Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen that a local retailer has the ryzen 7 1700x for $349 CAD (24hr deal). From what I understand, it’s the better bang for the buck compared to the 1800x that I was originally planning to get.

Would this mobo be a good match for it?

https://m.newegg.ca/products/N82E16813132989

I prefer asus boards, and hear that the x370 chipset is better for overclocking than it’s x350 counterpart. That’s about the max I’d want to spend on a board.

As far as ram goes, I have no idea what would be best. Planning to go with 16GB, but should I go with 4x4gb, or 2x8gb sticks? Keep in mind that I plan to overclock the cpu, and which speed/CL to get? Looking at CORSAIR brand only, again just personal preference.

Upgrading from a AMD FX system (8370 @4.6ghz) that I put together roughly a year ago. Wish I could of waited for ryzen, but I needed something to game on at the time. My last question is, will I see a significant performance boost in games using my GTX 1060 6Gb? I don’t have the funds for a better video card on top of all this, especially with the prices on em nowadays with the mining craze...just insane. The games I play are battlefield 1, and Tom Clancy’s the division at 1080p.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Seen that a local retailer has the ryzen 7 1700x for $349 CAD (24hr deal). From what I understand, it’s the better bang for the buck compared to the 1800x that I was originally planning to get.

I prefer asus boards, and hear that the x370 chipset is better for overclocking than it’s x350 counterpart. That’s about the max I’d want to spend on a board.

As far as ram goes, I have no idea what would be best. Planning to go with 16GB, but should I go with 4x4gb, or 2x8gb sticks? Keep in mind that I plan to overclock the cpu, and which speed/CL to get? Looking at CORSAIR brand only, again just personal preference.

Upgrading from a AMD FX system (8370 @4.6ghz) that I put together roughly a year ago. Wish I could of waited for ryzen, but I needed something to game on at the time. My last question is, will I see a significant performance boost in games using my GTX 1060 6Gb? I don’t have the funds for a better video card on top of all this, especially with the prices on em nowadays with the mining craze...just insane. The games I play are battlefield 1, and Tom Clancy’s the division at 1080p.

The Ryzen 2700 is coming out in 2 weeks, and it'll be 3.3Ghz Base 4.1Ghz boost. It'll clock higher than the 1800X, and it'll be $299 USD. It might be worth it to wait.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Overclocking Ryzen should be the same on B350 and X370 boards, they just minus/add features you might not even need, so look into the actual differences. You'll get no benefit from 4 RAM sticks as Ryzen has a dual-channel memory controller, so 2x8GB sticks is the way to go. Fast RAM for Ryzen really does give some extra performance. I heard at first they could max out at 2933mhz, then later on they refined everything and I believe for sure they can do 3200mhz, beyond that I really don't know. You should see a significant performance boost in games, as a GTX 1060 6GB is really premium GPU for 1080p, it has a lot more horsepower than a gtx 1050ti. Congrats, I think you will be really impressed with how nice everything will be and play. CAD should be really smooth for rendering and doing 3d space calculations, you should have a lot of fun. Your FX chip is still fast and maybe you should do some further inquiry about what performance you can truly expect, watch videos and read forums about the differences. Your FX chip runs fast with your OC. Like the guy in the post before mine said, I agree look into the Ryzen+ series of CPU's that gives you time to be sure if it's really worth it or not. The gains might not be. I do agree you are CPU bottlenecked by how much I'm not for sure. If you game on a 60hz monitor I would not worry about upgrading. Might be better to get a 144hz monitor with Gsync, and just play, as GSYNC matchs your frame to the frame on the monitor by varying the refresh rate of the monitor in sync to the GPUs output. That will give you a much better fluidity and higher visual fidelity with CAD, and ofcourse any video games you might play, as image smearing and tearing disappear with such features listed above. So with Gsync monitors the frame rate might not be very high but it seems smooth as if it really is, there is no stutter. You might notice mouse input delay, like how fast you move the mouse and how it corresponds to distance traveled in game at lower FPS, or animations move slower to the point you actually think the game is running slower, pixel for pixel those animations will never look so clear and fluid regardless of the actual FPS. Those are my recommenations and concerns in-regards to an upgrade.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The Ryzen 2700 is coming out in 2 weeks, and it'll be 3.3Ghz Base 4.1Ghz boost. It'll clock higher than the 1800X, and it'll be $299 USD. It might be worth it to wait.
This advice right here!

Zen+ brings improved memory support and higher clocks. Either get a 2700 or buy an even more heavily discounted 1700x in two weeks time.

·
waifu for lifu
11,318 Posts
Overclocking Ryzen should be the same on B350 and X370 boards, they just minus/add features you might not even need, so look into the actual differences. You'll get no benefit from 4 RAM sticks as Ryzen has a dual-channel memory controller, so 2x8GB sticks is the way to go. Fast RAM for Ryzen really does give some extra performance. I heard at first they could max out at 2933mhz, then later on they refined everything and I believe for sure they can do 3200mhz, beyond that I really don't know. You should see a significant performance boost in games, as a GTX 1060 6GB is really premium GPU for 1080p, it has a lot more horsepower than a gtx 1050ti. Congrats, I think you will be really impressed with how nice everything will be and play. CAD should be really smooth for rendering and doing 3d space calculations, you should have a lot of fun. Your FX chip is still fast and maybe you should do some further inquiry about what performance you can truly expect, watch videos and read forums about the differences. Your FX chip runs fast with your OC. Like the guy in the post before mine said, I agree look into the Ryzen+ series of CPU's that gives you time to be sure if it's really worth it or not. The gains might not be. I do agree you are CPU bottlenecked by how much I'm not for sure. If you game on a 60hz monitor I would not worry about upgrading. Might be better to get a 144hz monitor with Gsync, and just play, as GSYNC matchs your frame to the frame on the monitor by varying the refresh rate of the monitor in sync to the GPUs output. That will give you a much better fluidity and higher visual fidelity with CAD, and ofcourse any video games you might play, as image smearing and tearing disappear with such features listed above. So with Gsync monitors the frame rate might not be very high but it seems smooth as if it really is, there is no stutter. You might notice mouse input delay, like how fast you move the mouse and how it corresponds to distance traveled in game at lower FPS, or animations move slower to the point you actually think the game is running slower, pixel for pixel those animations will never look so clear and fluid regardless of the actual FPS. Those are my recommenations and concerns in-regards to an upgrade.
OP: Your current cpu is fast enough. The monitor upgrade will be a much better gaming upgrade imo.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys, it’s actually what I was hoping to hear. My current setup provides pretty respectable frame rates in the games that I play currently, on high or ultra graphic settings. Occasional dips under 50fps in some spots, which are noticeable...but nothing crazy. I’ll probably wait it out as long as I can, save up some more cash and go big later on. Even though FX is pretty old tech now, it still runs a lot of games well surprisingly.

Regarding the monitor suggestion, sadly I bought a new “gaming” monitor a few months ago. Asus 60hz with 1ms response time (currently oc’d to 74hz, won’t do 75hz). I feel like that helped out a lot with compared to the old hp1907 (5ms response time) I was using for the longest time. So with that said, getting another monitor isn’t really worth it at this point.

This leads me to another question, would there be any sense in using the money I was going to spend on zen, and getting a better videocard, like a 1070? From what I’ve read, my FX cpu would be bottlenecking a GPU of that caliber. Again I’d be buying it used, due to the crazy prices they want for em now. Even in the used market they’re still pricey. Am I at a “happy medium” with my current setup in terms of performance?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
60 Hz. Is your monitor 4K?

The bottleneck moves to the GPU the higher the resolution, but that being said I wouldn't go higher than a 1060 with an FX CPU.

·
waifu for lifu
11,318 Posts
Given you have that new monitor and basically max out settings currently getting a 1070 doesnt make financial sense to me. You are dropping a lot of $ for an additional 10 frames.

*you can get those 10 frames back by dropping some settings, usually AA/AO/shadow/lighting (frame killers).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
60 Hz. Is your monitor 4K?

The bottleneck moves to the GPU the higher the resolution, but that being said I wouldn't go higher than a 1060 with an FX CPU.
It’s 1080p -

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ming-monitor-vp247h-p-black-vp247h-p/10409481

Didn’t think it was worth it for an fx chip, but just thought I’d ask. Will have to upgrade the card eventually if I do go with a ryzen...just not sure in which order to do it. Definitely won’t be doing it all at once!

Given you have that new monitor and basically max out settings currently getting a 1070 doesnt make financial sense to me. You are dropping a lot of $ for an additional 10 frames.

*you can get those 10 frames back by dropping some settings, usually AA/AO/shadow/lighting (frame killers).
Very true, I’ll have to mess around with the settings a bit more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, it’s actually what I was hoping to hear. My current setup provides pretty respectable frame rates in the games that I play currently, on high or ultra graphic settings. Occasional dips under 50fps in some spots, which are noticeable...but nothing crazy. I’ll probably wait it out as long as I can, save up some more cash and go big later on. Even though FX is pretty old tech now, it still runs a lot of games well surprisingly.

Regarding the monitor suggestion, sadly I bought a new “gaming” monitor a few months ago. Asus 60hz with 1ms response time (currently oc’d to 74hz, won’t do 75hz). I feel like that helped out a lot with compared to the old hp1907 (5ms response time) I was using for the longest time. So with that said, getting another monitor isn’t really worth it at this point.

This leads me to another question, would there be any sense in using the money I was going to spend on zen, and getting a better videocard, like a 1070? From what I’ve read, my FX cpu would be bottlenecking a GPU of that caliber. Again I’d be buying it used, due to the crazy prices they want for em now. Even in the used market they’re still pricey. Am I at a “happy medium” with my current setup in terms of performance?
Just sell your monitor to recoup your investment, take it as a loss, hook someone up, sell it on Ebay, just don't sell under %50 for sure, it's new. You could possible sell it for new. Have a buy it now option without a person waiting for a bid to expire. try it. Then sell it to the guy/girl at a modest nice price. You can have a little explanation or none at all. Do whatever seems right as you need to understand the marketing segment for it. Who will end buying it?
Then add the extra cash for a nice 1080p G-sync monitor and be done, you'll like it like the other people are saying, I'm sure in the end you consider it far worth it, after its all said and done, and will be extremely content with the performance of your computer with G-sync enabled. That you will comfortably be able do just that, Have fun, hang out, and when the experience really does degrade enough, and that should be a while from now, given you've got a nice gsync monitor then go for another upgrade. Here is the thing someday you'll want to play just one game, way later on from now if you think your content now with whats out there as you haven't experienced gaming on a G-sync monitor or using it for CAD, both applications should yield very smooth experience, and if you had an AMD GPU, I'd say go for a FreeSYNC monitor!! Make the most of what you got, however I'd let the monitor you just bought go, and really pony up on some end game equipment that will pay itself back to you in dividends. I really believe this would make for a worthwhile investment despite the fact you recently purchased a monitor, however you can sell it and recoup your investment towards an upgraded monitor from the one you own now. 1080p 144hz gync then you can monitor CPU usage, and GPU usage and look for bottlenecks in the percentages shown, and not see it on your monitor cause you have G-SYNC, I hope this makes great sense to you, and good luck. Sometimes it's the price you pay, hook someone up with a decent price on the monitor, and put what you would of put towards a CPU/MOBO upgrade towards a monitor
Hoperfully in the end you should have a little more money left over with a better experience holistically. I doubt anyone will say a G-sync monitor is a bad idea guy, eventually more and more monitors and maybe even TVs', you never know will use this feature. BTW, HDMI 2.1 uses this standard, like Display-port does now. So all connection types will have this option in the future it's just up to the manufacturers to decide on whether a certain monitor/tv should have it or not.

·
waifu for lifu
11,318 Posts
A lot of members here tend to upgrade with every new gen. How? They sell their current gear. That high rez monitor seems to be the missing piece for a great pc gaming experience.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot of members here tend to upgrade with every new gen. How? They sell their current gear. That high rez monitor seems to be the missing piece for a great pc gaming experience.
Too much of a hassle IMO to be selling stuff left and right, I can't be bothered with it. I'm pretty happy with my current monitor, the main focus is the guts of the system..but I guess at this point in time it's not really worth doing, maybe when the new zen line is released.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts