Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to upgrading to SLI soon, would my cpu be bottle necking the 470 in sli?
I've been thinking about doing a complete system upgrade at the end of the year anyway, but if all I have to do is either buy a better quad core or overclock my current cpu it would make it a lot cheaper. Or is my cpu fine?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what would be a good overclock for this cpu? On that note where can i find the bios for the xfx 750i motherboard to be able to overclock?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Your gonna need to get an i7 to utilize the full potential of GTX 470s in SLI + a 9800 GTX as PhysX. If you do happen to get a lower end 775 quad core you will most likely have a bottleneck even if you overclock.

·
Banned
3,414 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elite-
View Post

Your gonna need to get an i7 to utilize the full potential of GTX 470s in SLI + a 9800 GTX as PhysX. If you do happen to get a lower end 775 quad core you will most likely have a bottleneck even if you overclock.

A c2q should suffice at 4ghz for 470 sli.

...and physx is gay.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so it seems im going to need to do a complete system upgrade like i thought.
BUT since its going to be another 3-4 months till i upgrade.
How am i going to overclock my c2q? my motherboard wont let me so i need a bios update or flash i believe but have no idea where to find that at.
Motherboard is the xfx 750i motherboard.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well buying a new mobo and buying a new 775 quad core is pointless really. if im going to buy new things its going to be an i7 and a x58 mobo.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthepastxx
View Post

Well buying a new mobo and buying a new 775 quad core is pointless really. if im going to buy new things its going to be an i7 and a x58 mobo.

Get an i7 930 and an X58 sli motherboard that has two slots of spacing between pci-e 16x slots. The Asus P6T Deluxe v2 is a good example. Asrock X58 Extreme... etc

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i was starting to think about other things for a moment there sorry about that. But Fully upgrading everything is the way to go.
Does anyone know how the six core i7's are? Are they even worth buy for what i think is 1000$?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthepastxx View Post
yeah, i was starting to think about other things for a moment there sorry about that. But Fully upgrading everything is the way to go.
Does anyone know how the six core i7's are? Are they even worth buy for what i think is 1000$?
Depends what you do. If you have $1000 to spend on a CPU, it isn't exactly a bad choice since it has a higher stock clock speed and two more cores which adds a lot to performance.

But if you're just gaming, I wouldn't do it since few games use more than four cores and no game out needs a CPU that powerful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright, thanks for all the help guys, I sound like i know nothing, even though i know a lot about computers. I guess everyone gets like this at one point or another when trying to figure out what to do when spending the $$$ lol.

But here's one thing i've been avoiding for a very long time. Water cooling, is it safer then it was a year or two ago? I know i was talking with a local guy who works and fixes computers and he told me they have a solution out now that if the tubes do leak theres no worry about harming your hardware any truth to this?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthepastxx
View Post

For gaming the Intel Core i7 980X 3.33Ghz would be over kill but I would love to have one in my folding rig.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts