Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the OC.NET site and noticed that quite a few people owned ThinkPads. In hesitation, ive decided to start a ThinkPad Owners Club. If you own a thinkpad then you'll most likely understand why people tend to go back to them. I love my r50e. I ran CPU-Z and found out that my L2 was 2mb! I also found out that I had the same core as the Prescott. I was rather chuffed at that. What more could you want for £600?!

Anyway, if anyone has any question or problems about the thinkpad family, post them here. Any other misc. stuff is welcome too.

Enjoy,

The Jester

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Yeah, I've got a Thinkpad A30 PIII 1Ghz 512mb PC133 RAM (I upgraded from 256mb) 30gig hd, ATI mobility radeon 16mb gfx, CD-burner.

My wife has a A31 P4 1.6Ghz 512mb DDR266 (upgraded from 256 again) 30gig hd, ATI mobility radeon 32mb gfx DVD drive.

Furthermore, everyone that goes the the school we attend gets an IBM laptop. I'm not impressed at all. My first thinkpad had numerous problems and blue screened all the time. It was sent into IBM more than once, had to get multiple new hard drives... I'm on the second one right now and it's still crappy... blue screens isn't stable or reliable.

My wife's laptop while it hasn't been as much trouble as mine it is still rather unreliable and just last night crashed.

I have many friends who have had problems with their laptops as well. I know that if and when I ever buy another laptop it will not be an IBM. I'll probably give Dell a try... but as far as I'm concerned thinkpads are overpriced paperweights.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last laptop was a thinkpad 560x - that only crashed twice and this one hasnt crashed once so far. As far as dell's go. Im not keen on them.

I suppose its all a matter of opinion :/

The next laptop i buy will most definatley be another ThinkPad

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Idk... I just haven't had that great of an experience with IBM's I mean they are better than Compaqs. That's what my school used before I got here and they were definately worse. But I refuse to think that I just got a bad computer when my replacement hasn't been that great and has had to go into the shop a few times and I've only had it for a yaer.

When a school has a laptop program and every incoming student gets a laptop, all the professors and faculity get laptops and they're all thinkpads... many of them have had problems after a year or two I think it says something.

I haven't had much experience w/ Dell's laptops other than the fact that my Uncle only gets Dells for his business, which means lots of desktops and lots of laptops and they all work well and seem to be reliable. So that's what I'm going off of when I say Dell if I ever buy another laptop.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Well, I sorry you had such bad luck with yours, soloz2. I inherited mine from my dad and I have liked it. There have been a couple of problems, but I attribute that to him using it allot and me getting it 2 1/2 years old. Apart from that, I love it. Is thin, runs great, is nice and sturdy (unlike my dad's new Dell laptop) and it has a built-in recovery sector, so even if you lost every disk it came with, you can still reload a fresh copy of Windows XP from the hard drive in about 30 mins. (Beet that Dell!)

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I have an ole' R31 that someone gave me for free last year. 1.06ghz P3, 256megs of ram, 40gb hard drive, wifi, damn nice for $0. Its perfectly silent in class and its pretty light....i guess. Looking to upgrade to a T40 as soon as one comes along in my price range...

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah - the T series rocks - ill splash out and get the T42p next time i buy one

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Well the A series just plain suck. I have an A30 and my wife has an A31... both are POS overpriced paperweights.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here's some pics of my T40 that I got three years ago and the specs. I got that one free with my scholarship, but I have the option of getting the new one next year. Here is this years model, so next years will be even better. =)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am currently fixing up an old T23, which i was given for free with a dead motherboard (which i have replaced). and used to have a T40 at a previous job of mine.

both are good laptops, with excellent build quality and features, i love the attention to detail, like the keyboard lights etc.

on a different issue:

-in responce to an earlier comment about the guy who was at a school which had loads of problems with thinkpads, in my experience this is true of any manufacturer.

i say this because in my previous job i worked in technical support for a big company. Whilst i was there the company was switching from Dell Laptops to IBM systems. the fact is when you have hundreds of pc's you will get hardware malfunctions on a regular basis(because there are so many units). The Dells in my experience are just as likley to break as the IBM's, and as systems get older they will be more prone to breaking. The most important thing in such a situation is for the company (or school) to get a good service contract with the hardware manufacturer e.g. next day repair.

i am sure from my own experience (of both companies products) that if his school used dell's he would now have a similar view of dell. (althougth i will say that the one things dell's do have going for them is that they tend to be cheaper
)

- also that must be a pretty swish school if every student gets a thinkpad !

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
I just found one that my dad bought way back in the day... If my guess is right, it's either a 2nd gen or 3rd gen laptop.

EDIT: LOL epic bumped a 2 year old thread

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
ThinkPad owner.
Have R61, T42, X20, 200X at home
only the 200X doesn't work anymore

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm surprised I don't see too many ThinkPad threads around here; everything is about "gaming", while there is really much more to a laptop than that. These things are really built like tanks. I've got an old ThinkPad sitting around, I think it's got something like a Pentium II 266 in it, still functional.

Meanwhile, I see these "multimedia" laptops, HP, Acer, etc., that are cracked and broken to pieces within a couple years and are just pieces of garbage. I'm quite pleased that the Lenovo takeover of IBM hasn't reduced the quality of ThinkPad line any (Except, maybe, for the new "SL" line of ThinkPads, which is really just a ThinkPad minus Thinkpad ruggedness). After my (Dell) D600 gives way, I'll probably be getting a T series Thinkpad.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mines is a T61. Bought it off a member here and its been working great since I got it a few months ago. Its extremely heavy which is the only problem I have with it. Everything about the components are good though, I expect to use it for the next few years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts