Overclock.net banner

This guy's first build and overclock!

1303 28
Alright, I finally got off of my my but and bought the parts to my system. I am a noob so any tips or advice would be great (do have a decent understanding of how everything works, however).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.61 (highest temp running P95 is around 66C)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
OCZ Gold 4x2GB DDR2 800 @ 850 5-5-5-15
Antec Signature SG850 Power Supply
Zalman CNPS9500 w/ Arctic Silver 5
XFX GeForce GTX285
WD 300GB VelociRaptor
2x WD 1TB Caviar Black
Creative X-Fi Titanium
Coolermaster HAF
Windows Vista 64bit

I was surprised at how easily everything went together. Putting the CPU fan on was the worst part, I thought I was going to break it for sure. Pushed the power button and tadda, everything was good to go on the first try. I was hoping to get some suggestions on my overclocking and get input as to how high I'll be able to take it based on what I have so far. I was hoping for 3.8GHz which would put my ram at 890MHz. Which brings me to: what is the highest this ram should go?

Thanks guys.
  • Rep+
Reactions: Izvire
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

That ram should be able to do 890 with 2.1v and loose timings.

My advice is to invest in a better CPU cooler, as your temps are going to be holding you back from going much farther. I have the same Zalman on one of my rigs and it is a poor performer. The 3 best options out right now are the TRUE, the Noctua NH-U12P and the Xigmatek S1283, in my opinion. Good work!

Hey thanks! What would you recomend for the timings on my ram?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockNRolla
View Post

You should be able to do 4-4-4-12 1T easy. What will your FSB be once your Q9550 is at 3800MHz?

At 3.8 the FSB will be 448 with an 8.5 multiplier.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

Millen I think your temps for 3.6 are awfully high.

I would suggest investing in a new cooler for your cpu.

What vcore are you using for 3.6GHz

The vcore is stock still. Haven't touched that at all. Also I'm using Speedfan to monitory the temps. Is this an accurate app?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biatch View Post
I wouldn't trust that program at all, I mean, it's good for controlling fans. Try coretemp, should be very good.
Do you know if speedfan shows the temps as higher or lower?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post
Also, I know everybody keeps mentioning getting a "better cooler" but what about the possibility of a bad seating or AS5 spread? Maybe try a re-do on that if the temps are still too high after checking with CoreTemp to get more accurate numbers.
That is a very strong possibility. I did move it around quite a bit when mounting the cooler. I was hoping to exaust all other possibilities before dealing with that again. I could try to tighten it a little more.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have a question on calibrating realtemp. My ambient temperature is 21C and the chart says for my fan the cpu should be 8-9C over that at idle with the overclocking turned off. Does that mean I need to calibrate the temps to be about 30C at idle? If that's the case I'm now getting 62-59-60-60 for my max in P95.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.