Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I finally got off of my my but and bought the parts to my system. I am a noob so any tips or advice would be great (do have a decent understanding of how everything works, however).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.61 (highest temp running P95 is around 66C)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
OCZ Gold 4x2GB DDR2 800 @ 850 5-5-5-15
Antec Signature SG850 Power Supply
Zalman CNPS9500 w/ Arctic Silver 5
XFX GeForce GTX285
WD 300GB VelociRaptor
2x WD 1TB Caviar Black
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Coolermaster HAF
Windows Vista 64bit

I was surprised at how easily everything went together. Putting the CPU fan on was the worst part, I thought I was going to break it for sure. Pushed the power button and tadda, everything was good to go on the first try. I was hoping to get some suggestions on my overclocking and get input as to how high I'll be able to take it based on what I have so far. I was hoping for 3.8GHz which would put my ram at 890MHz. Which brings me to: what is the highest this ram should go?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by millenclutch
View Post

Alright, I finally got off of my my but and bought the parts to my system. I am a noob so any tips or advice would be great (do have a decent understanding of how everything works, however).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.61 (highest temp running P95 is around 66C)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
OCZ Gold 4x2GB DDR2 800 @ 850 5-5-5-15
Antec Signature SG850 Power Supply
Zalman CNPS9500 w/ Arctic Silver 5
XFX GeForce GTX285
WD 300GB VelociRaptor
2x WD 1TB Caviar Black
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Coolermaster HAF
Windows Vista 64bit

I was surprised at how easily everything went together. Putting the CPU fan on was the worst part, I thought I was going to break it for sure. Pushed the power button and tadda, everything was good to go on the first try. I was hoping to get some suggestions on my overclocking and get input as to how high I'll be able to take it based on what I have so far. I was hoping for 3.8GHz which would put my ram at 890MHz. Which brings me to: what is the highest this ram should go?

Thanks guys.

That ram should be able to do 890 with 2.1v and loose timings.

My advice is to invest in a better CPU cooler, as your temps are going to be holding you back from going much farther. I have the same Zalman on one of my rigs and it is a poor performer. The 3 best options out right now are the TRUE, the Noctua NH-U12P and the Xigmatek S1283, in my opinion. Good work!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That ram will probably do around 900 MHZ with loose timings. Though I'd keep it at a 1:1 ratio while overclocking. I think 3.8 should be easily achievable with that board, cause its one of the best out there to overclock quads. Just keep pushing that FSB up, and when it wont boot, give it some more vcore. Best of luck with it and very nice build you got there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

That ram should be able to do 890 with 2.1v and loose timings.

My advice is to invest in a better CPU cooler, as your temps are going to be holding you back from going much farther. I have the same Zalman on one of my rigs and it is a poor performer. The 3 best options out right now are the TRUE, the Noctua NH-U12P and the Xigmatek S1283, in my opinion. Good work!

Hey thanks! What would you recomend for the timings on my ram?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by millenclutch
View Post

Hey thanks! What would you recomend for the timings on my ram?

You should be able to do 4-4-4-12 1T easy. What will your FSB be once your Q9550 is at 3800MHz?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockNRolla
View Post

Those temps for Prime95 are not very good. I recomend lapping at least the processor.

In full load, when the temperature are high, I would recommend to keep it under 70C to be on the safe side. When prime95 is running (using the whole processor and ram), 66C is not that much with a overclock. Otherwise, if you have 66C as a processor's temperature without any overclocking, I would be worried. I bet that you will get your ram easily over 850MHz, probably more voltages just needed to get there.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Millen I think your temps for 3.6 are awfully high.

I would suggest investing in a new cooler for your cpu.

What vcore are you using for 3.6GHz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockNRolla
View Post

You should be able to do 4-4-4-12 1T easy. What will your FSB be once your Q9550 is at 3800MHz?

At 3.8 the FSB will be 448 with an 8.5 multiplier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

Millen I think your temps for 3.6 are awfully high.

I would suggest investing in a new cooler for your cpu.

What vcore are you using for 3.6GHz

The vcore is stock still. Haven't touched that at all. Also I'm using Speedfan to monitory the temps. Is this an accurate app?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by millenclutch View Post
The vcore is stock still. Haven't touched that at all. Also I'm using Speedfan to monitory the temps. Is this an accurate app?
I wouldn't trust that program at all, I mean, it's good for controlling fans. Try coretemp, should be very good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biatch View Post
I wouldn't trust that program at all, I mean, it's good for controlling fans. Try coretemp, should be very good.
Do you know if speedfan shows the temps as higher or lower?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by millenclutch View Post
Not really (in my experience). Use CoreTemp. I would run the memory at 896MHz with 4-4-4-12 1T timings. You should be able to do this with ~2v

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockNRolla View Post
Both. Its just wrong.
Speedfan usually doesn't show right temperatures for all processors, it's kind of personal. I use realtemp for 45nm and coretemp should work fine for others. I can't say for sure, but I think speedfan is showing your temperatures as higher than they are.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Also, I know everybody keeps mentioning getting a "better cooler" but what about the possibility of a bad seating or AS5 spread? Maybe try a re-do on that if the temps are still too high after checking with CoreTemp to get more accurate numbers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
Also, I know everybody keeps mentioning getting a "better cooler" but what about the possibility of a bad seating or AS5 spread? Maybe try a re-do on that if the temps are still too high after checking with CoreTemp to get more accurate numbers.
That is a very strong possibility. I did move it around quite a bit when mounting the cooler. I was hoping to exaust all other possibilities before dealing with that again. I could try to tighten it a little more.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
Your cooler might not be mounted perfectly, but still, it's pretty common knowledge than Zalman air coolers (even the new 9900) cannot handle overclocked quads. Rifle-style coolers like the TRUE, Noctua, Xiggy S1382, OCZ Vendetta 2, etc., perform much better, especially with an upgraded fan.

The fact that you are seeing load temps of 66 degrees at 3.6GHz confirms this. 66 degrees is perfectly safe, but most overclocked Q9550s you'll find on OCN run in the 45-60 degree range at load and most are clocked higher than yours (3.8-4.2GHz seem common on these chips, depending on stepping).

Use RealTemp for 45nm CPUs (or make sure the TJ Max in CoreTemp is properly calibrated). Speedfan is too old to consider, IMO.

Can you post a CPU-z screenie of your chip? Is it an E0 or a C1 stepping?

EDIT: Also keep in mind that if you have left BIOS setting on 'Auto' they will change as you adjust other settings. 'Auto' does not mean 'default', 'auto' means the BIOS automatically adjusts the setting based on other BIOS settings. So, even though you haven't upped the vCore manually, the system may have done it for you. All the more reason for some CPU-z or HWMonitor screenshots!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll put that up when I get home from work. Is the vcore the same as the voltage on the first page of CPU-z.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts