Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Motherboard any good?<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=247111" target="_blank">http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=247111</a>

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
It's a decent board (hey, it's an ASUS).<br><br>
But, don't expect stellar overclocking, since the nVidia chipsets still don't play nice on the Intel platform.<br><br>
Personally, I'd get either of those two boards:
<ul><li><a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127011" target="_blank">ABIT AW9D-MAX Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X</a> $239.99</li>
<li><a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131025" target="_blank">ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X</a> $259.99</li>
</ul><br>
Both run Crossfire (x8, x8 mode) out of the box, and can run SLI with modded drivers.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
looks like the best of the best to me, for SLI at least.<br>
its out of stock there though.<br><br>
personally, id get something thats a bit cheaper... maybe a gigabyte, those seem to have a VERY good reputation when it comes to Core 2 Duo boards... still have yet to get mine up and running though - it was the rosewill psu that was DOA lol

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
I agree with Chozart......even if you don't care about high overclocks, why pay more money for a board when lower cost boards can do the same thing, and are technically better.<br><br>
The nForce will seriously hamper any overclocks, and the only reason to get one (to run SLI) is a moot point since the 975X chipset supports SLI with modded drivers. Several people on here are running SLI on the 975X chipset, I would not recomend that board personally.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would agree with both Thumper and Chozart...Since you can run SLI on the 975X with modded drivers, I would go this way...It is also FACT that SLI will be supported on the 975X platform in the VERY NEAR FUTURE......So I vote for a 975X board.<br />
<br />
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Currently, there are video cards on the market that make SLI pretty much obsolete unless you are running some insane resolution or multiple monitors. I own a NV4 SLI board and I do NOT recommend anyone else waste their money the way I did.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>FrankenPC</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Currently, there are video cards on the market that make SLI pretty much obsolete unless you are running some insane resolution or multiple monitors. I own a NV4 SLI board and I do NOT recommend anyone else waste their money the way I did.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div><br />
This is what I have said also for a long time. I see too many people running 17" or 19" CRTs with SLI or Crossfire. Sure, the benchmarks are awesome, but what is the benifit for all that money in the real world? Unless you have a 23"+ minimum monitor, the gain is minimal if at all. I plan to see the performance I get with my single X1900XTX and my 42" LCD tonight by trying the BF2142 demo.....I may need Crossfire eventually....but, again, 42" LCD.....

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
Thumper: what's the resolution on that bad boy? Generally, TVs don't have that high a resolution (as opposed to monitors). I am running 1600x1200, and even that is admittedly a little bit low of a resolution for Crossfire (but hey, the coolness factor... LOL)

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks, I don't plan on getting anything until the X6900 comes out, maby by then there will be better motherboards.<br><br>
What kind of OCing will it do?<br><br>
The 975X chipset supports SLI with modded drivers, 16x16 or 8x8?<br>
Probley only 8x8 right.<br>
That's one reason I didn't get a Conroe another I am a AMD fan but if a good<br>
board comes out soon I'll try a X6900.<br>
I think they are making a Asus CrossHair for Intel hopefully that comes out soon.

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
x8, x8<br><br>
The board to wait for currently is the DFI board with the ATI RD600 chipset, which will run at x16, x16

1 - 10 of 10 Posts