Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a TBI from military service (desert storm) I have epilepsy/damage to my right eye/ear. So certain games I can't play anymore. Mostly first person because of the optical perspective which will actually cause a seizure/severe migrane, etc etc etc. I can play third person because it gives me something to focus on as well as the surrounding environment, plus no annoying "head bob" motion that makes me sick. So I've been playing assassin's creed, division 2 and a few other third person. But there doesn't seem to be many new ones coming out along those styles (already have AC odyssey, valhalla and most of the older). Could anybody recommend some good ones to pickup? Storyline, graphics, gameplay are all pretty important. Don't really do "run and gun" type stuff anymore. Division is likely the only exception to that. Obvious blood/gore, etc don't bother me and my rig can handle all the latest pretty well. So no issues there. With the pandemic I've gone from being a prototype mechanical engineer/master fabrcator to a stay at home dad/3rd grade teacher lol So obviously have a bit more free time than I'm used to. So a new game will actually last me quite awhile when I'm playing 2 or three others as well. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it.
SP

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Ghostbusters is pretty fun. I searched for it on Steam and now they have a Remastered version. I don't see huge differences other than now it can be played at 4k. I think it's worth $25.

Edit: And now I'm probably going to play it again after watching their video and hearing the theme song. lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! That actually looks pretty good. Can I play it offline or is a steam account/connection needed? What about key remapping? I play left handed config and use the arrow keys as movement. Was also reading about the Witcher 3 wild hunt? What are your thoughts on that one? Open world by the looks of it, but only know so much about the story line.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,947 Posts
Thanks! That actually looks pretty good. Can I play it offline or is a steam account/connection needed? Was also reading about the Witcher 3 wild hunt? What are your thoughts on that one? Open world by the looks of it, but only know so much about the story line.
I'm not sure. My copy of Ghostbusters is from a DVD I bought a long time ago.

I don't know anything about The Witcher 3. I haven't played the first two either.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have a hard time adapting to new games and most of my Steam library has been played less than 10 hours. Then Red Dead Redemption 2 came along. This game is Zelda 64 good. Over the course of 6 months, I played through the entire main story and both epilogues and did most of the side missions. This game checks all your boxes and then some: storyline, graphics, gameplay, 3rd person perspective. Unfortunately I think you need to be connected to the internet to launch the game using the Rockstar launcher and I am not sure if its cloud-save only.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,105 Posts
Some may disagree, but I highly recommend the Souls series (if you’re into dark fantasy).

The story is intertwined very well with the gameplay. It’s subtle but deep.

But the story is not the main driver. It’s the very tight, deep, gameplay. You’ll need a controller but if you’re game to play something with a bit more depth than your standard AAA game, I highly recommend.

If the Souls is outside your comfort zone, I’d recommend RDR2 as well. It’s a very impressive open world adaptation of the wild west. The cutscenes and story from my brief time with it was very engaging.

I just paused my play through and haven’t had the time to get back into it but I think it’s up your alley.

Another series worth jumping into is Resident Evil. Capcom has done a great job reviving the series. The original, RE2, and RE3 all have had excellent remakes in the past few years. Avoid RE7 and the upcoming RE 8 as both are first person.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Played resident even way back in the day lol Dark souls looks really good as well, but not one I can play around an 8 year old. Was looking at RDR2 awhile ago, but also read up on all the issues they had disconnecting if your internet dropped out. Had enough issues with that in the past through other games. So now I focus on games that can be played without saving to a server or at the least something that won't crash if the internet does. Frustrating as hell when in a division 2 moment and kicking ass, only to get booted from the server for whatever reason. Unfortunately ALL games seem to be going via the online connection/cloud save requirement. I don't drop connection often, but once in awhile it may stutter and it's usually just enough to get me kicked out. I was eager for cyberpunk 2077 to finally make it to the real world, only to find out they opted for only first person. Ironically my wife has it for our ps and she loves it. I can watch about 10 minutes and need to leave the room. But so far you guys have dropped some good possibilities out there for me. This will date me...but I've been gaming since before unreal tournament. Even on some competitive teams back then. But ya, those days are passed, it's more about the quality of the environment/story line now. But there's still something to be said for sending a round downrange or sticking an axe into somebody's head lol After the military the run/gun's lost a lot of their excitement but that's okay. There are enough similar to still enjoy it combined with a story arc now. Any other suggestions? I'm going to read up on RDR2 some more and find out if the storyline can be played offline and who knows...maybe dark souls will be my night time (after the kids out) fun time. Looked creepy, but the graphics are fantastic. Oh, if anybody knows anything about witcher3 wild hunt, let me know. Also play with a left handed configuration (way old school), so key remapping options are a must.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,086 Posts
@Soulpatch The problem with the Witcher 3 is, after it ends, main story & the 2 DLCs, you'll feel a huge emptiness & every other game would feel lackluster. lol .

Definitely play it!, cannot recommend it more. One of the greatest games ever made. And definitely get the GOTY edition. The Two DLCs are incredible!

Oh, and since you mentioned playing around an 8yr old, the game has nudity & sexual content.
But here's the fun part, almost every story line changes based on your dialogue choices & your actions. So if you don't flirt with the women in game you avoid the sexual content. 😆

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Horizon zero dawn or immortals: fenyx rising may be good for you :).
Horizon zero dawn looks really good, I saw that there is a single player complete offline download. Just need to find a "good" place to download it from. Fenyx rising looks pretty good as well, was watching a video and there's a lot of humor involved in it. Although I don't play with a controller and have always used k/m.

@Soulpatch The problem with the Witcher 3 is, after it ends, main story & the 2 DLCs, you'll feel a huge emptiness & every other game would feel lackluster. lol .

Definitely play it!, cannot recommend it more. One of the greatest games ever made. And definitely get the GOTY edition. The Two DLCs are incredible!
Spent an hour last night reviewing Witcher3 wild hunt. Absolutely going on the list of games to pickup!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Horizon Zero Dawn.
Dark Souls (Make sure to go remastered for the first game)
Resident Evil 2 / 3 though 3 is lacking content, worth it on a cheap - ass sale.

·
PC Enthusiast
1,086 Posts
Another one that I'd recommend is Yakuza 0. Great story.
You play as two protagonists, running around beating up wannabe tough guys. And by beating, I mean completely destroying them. :D

Requires a controller though.

·
Premium Member
9,832 Posts
@Soulpatch

First off, thank you for your service! I hope you've got and continue to get the services you need from the VA or other covered coverage for your injuries and in general.

Secondly.... in regards to dating yourself... :p please tell me you played: Duke Nukem, ROTT, DF/DF2, etc etc... memories? And even before that if you're 90's ex military... Commander Keen? :p

Thirdly.... If you like would like, and I will 100% stay committed if YOU DO - let's go hound Ubisoft to remake the original and second SPLINTER CELL! Those were some of my favorites due to the stealth mechanics involved. The latter games were OK like the 2010/2013 releases (Conviction/Blacklist) but IMHO didn't garner much in the way of actually improving storyline/gameplay - went more 'shooter' than stealth.

You in?! :p

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@Soulpatch

First off, thank you for your service! I hope you've got and continue to get the services you need from the VA or other covered coverage for your injuries and in general.

Secondly.... in regards to dating yourself... :p please tell me you played: Duke Nukem, ROTT, DF/DF2, etc etc... memories? And even before that if you're 90's ex military... Commander Keen? :p

Thirdly.... If you like would like, and I will 100% stay committed if YOU DO - let's go hound Ubisoft to remake the original and second SPLINTER CELL! Those were some of my favorites due to the stealth mechanics involved. The latter games were OK like the 2010/2013 releases (Conviction/Blacklist) but IMHO didn't garner much in the way of actually improving storyline/gameplay - went more 'shooter' than stealth.

You in?! :p
Unlreal tournament, doom(s), quake, duke nuke'em, mechwarrior (mercenaries, etc) ...yep, played all of them lol or at least in limited capacities (after military...some good drugs), etc. Remember windows 3.1? ROFL Didn't play Rise of the triad or DF(2). We were doing "lan" parties BEFORE anybody had ever heard of them. Packing our gear up and had tables setup in my buddies basement. There we'd set our custom/modded boxes up and game for an entire weekend. Have plenty of fond memories taking heads off with the some of the unreal tournament weapons (like the blade shooter lol) and games like capture the flag, hold territories, etc. Damn, you got me thinking WAAAAAAYYYY back lol Hell, my buddy had all the leisure suit larry's, remember those??? LOL We used to have a mechwarrior team we competed online with. Even have a model of the mech I piloted. But that was long before everything was sanctioned and people started making huge coin. Looking back on it now, if I had taken ownership of the modding (clear windowed cases, carved/etched glass, cold cathode ray lighting, etc.) and the first liquid cooling blocks we custom machined...hell, I'd be rich now. I was modding cases for people from across the united states and even a few who sent them from canada. Back when cases were those solid skinned yellow/tan trash can looking boxes. Used to cut, mod, paint, light, etc. And if you really fronted the money, I'd custom machine waterblocks for the cpu's. Ran the first designs with motorcycle radiators and pumps lol
If they could take some of those old games and re-vamp them to play it'd definitely rock. I do miss those gaming weekends where we didn't see daylight for 48 hours lol

Used to play paintball on a semi-pro team and I'd be willing to bet there are still a couple of my custom built markers out there. Custom machined an impulse that was laser engraved with my call sign and we were sponsored by a barrel company. One of my Angels is likely still out there as well. Once I took the chips out and did a little "tweaking" I could outfire the capacity of the automatic hoppers to keep up lol Remember taking out my impulse at a tournament and went to tune it in at the range. Some guy laughed at me, until i emptied an entire 250rnd hopper in less than 10 seconds. After that I racked up record kills on that course (everyone was scared of me LOL). Blew my knee out and sold all of my equipment to a player out of hawaii. Don't know if he ever used it or not...but if you see any pics of a black impulse with "dragonfly" etched on the side...that was mine lol Used to do quite a few custom markers/parts for guys I'd meet at tournaments.

·
Premium Member
9,832 Posts
Oh man OH MAN... I never got into paint balling and I never got too far into modding anything as I was constantly working at a young age and playing games/partying otherwise.

But LAN parties? Oh yeah. You BET. I def remember Win 3.1, I'm an 80's kid so I think I'm a little younger than you but not by much. Our LAN parties centered around Unreal Tournament, QUAKE, and then of course CS as we were lucky enough to be beta kids with it. In FACT - I grew up in So Cal and there was this arcade owned by a prominent Korean businessman. His kid was a friend of ours and that's where the beta CS came in - that kid (Daniel, you if you ever read this, WTH happened to [email protected]?!?!) setup a 4-PC LAN at the back of the arcade JUST to PWN pub servers with him and 3 buddies. We got to play for free cause it wasn't popular with most kids who wanted to play Teken/SF/Primal Rage etc... so we spent a lot of time there. He rented out gameplay for beta CS (6.9) at like 5 bucks an hour. And then... not long before the beta went 1.0 release........... that kid (Daniel) and his family sold their business, the arced turned into a salon and POOF... disappeared.

So we of course began setting up our LAN parties not soon after at a buddies house that had the space for us. And yup, long bouts... often days without leaving/doing much. We'd do dumb **** like invite lots of people over on Tuesday runs and order 300's tacos from Del Taco cause it was close by.. They hated us. But we ATE like KINGS! for CHEAP on those taco tuesdays! LOL

Man oh MAN........ good times. Fond, fond memories. One of my good buddies and I also used to play these german kids on dial-up for DN & Quake... until our parents saw the phone bills and cut that **** short REAL fast... lol.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,535 Posts
Star Wars: Battlefront 2, in 3rd person mode. Short but looks gorgeous and plays well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh man OH MAN... I never got into paint balling and I never got too far into modding anything as I was constantly working at a young age and playing games/partying otherwise.

But LAN parties? Oh yeah. You BET. I def remember Win 3.1, I'm an 80's kid so I think I'm a little younger than you but not by much. Our LAN parties centered around Unreal Tournament, QUAKE, and then of course CS as we were lucky enough to be beta kids with it. In FACT - I grew up in So Cal and there was this arcade owned by a prominent Korean businessman. His kid was a friend of ours and that's where the beta CS came in - that kid (Daniel, you if you ever read this, WTH happened to [email protected]?!?!) setup a 4-PC LAN at the back of the arcade JUST to PWN pub servers with him and 3 buddies. We got to play for free cause it wasn't popular with most kids who wanted to play Teken/SF/Primal Rage etc... so we spent a lot of time there. He rented out gameplay for beta CS (6.9) at like 5 bucks an hour. And then... not long before the beta went 1.0 release........... that kid (Daniel) and his family sold their business, the arced turned into a salon and POOF... disappeared.

So we of course began setting up our LAN parties not soon after at a buddies house that had the space for us. And yup, long bouts... often days without leaving/doing much. We'd do dumb **** like invite lots of people over on Tuesday runs and order 300's tacos from Del Taco cause it was close by.. They hated us. But we ATE like KINGS! for CHEAP on those taco tuesdays! LOL

Man oh MAN........ good times. Fond, fond memories. One of my good buddies and I also used to play these german kids on dial-up for DN & Quake... until our parents saw the phone bills and cut that **** short REAL fast... lol.

LOL dial up, haven't heard those words in a long time. Still can hear that sound coming from my 14.4 baud modem LOL Gives me memories and creeped out chills at the same time. You knew if anybody picked up the phone while you were online it would totally crash. Ya, after the military I was a master prototype fabricator working for an prototype engineering company while I went to school at night. So I could machine parts, cut/weld (had all my certs for mig/tig) and wire electronics. So I'd put in a full day at work, had a gap between work/school so I'd mod pc's at the shop for fun. Got so popular on the (wait for it...) BBS boards that people were contacting me to do theirs. But ya, cut my teeth on those same games...I remember when the first quake came out. We spent an entire weekend playing non stop in my buddy's basement. There were 6 of us all linked together on the lan. Was insane! I figure we're going to be the first generation in the nursing home that'll demand custom built pc's and game consoles LOL
That's funny, I was stationed in san diego out of the naval sub base there. Miss surfing and the beaches big time. Which was a far cry from growing up in michigan skiing and playing hockey lol I forgot to ask, what games do you play? I just built my first liquid cooled system in 25+ years. Aside from the wait on the new 3080's it's majorly cranked. Even picked up a 34" ultra wide monitor @ 144hz. That's why I was asking about all the 3rd person games. Finally get some actually time to do something more than an hour here and there. Which I'm grateful that everybody has dropped their choices off on me. Given me quite a few new titles to pick up and rock through!

Keep the titles coming people! I'm loving the responses since this'll give me plenty to enjoy for quite awhile. I've already ordered a couple of them and set aside a couple for my son to gift me on my birthday coming up LOL

·
Graphics Junkie
2,837 Posts
If you like the division 2 I suggest you try Ghost Recon Wildlands and or Breakpoint. They're basically the same game but most people think Wildlands is better. To compare to the division, its similar but much more open world, not a looter shooter at all. Enemies are not spongey at all, they go down as they should but the game is still rewardingly challenging.

The Truth About Ghost Recon Wildlands - An Underrated Game Review - YouTube

·
Premium Member
9,832 Posts
Which was a far cry from growing up in michigan skiing and playing hockey lol I forgot to ask, what games do you play?
You're gonna hate me but KINGS BABY.... GO LA. Was lucky enough to meet Gretzky and Rudy as a kid (whole team actually). Dad's buddy is the grandson of the Great Eddie G - last goalie to play without a facemask - he was our connect back then.

Games - sure as **** I'm a COD junkie (Warzone) but I do love me some Division 2 which I haven't dived to far into since my RX480 could not hack it beyond 44FPS. Now that I've got a 6800XT - its GAME TIME. I'll PM you - we'll play!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts