Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in half life 2 episode 2 if i turn AA off i struggle for 60 fps but with AA i get nearly 200 fps i am pretty sure thats a CPU bottleneck am i right? (I'm getting X3 710 in 2 days)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Well, AA taxes the GPU not the CPU, and when it's on its suposte to lower FPS not raise it.. More like a bug to me, and your fps is completely fine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
No thats not a cpu bottleneck, thats prob. a driver problem, if the cpu was bottlenecking the card, once you turn on AA you would see no fps decrease...

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilmaypoop
View Post

Well, AA taxes the GPU not the CPU, and when it's on its suposte to lower FPS not raise it..

ahaha i knew it i monitor GPU usage without AA the gGPU usage on both GPU's is barely over 20% but with 16XQAA its between 46-68% and framerate is high. so i'm guessing an X3 710 at 3GHz or more will eliminate the bottleneck

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HA3AP
View Post

No thats not a cpu bottleneck, thats prob. a driver problem, if the cpu was bottlenecking the card, once you turn on AA you would see no fps decrease...

so a new CPU wont fix that at all?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66;11980097
so a new CPU wont fix that at all?
I highly doubt that it will, ps: when you turn off AA make sure you have v-sync disabled, since it will lock your fps at 60

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HA3AP;11980111
I highly doubt that it will, ps: when you turn off AA make sure you have v-sync disabled, since it will lock your fps at 60
i never have V-sync enabled if it isn't a bottleneck then why is it doing this? with SLI disabled the card goes to 99% on the secondary GPU

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
Thats what happens when you use a dual GPU single card and a low resolution display.

Not enough load on the GPU's to give anything resembling decent scaling.....

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

i never have V-sync enabled if it isn't a bottleneck then why is it doing this? with SLI disabled the card goes to 99% on the secondary GPU

I used to own a 9800 GX2 and had tonnes of driver problems, ie: GRID would run at 3fps until I disabled sli etc. Therefore I am still leaning towards a driver problem, to answer your question once again based on your description of the problem, it isn't CPU bottle necking...

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so how do i fix it?

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brl3git;11980196
AA stresses the gpu,but if you think its a bottleneck try oc your cpu and check for any difference.
i cant wont post any higher than 2.82 but it is faster at 2.82 than 2.4 almost twice as fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HA3AP;11980167
I used to own a 9800 GX2 and had tonnes of driver problems, ie: GRID would run at 3fps until I disabled sli etc. Therefore I am still leaning towards a driver problem, to answer your question once again based on your description of the problem, it isn't CPU bottle necking...
so its a driver bug?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66;11980199
so how do i fix it?
I dont see why you would want to fix it, since with AA enabled you get 200fps, which means better graphics and performance, thats a win in my book...

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HA3AP;11980213
I dont see why you would want to fix it, since with AA enabled you get 200fps, which means better graphics and performance, thats a win in my book...
because in BC gpu usage is never higher than 50%

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brl3git
View Post

Im thinking it may be some kind of bug because if you never get more than 50% usage in bc (a more stressful game to run) and your getting 99% in half life 2 that just doesnt make sense to me.

i agree, when i got my card the PCIE chip on the card wasn't making contact with the cooler and the previous owner ran it like that for weeks could that have damaged the card forever? oh and i it was flickering badly in games until i put thermal pad on it then flickering stopped

the thing i am talking about is the circled thing

·
Registered
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66;11980284
i agree, when i got my card the PCIE chip on the card wasn't making contact with the cooler and the previous owner ran it like that for weeks could that have damaged the card forever? oh and i it was flickering badly in games until i put thermal pad on it then flickering stopped
Hmm if it wasnt making contact that would deff be an issue,but if you reattached it and you get good performance on different games I think you'll be fine. It is a little odd that this happens in half life though.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brl3git
View Post

Hmm if it wasnt making contact that would deff be an issue,but if you reattached it and you get good performance on different games I think you'll be fine. It is a little odd that this happens in half life though.

so you dont think it is damaged?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts