten the opportunity to try mine out any higher than 250 so I can't help you from personal experience.

You could try running at a 2T command rate just to see if that gives you the stability you want. depending on benchmarks you may not want to run 2T all the time, but it would be good to know if 2Twould fix things for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC Newbie

Can you tell us what DRAM your memory uses? G.Skill doesn't use heatspreadres right? How did the voltage increase go, did it help?

yea, im at 2.73 now and can boot with 3.0. i forgot i set it back to 2.6 for testing. oops, lol. and they have black heatspreaders. prime testing now. we'll see in about 8-10 hours how stable it is.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top