Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while OCN. I remember you guys helping me a lot for when I started decide on parts to purchase. This time I'm going for a third build.

I'm going for a gaming build with a budget cap of $1,400. Let's make it happen.

CPU: Core i5-760
RAM: (2 x 4GB) *
MOBO: *
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 470
PSU: Corsair TX750
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
Case: Cooler Master Black HAF 922
Cooler: *
Op. Drive: LITE-ON Black 24X

So far this is what I got. I'm trying to get the best for $1,400. Need some advice for the ones I left empty and with asterisk, if you feel I could choose better for the other ones and can still stay within 1400 you can let me know.

I also plan to do a little OCing on the CPU. Will come back to you guys for that once after I build this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
For GPU, i would go with sli 460s, or perhaps a 470. I just don't think the 480 is worth the price/performance. Not sure about motherboard.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle2194 View Post
For GPU, i would go with sli 460s, or perhaps a 470. I just don't think the 480 is worth the price/performance. Not sure about motherboard.
Found an EVGA SLi 470. The total is now at $823. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
789 Posts
hold on and I will put together a list

·
Registered
789 Posts
one question do you mean 2 4 gig sticks or 2 2 gig sticks for ram?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Build for 2011? go Bulldozer!

• Rep+
Reactions: Lockedge

·
Registered
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wh-ATI View Post
Build for 2011? go Bulldozer!
or sandybridge

·
Registered
788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdawg33 View Post
or sandybridge
indeed. and for OS, I'd definitely go with Windows 7

• Rep+

·
Registered
789 Posts
here is what I came up with if you take the ram from 8 gigs to 4 you could either squeeze in SLI 460's or a 480
LL

• Rep+

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdawg33 View Post
here is what I came up with if you take the ram from 8 gigs to 4 you could either squeeze in SLI 460's or a 480
Hmm so you recommend to go cheaper on RAM to fit in another GPU for SLI? I wanted to try something new and run 8GBs of RAM. How much better is that to running 4GB RAM?

I'll use your list though. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
355 Posts
gdawgs list looks pretty solid. The only thing I'd change is to pick up a xfx 750w PSU which is modular for better cable management.

Having 4GB of ram is good enough imo the difference isnt greatly noticeable.

Also wanted to point out on newegg there is a combo right now with the sabertooth 55i mobo you should check out. It includes an SSD, mobo, cpu (i7), ram, A1200 case for under $800. Add psu, hd, gpu, h50 and you'll be set and within budget.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xhamanx View Post
gdawgs list looks pretty solid. The only thing I'd change is to pick up a xfx 750w PSU which is modular for better cable management.

Having 4GB of ram is good enough imo the difference isnt greatly noticeable.

Yeah was going to look for a modular PSU.

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts
If this is for 2011,you will want to wait for SandyBridge/Bulldozer,also for the Radeon 6 series.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I dont really think having alot more RAM will help. alot of apps, games etc, only really require 4gb so you'd be fine with that, id diffenatly go with SLi 460s. i heard they have almost as good performance as the 480 but for less.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by xhamanx View Post
Check out the combo deal I edited on my other post.
That's great but I'm not buying all together so soon. I'm actually buying parts one by one, as I don't have $1400 at the moment.

It's just going to get me up to mid 2011 to have all parts purchased.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by davista111 View Post
I dont really think having alot more RAM will help. alot of apps, games etc, only really require 4gb so you'd be fine with that, id diffenatly go with SLi 460s. i heard they have almost as good performance as the 480 but for less.
Copy that. Guess I'm bumping down to 4GBs RAM and going SLI 460

·
Registered
788 Posts
I for one know that in my 2011 build I'll have 6gigs ram.
But I won't be able to upgrade too much after the initial build (beacause of em money issues). dunno bout you

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL I'm confused on RAM now.

·
Registered
788 Posts
SLI 460's is a great deal but 8 gigs would be for pure e-peen unless you do serious virtual machinery or video/audio editing and stuffs

• Rep+
1 - 20 of 63 Posts