Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of upgrading my system.
motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU - Can someone tell me if it's really worth the $30 difference in price.
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.9GHz/4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor

The newegg PSU calculator says I get get by with 463 watts. My current PSU is 450. Think I can get by with that or should I get something else. Currently, I'm using a Sapphire 4850 GPU.

Finally, what memory would be a good pairing? How can I tell whether I can use PC3 14900 vs PC3 16000 or even something else?

·
Registered
293 Posts
At first, good choice of the components!
thumb.gif

But don't get the OEM version of this processor. I think it only offers 1 year warranty and costs more. I'm not sure why the price is higher though.

I wouldn't go with your current 450W PSU, instead get the Corsair CX600 V2 or GS600.
For the Memory I'd go for DDR3-1866 RAM, because Bulldozer supports 1866MHz natively.
Unfortunately I can't tell you the exact model or brand you have to go for, because that differs from store to store. Not everything is available, but I guess looks matter too, so it's pretty much up to you.
Just make sure to get 1866MHz with like CL9 or lower timings for the best performance.

I hope I could help you out!
smile.gif

·
No.2 in Gaming
1,936 Posts
if your going for aircooling, the 8120 and 8150 will be stuck at about 4ghz,if your getting water cooling then you can run higher.
so you might as well get a 8120 if your going air,but its dam hot.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGhunter View Post

I'll probably air cool at the start but eventually just swap over to an H50 or 70.
I pretty much use it for gaming and web design. Creative Suite stuff with flash, etc.
I guess your decision is right. Just try air for now and if you need more performance or want to overclock generally get a watercooling kit like the H50 or 70, just like you already mentioned above.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
491 Posts
I say you save some money and get a FX-8120 instead. It will clock just as high for less cash.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well unless Creative Suite is unexpectedly demanding on the CPU & benefits from multiple threads, you should probably consider getting an i5 or an i3 of some sort, depending on if you want to pay for the ability to overclock.

I'd personally recommend one of the following CPU & Mobo combinations:

i3-2100 or 2120 + cheap h61 or h67 motherboard ($165-200)
This option is the best budget option for gaming if your work programs don't take huge amounts of CPU power. With better per-core performance than AMD chips it is better for gaming.

i5-3570k or i7-3770k + z77 mobo ($330-$430, less if near microcenter)
The i5 is the best for CPU for gaming, unless you're a very aggressive overclocker (then the i5-2500k is better). The i7 is good if your work programs are heavily multi-threaded and need CPU power.

FX-8120 + AM3+ mobo (which you're considering)
You should get a less expensive motherboard if you consider this option. A Bulldozer chip is a good option only if you can use 8 threads and can't afford an i7. So the checklist for this combination being a good idea is: 1)Your CPU processing power has a significant effect on your work productivity 2)The programs you use can utilize many threads 3)you can't afford an i7 4) you can buy a bulldozer for significantly less than an i7. So consider Bulldozer only if you're going to pay less than $350 or so for the CPU+mobo you select. And to be honest, an i5 will beat the bulldozer for most workstation tasks anyway, so bulldozer is really only a great deal if you can get it + mobo for under $300.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, the whole cs5 sweet has multi-core support. I basically upgrade my pc once every 4+ years so I'm trying to find something that I can keep a while. My current computer is a 7750 Kuma AMD processor. My last PC was an Intel P4. I haven't looked 100% into Intel. Typically, AMD has been cheaper and since I went AMD after my last Intel, I was pretty happy with the performance. I'll have to look a little more and see if I can finagle some Intel products for cheaper.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
AMD is much less competitive in terms of the top end performance that it was in the past. Back when I had my AMD Athlon 64 it kicked Intel's ass. Not so much anymore. So.. yeah, even for multi-threaded performance, you shouldn't get Bulldozer unless getting an i7-2600k + $100ish mobo + $20 cooler is a hardship.

For heavily multi-threaded stuff I think the performance chart goes:

Xeon > i7-3630k > i7-2600k or i7-3770 > FX 8120 > i5-2500k

Cost goes something like (for single-gpu mobos, very ballparkish):

Don't know but very high > $750 > $430-$450 > $300 ($180+$120 mobo?) > $300 ($200+$100 mobo)

The first two CPUs on that list are, of course, very expensive for both mobo & cpu. Choosing between the i7s is a matter of how aggressively you like to overclock. Moderate overclocks = i7-3770k, heavy overclocks = i7-2600k. The i5-2500k equals the 8120 in a surprising number of applications even when heavily threaded, and it wins big in less-threaded stuff, so if prices are similar I suggest the i5-2500k anyway. I didn't mention the i7-3690x, i5-3570k, or the FX 8150 since you almost always want to get the cheaper version and overclock higher instead of the more expensive version.

In terms of cores & threads the i7-3630k has 6 true cores, 12 threads, the 1155 socket i7s have 4 true cores, 4 threads, the FX 8120 has 4 Bulldozer modules which are advertised as 2 full cores each but each pair of cores shares some resources, and the i5 has 4 true cores with no extra hyperthreading. The i7s beat the bulldozer because per-core performance is better and hyperthreading actually works pretty well with most multi-threaded stuff.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I was thinking about the 3.1 Bulldozer, it's $169 (everyone says it clocks just as well as the 3.6 version that is still only $200). The Fatality MB is $179. The i7 2600k is ~$300. MB would be another $150ish. You really think that performance difference would be worth that extra price?

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you live near a Micro Center, the FX 8120 can be had for $149.99+ tax.
thumb.gif

Linky:http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375765

I have mine runnin' 4.4GHz @ 1.31 volts. Easiest overclock ever!
I've been paying alot of BF3 since I've installed this chip, and I'm now averaging over 90FPS, up from 75FPS on my Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.85GHz.
Nothing short of awesome!!!

Cheers
cheers.gif

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well I usually suggest a cheaper mobo than people are used to for intel chips, since Intel CPUs don't pull as much power through the motherboard and getting a higher-end board isn't nearly as beneficial (you can still overclock fairly high on medium to low-end overclocking boards that cost ~$100 with no worries). But "worth it" is subjective. Take the difference in price, take some time to google appropriate benchmarks for tasks you consider important, and think about it yourself. I can tell you an overclocked i7 will outperform an overclocked Bulldozer in basically everything. But by how much depends on application. And whether it's worth it depends on how much you like spending less money & need the performance/how much real world benefit you'd actually get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts