Overclock.net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
Also, I know everybody keeps mentioning getting a "better cooler" but what about the possibility of a bad seating or AS5 spread? Maybe try a re-do on that if the temps are still too high after checking with CoreTemp to get more accurate numbers.
Your cooler might not be mounted perfectly, but still, it's pretty common knowledge than Zalman air coolers (even the new 9900) cannot handle overclocked quads. Rifle-style coolers like the TRUE, Noctua, Xiggy S1382, OCZ Vendetta 2, etc., perform much better, especially with an upgraded fan.

The fact that you are seeing load temps of 66 degrees at 3.6GHz confirms this. 66 degrees is perfectly safe, but most overclocked Q9550s you'll find on OCN run in the 45-60 degree range at load and most are clocked higher than yours (3.8-4.2GHz seem common on these chips, depending on stepping).

Use RealTemp for 45nm CPUs (or make sure the TJ Max in CoreTemp is properly calibrated). Speedfan is too old to consider, IMO.

Can you post a CPU-z screenie of your chip? Is it an E0 or a C1 stepping?

EDIT: Also keep in mind that if you have left BIOS setting on 'Auto' they will change as you adjust other settings. 'Auto' does not mean 'default', 'auto' means the BIOS automatically adjusts the setting based on other BIOS settings. So, even though you haven't upped the vCore manually, the system may have done it for you. All the more reason for some CPU-z or HWMonitor screenshots!

· Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by millenclutch View Post
I'll put that up when I get home from work. Is the vcore the same as the voltage on the first page of CPU-z.
Yep, vCore, CPU voltage, CPUv, etc., are all interchangeable terms for the same value.

Intel's thermal spec for the Q9550 is 71.4°C. It won't do your chip any harm to run it up to 80°C during stress test as the chip will never get that hot except during tests.

For peace-of-mind though, try to keep temps below 70 degrees, which should be easy to do with a good cooler that's up to the task...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.