Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone, Tisser here, and this is my "build" / "I have a lot to learn and you guys should know which direction to point me in" thread. Haha. If you came here to bash, go for it, I'm proud of my rig, and it cost me less than $300 to build and I'm super proud of that too.

This is my first build, and the first time I've ever really messed with the actual hardware of a computer or electronics at all, really. I learned how to solder, which was pretty cool I always wanted to do that. But I really just always wanted to build a computer. I was super stoked to finally be able to do it, but I've got a bunch of questions though, because I'm fairly new to all this, and I hadn't really gotten to work on anything newer than 2009 till recently. But no worries, I'm a quick learner.
thumb.gif
I'd also like to think I'm not a total idiot either haha. I'm always up to learn new stuff, especially about tech.

So here she is.

Meet Project F.A.I.T.H.

Build #: 000 (Alpha Build)
Build Date: 11/11/2015

CPU: AMD A10-6800k
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 with unlocked shaders
MOBO: Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 FM2+ socket
PSU: Silverstone ST50F-ES 500W 80 PLUS Certified (Bronze)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 (F312800CL9-4GBXL)
Case: DIYPC Zetta-Bk USB 3.0 Mid tower ATX
Storage: (2 X 500GB 16MB) WDC WD500A AKS-65A7B0 (Yeah, I know they need upgraded)
Cooling: 2X120 mm blue LED stock case fans 2X Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. white LED fans Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (push only at this point)
Optical: LG super multi drive with lightscribe (I was big into that back in '09 I loved it)
Display: Sanyo 32" 720p LCD connected via DVID --> VGA connection running at 1360X768 resolution...
worriedsmiley.gif
I plan on getting something 1080 for sure, hoping to get something like a 38-42" LED.
Input Devices: *sigh* Logitech K120 wally world special keyboard and a Logitech M325 wireless mouse.
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Tweaked, customized, and too legit to quit.
doh.gif

- I also have a Covert Forces XB1 controller with custom aluminum thumbsticks and a Spartan Locke Limited Edition Halo 5 XB1 controller. (yeah I know, big deal) I'd like to get a Master Chief controller and a Lunar White controller as well. I'd rather game with a controller most of the time, sue me. (but really don't please, I'm very broke)
Yet another hobby of mine that I can't afford: Collecting video game stuff/modding controllers

PICTURE TIME

Original build / Current build (as of this post)

"Cable management"

UV 5050 LED strip wired into a controller that can adjust the brightness and a few dynamic modes via remote. / UV reactive SATA III power/data cables

*Warning: the large daunting block of text below this point is a story. It's about me, it's about technology, it's not really about computers for a good bit so skip it if you want to. No ones forcing you to read it. But if you do, prepare to have your mind blown. You have been warned.
Your regularly scheduled Overclock.net programming will return momentarily. Please stand by.

- This will be weird, and this will be all over the place
(TL;DR after second set of dashes)

I've been a techie since I was born, started playing on computers in 1994, I was four, if you're wondering, not bragging, just giving an 'ambiance' as you will. DOOM and Liesure Suit Larry were among the first computer games I had ever played, let alone video games. I eventually got to play my cousins SNES and loved that too. But I really enjoyed typing away at MS DOS to get the commands correct to load the floppy disk I had just popped into the front (I really loved that feeling).

I really got to see technology evolve right in front of my eyes growing up in the 90's. It was the most amazing thing. I watched cell phones shrink and then grow again, cars got sharper and then rounder (and a lot faster and safer too); every day objects started becoming "smart". Fantasies became realities. That kind of thing. I love it. But the most amazing thing to me is how prior to my lifetime, technology evolved yes, but most people had to wait almost a lifetime to see that evolution. I was always a 'dreamer' if you will and always believed that "those really cool things you saw in that movie" would exist, so it really was awesome to see that actually happen too.

I always used to tear my toys apart to see how they worked, I never took anything at face value. Most of the time I was able to get them put back together. Most of the time... Especially if something broke, I'd tear that puppy right down to the guts and see if I could fix it. And throughout the years I saw the circuit boards shrink, the screens get sharper, the pixels smaller, the colors brighter. "Back in my day" I didn't have a backlight on my gameboy, but in a few years I had a new one with a light, and sharper pictures and cooler looking games. Better sounding music. 8-bit became 16-bit became 32-bit and so on. I quickly lost the ability to take things apart as easily, or repair them, let alone even know what I was looking at any more.

Here we are today with 4K and 3D, holograms, touch screens, wearable computers. Most of you won't really care, or have probably already stopped reading this post. But this is an amazing thing to me, I have a wireless phone that has a touchscreen, 16MP camera, HD resolution, and more processing power and RAM then was on the first shuttle they sent into space. And it fits in my pocket. I use it to get into fights on the internet and look at pictures of cats.

NO I'M NOT A TIME TRAVELLER..
whistle.gif
But it's amazing to me because I grew up with a phone attatched to the wall and the only thing that was "wireless" was the TV remote. "Cell phones" were the size of a bible (being lenient on the size too) and had a single line screen on them if you were lucky. It might have showed you the number you were dialing or was calling you. And I got to see all of that stuff evolve to what it is today, in very few years. Most things were updated or upgraded two or three times in a single year. To put that into perspective, the telephone was invented in 1876. That's 140 years ago. And the general idea of the telephone remained pretty much unchanged until around the 1960s. Thats almost 85 years before you were able to just call someones number from your own phone. And it took until 1973 until there was any sort of "cell phone", 1989 until you could fit it in your pocket, 1996 until they became "smart" and had any sort of color other than green on the screen, 1999 till there was any sort of internet connection, GPS, MP3, and T9 Texting (OH BOY)
drool.gif
2002 for cameras and color and LCD screens, and 2007 was when the Iphone stole a bunch of things from people and claimed to be the first.. Oh, sorry. And look at the phones we have now. Some of them are faster and more feature packed than some full-fledged laptops.

But that all took a lifetime to happen.

I show up right at the end of 1990 (October 1), and technology advanced at an increasingly faster pace each year and from 2007 until now, 9 years, around 1/10 of my total lifetime, I saw MOST of that evolution of current technology occur. I saw more tech advancement in a single decade than someone born in 1900 that lived to be 100 years old would have seen in their entire lives. Think about that for a minute
eek.gif

Compress that timeline down into a single-12 month year. "Technology" really didn't change until the beginning of DECEMBER.* Not very rapidly at least. So if you're impatient and a technology geek like me, it's a good time to be alive.

*(I understand it DEFINITELY changed but you know what I'm getting at)

I'm just saying a lot of people take advantage of what we have today, I'm glad I respect the current tech we have, I respect it because I used a lot of the tech it came from. I actually had dial up internet until I was 18. To those of you that don't know, that was brutal. It took about 10 minutes of your computer screeching at you to connect and a lot longer to load anything else. And then right when it was about to load your mom would yell at you because she needed to use the phone. (Dial up used the phone line) But at least I had internet!
I think Road Rash was the first game I had ever played online with someone and not sitting right next to them. That totally blew my mind..

And now people complain when their connection drops below 3 bars on an Xbox live game lol.

TL;DR Tech has advanced crazy fast over my lifetime, and come a long way in general. My PC may not be the BEST thing ever, but I've used a LOT of slower stuff so this is a godly machine to me. I understand it could be upgraded, and it will be at some point. I'm a very DIY oriented person and I love taking things apart, learning how things work, and building/fixing things myself. I also really like to customize anything and almost everything I own.

SO I decided to join a forum because I love the community and since there aren't a lot of people in my area that are really into this kind of stuff (I live in the middle of nowhwere), I need people that know what they're doing to guide me, and it helps to be able to conversate about current tech with people that know what I'm talking about. Not to mention you guys and gals usually have the best advice, or know where to find it, and you'll tell me how stupid I'm being if I get a little ridiculous (I will) or at the very least root me on till something blows up haha

My first "personal" computer that was my own and not shared was probably a handmedown compaqe, but the first computer I bought myself that was remotely any good was my HP Elite M9417. I think I payed $400 for it on ebay with an upgraded processor. That thing was awesome in '09 when I bought it.
The card reader was probably my favorite thing

Oddly enough that computer had an inverse/reverse-atx case. So believe me when I say I was VERY confused when I started looking for cases for my new build and I couldn't find one with a right-sided window. I guess that's considered "top of the line" or whatever now a days? I'm pretty out of the loop I guess. I suppose I just figured they'd make cases with windows on either side. I mean I wasn't wrong, but I wasn't right either haha. Neither were the windows
yessir.gif

R.I.P. HP Elite. You served me well and I most certainly made you run.

I ended up going through 2 PSU's with that computer and 3 different case fans (it only had one.... oh how little I knew) It lasted me through my 2 years of graphic design classes in college running the adobe suite and then up until about the end of 2014 (I had it 5 years) And it finally died when the one chipset decided to get a tan.

As terrible as that was, it prompted my first ever build and led me to what I have now, which is a MUCH better computer and a TON more knowledge, plus a few new skills too.
thumb.gif

As much as I love my computer I'm a terrible owner. I do everything you shouldn't do around your PC. I eat at it, have open drinks right by it, pets in the room, and smoke right next to it.
puke.gif

Given this is all at least 3-5 feet away from the PC itself it's still not good. I figured I should be honest with you guys. But I open it up at least once a week and dust it out with air duster, and microfiber the window (while it's off the case, fyi) and wipe down the outside with a lint-free cloth to get any dust off of it there. I did finally get one of those anti-static wristbands, though. I should start using that...

As far as my future PC upgrades go

- I plan on upgrading my storage first, I've had my eye on a 7200rpm WD black or HGST 3TB SATA and either a 120 or a 240 GB SSD (possibly both) for my OS and games.
- Keeping my eyes out for an affordable upgrade to my current video card.
- I want to get at least a 750W PSU for my rig, I'm looking at a Corsair 750W modular, so I can get me some nice sleeved cables. Or make them. (I made my own "pin popper" for molex connectors to make cable-making easier) With a newer video card I won't really NEED to (my HD 6950 likes it's power) but I like to future-proof things when I can.
- I'd like to upgrade to 16GB of RAM - again looking at you, Corsair.
- Blu-Ray drive to replace the DVDRW Super multi drive 9000 o matic I currently have.
- Possibly an upgraded CPU, but that's not really something I'm dying to do. (at that point I may as well start saving and build a new rig and switch socket types, I don't really feel like FM2+ is going to stay around real long)
- Corsair may as well sponsor me, I want a K70RGB with MXSilent or brown to replace this "keyboard" I have now.
- Same with the mouse, I'd like one of the heavy-duty aluminum mice they have with the nice braided cable.

The above are long-term upgrades that won't probably happen unless I somehow end up with a bunch of extra money. Below are just mostly aestetic upgrades but since they're affordable ones they'll happen first/soon.

- I want to get some 5050 RGBW LED's with a sound-activated controller/remote thingy (I'm too cheap to buy the NXZT ones, despite how "cool" they are).
- I found some slim UV reactive fans that are actually part of an add-on GPU cooler that would fit on my CPU cooler (excuse the confusing wording) and give me back the room I'd need to add 2 more sticks of RAM to my motherboard if/when I decide to go to dual-dual channel.
- I have some UV reactive acrylic paint that dries clear and glows under UV light I'd like to get put into my current build.***
- I'd like to ditch the 2 stock case fans I still have, and possibly even the LED AF120's (just let the LED strips do the lighting) Replacing them with SP120's and non-LED AF120's.*
- If at all possible find a case-side that fits my rig with a larger window
- I'd like to hack out some of the giant cage that connects the HDD cage and 5.25" bays since it literally does me no good at all.
- Add dust-screens to the front and upper fans (CAN ANYONE FIND A 120X240MM DUST SCREEN ANYWHERE? AS IN A 2X120MM?? I CAN ONLY FIND A 2X240MM ONE AND IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS)
- A USB 3.0 hub would be nice
- Another USB 2.0 hub
- Leaning away from this one, but a PCIE wireless/bluetooth card is a possibility. (currently wired internet and a USB bluetooth dongle which both work just fine)
- And finally a permanent real-time system monitor.

I'm working on trying to get a 5-7" LCD/LED/touchscreen (depending on what I can find for my price range and requirements) to build into the lower part of my case window to display all my PC stats in real time, all the time (temps, clocks, time, date etc) while still being able to minimize that display and utilize the extra screen space for whatever. The latter may not happen but I would at least like a permanent, GOOD LOOKING AND CUSTOMIZABLE system monitor that's not my phone running an app.. I feel like I can get it done without too much fuss, but I also thought web design and coding would be fun.

This is probably one of my most-anticipated upgrades because it will allow me to see what's going on with my PC even during fullscreen games. Possibly even mess with clocks in-game (not likely). But in addition to being SUPER helpful I think it will look KILLER and also it'll help hide my "basement" where my PSU and HDD's are. I've seen it done on one or two case mods, but for the most part the only thing like this that exists are either simple dot-matrix LED screens or for the 5.25" bays, and since those are pointed away from where I'm sitting (due to positioning and "regular atx" style case) and covered with a door, pointless.

Some of the stuff I'm interested in but need help with is overclocking, both GPU and CPU, safe temps, safe clocks etc I've heard of people OCing RAM too?? (I have no clue about voltages and changing them scares the crap out of me so I'll probably avoid that)

OS settings/tweaks/upgrades (still sort of up in the air about upgrading to Windows 10)

Game settings/modding/tweaks

I wanted a computer that could run Fallout 4, and mine can, fairly well. And I'm sure with a few more tweaks and things I can get good smooth framerates and gameplay whilst still having a nice looking game.

Games I have for my PC:

Fallout NV
Fallout 4
Warframe
Planetside 2
NFS: Most Wanted
Roller Coaster Tycoon I, II, and III ( I would like to get RC world at some point as well, I love this series)
Shadow of Mordor *This was the first "new gen" game I got and played on my rig
smile.gif
Ran it fantastically.
Port Royale 3 (I used to play a game called Corsairs that I LOVED) maybe that's why I like Corsair stuff so much...
The Patrician IV
Doom 3 BFG Edition (includes all the classic DOOM titles also)
I also have a custom Hyperspin set up to play my 'retro' game system games without having to worry about breaking my old systems or carts.

I started off with mostly only playing FPS games, COD was my favorite franchise. I did rock a bunch of Guitar Hero and Crash Bandicoot on my PS2 though, Then I played Falout NV and fell in love. This led me to try out some other game types, who knew, I'm really good at Forza. I can't forget to bring up Dishonored, Assasains Creed, BioShock, Wolfenstein, Resident evil (the wii version of RE4 was absolutely fantastic) and of course Skyrim. But I always had a hard time REALLY liking games like skyrim, I never really got into Zelda either. It's not that I don't like them, they just don't hold my attention as well as other games have. I guess I just really like my FPS games. haha

I have my eye on some nice bluetooth controllers to add to my system too, the NES30 Pro and the FMC30 Pro by 8Bitdo. I think they're the nicest, well-rounded controllers I've ever seen (for retro gaming that is) and since they have thumbsticks and R2 L2 buttons as well they could even be used for current-gen system gaming if you wanted.

I have far too many hobbies, far too little time and even less money
lmaosmiley.gif

I'm also working on restoring a 1988 Volkswagen Rabbit Convertible (Cabriolet) currently, and working on my own mods and Graphic Design projects. And hate if you want but I just recently got into vaping (trying to quit smoking) and really got into the technical aspect of that too. Amateur photographer (not the pictures I posted on here, those were all quick cell phone shots for documentation) And as stated before I like to collect video game memorabilia/old systems and games.

Sorry for the SUPER long first post but I had a lot on my mind. Feel free to reply to any part of this, all of this, or none of this, any help and guidance would be awesome. I know I said a lot but I also left a lot out. And I'm sure most of what I left out was probably the most important stuff haha... Oh well I'll get there eventually.

I never said I wasn't crazy. Good morning/goodnight all. Thanks for tuning in.

*(I was really dissapointed to find out that the Riing fans are actually terrible)

*** Anyone have any warnings or advice about doing this? I'm not planning on spray painting my motherboard or anything crazy like that, but would it be safe for me to use acrylic paint on the motherboard? I:E is it conductive? It is water based. I just plan on hitting some tracers, logos, and a few capacitors. Maybe the outlying edge of some PCB's as well (kind of a tron-like look) But I don't know how safe it is to do so...

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Uhhhh so i MAY have been wrong about my drives being 5400rpm

According to my hardware detection software my drives are only 5400rpm, according to the model# theyre supposedly 7200rpm drives?? Ill have to invesigate further. I still need new drives regardless, I'd like to have one large drive instead of two smaller ones (or maybe two larger drives so i can make backups) and i want a ssd or two.

Pardon the interruption.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisser12 View Post

Uhhhh so i MAY have been wrong about my drives being 5400rpm

According to my hardware detection software my drives are only 5400rpm, according to the model# theyre supposedly 7200rpm drives?? Ill have to invesigate further. I still need new drives regardless, I'd like to have one large drive instead of two smaller ones (or maybe two larger drives so i can make backups) and i want a ssd or two.

Pardon the interruption.
Could be a silent update to the line. It is not unheard of for companies to not generate a new sku with minor changes. Although that is a pretty big one.

Aida64 identifies all of my drives without issue. What are you using to determine drive speed?

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, if you have enough storage among all of your drives, an SSD would feel so much better, everything from boot times, programs opening, level loading, frame hitching....its justs a must have in any system. The first thing I do when we get a new laptop around here is rip out the 5400 platter and throw in an SSD...I also wont build a PC without one now.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Could be a silent update to the line. It is not unheard of for companies to not generate a new sku with minor changes. Although that is a pretty big one.

Aida64 identifies all of my drives without issue. What are you using to determine drive speed?

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, if you have enough storage among all of your drives, an SSD would feel so much better, everything from boot times, programs opening, level loading, frame hitching....its justs a must have in any system. The first thing I do when we get a new laptop around here is rip out the 5400 platter and throw in an SSD...I also wont build a PC without one now.
HWInfo doesn't tell me my drive speeds for my internal drives, but it will tell me the speeds of my portable drives... It gives me a bunch of info I don't have a clue about too, but I'm gonna DL Aida64 (been meaning to) and check with that. There is no doubt I'll be getting an SSD at the very least, I'll probably get one of those before I get a new regular drive, because I'm not hurting for space at all (2x500 gb internal SATAIII drives, a usb 2.0 1tb portable and a usb 3.0 1tb portable that are always attatched)

Only issue with Aida I have is that it costs as much as one of my hardware upgrades will.
mad.gif
I'll get it figured out.. According to the "specs" of my old HP the drives came out of (I linked it above in that huge post, I think the link says "i liked the card reader the most") they're 7200rpm drives. But at the same time the guy I bought it from had done "upgrades" (so he says) to the system prior to me buying it so who knows... But they're 7 years old and had a good coating of cigarette smoke on them when I pulled them from my old system, so I'm not trying to keep them as my main drives forever.

STORAGE WILL MOST LIKELY BE THE FIRST THING I UPGRADE FROM THIS POINT I'LL SAY IT AGAIN. I AM GOING TO BUY A SSD OR TWO FOR MY OS AND GAMES. So everyone can stop worrying that I'm going to just be like "meh they're good enough" because I know better. haha.

Thanks for the replies and advice though it's very well appreciated!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Downloaded the trial of Aida64. Checked my drives.. Heres a screenshot of my main drive info.

Please excuse my misinformation about having 5400rpm drives. They're 7200rpm WD Blue Caviar drives. Really small cache and only SATA II I think. Still need upgraded, but we can all stop freaking out about their rpm's now.
biggrin.gif

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
Quote:

we can all stop freaking out about their rpm's now.
biggrin.gif
Being SATA2 instead of SATA3 doesn't matter for those drivers. The sustained internal speeds do not exceed SATA2 limits. You could always raid0 those two drives and essentially double the speed of the drives (there will still be overhead) at the cost of higher volatility. Just make sure you back-up important files regularly if you decide to RAID your drives.

You have also asked about overclocking. Overclocking an older, but still robust system like that can breath a bit of extra life into it. I have a Richland A4 that was not only fun to overclock, but proved to be an able little chip when overclocked.

CPU:
Are you currently running bone stock on the CPU? Since you just downloaded Aida, try running the stability test and record max CPU voltage and Temperature after 15 minutes or so. I think I spotted a Cooler Master 212 in that case, which is sufficient to get a decent overclock. Those chips have been known to hit 5.0 as a daily overclock with proper cooling. Here is a link to a guide from one of the worlds best and most respected overclockers http://overclocking.guide/amd-trinity-richland-kaveri-socket-fm2/ He was using a 5800k, but that really doesn't change a thing for you, as they behave the same way from the motherboards stance.

GPU:
This one is pretty simple. You need two pieces of software; something to change the clocks, and something to test stability. If you don't already have those, I would suggest MSI afterburner for clock control, and Unigine Valley for stability testing. Stay below 85C. Monitor temperatures constantly during the overclock process. First, max out the power target because we want to operate over 100% of stock power, and leaving this at 100% will throttle your speed if it uses more than stock power. Increase the core clock 10mhz and run your benchmark for 5-10 minutes. If it passes, jot down the clock speed and max temp on a piece of paper. Repeat until you either start to see strange artifacts and flashing, or your system locks/crashes, or your max temp goes over 85, as either means you too far. Go back to the last working number you wrote down and this time test for 30 minutes instead. If it passes, you are halfway done. You can repeat this whole process in the same fashion for the GPU memory clock. If you feel froggy and still are having issues with poor performance, you can add voltage and potentially open up more overclocking headroom. Just be aware that voltage equates to extra heat. Heat+Voltage=Degradation. the hotter and heavier, the quicker.

Get those two overclocked before you worry about overclocking RAM. There are gains to be had in RAM overclocking for sure, but it can get messier quicker with RAM overclocking, and the boost to your overall performance is not quite as amazing as CPU and GPU overclocking. A slightly unstable CPU or GPU can cause BSODs and on rare occasion some data loss, but a bad RAM overclock can destroy a windows install rather quickly and sometimes quietly.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Being SATA2 instead of SATA3 doesn't matter for those drivers. The sustained internal speeds do not exceed SATA2 limits. You could always raid0 those two drives and essentially double the speed of the drives (there will still be overhead) at the cost of higher volatility. Just make sure you back-up important files regularly if you decide to RAID your drives.

You have also asked about overclocking. Overclocking an older, but still robust system like that can breath a bit of extra life into it. I have a Richland A4 that was not only fun to overclock, but proved to be an able little chip when overclocked.

CPU:
Are you currently running bone stock on the CPU? Since you just downloaded Aida, try running the stability test and record max CPU voltage and Temperature after 15 minutes or so. I think I spotted a Cooler Master 212 in that case, which is sufficient to get a decent overclock. Those chips have been known to hit 5.0 as a daily overclock with proper cooling. Here is a link to a guide from one of the worlds best and most respected overclockers http://overclocking.guide/amd-trinity-richland-kaveri-socket-fm2/ He was using a 5800k, but that really doesn't change a thing for you, as they behave the same way from the motherboards stance.

GPU:
This one is pretty simple. You need two pieces of software; something to change the clocks, and something to test stability. If you don't already have those, I would suggest MSI afterburner for clock control, and Unigine Valley for stability testing. Stay below 85C. Monitor temperatures constantly during the overclock process. First, max out the power target because we want to operate over 100% of stock power, and leaving this at 100% will throttle your speed if it uses more than stock power. Increase the core clock 10mhz and run your benchmark for 5-10 minutes. If it passes, jot down the clock speed and max temp on a piece of paper. Repeat until you either start to see strange artifacts and flashing, or your system locks/crashes, or your max temp goes over 85, as either means you too far. Go back to the last working number you wrote down and this time test for 30 minutes instead. If it passes, you are halfway done. You can repeat this whole process in the same fashion for the GPU memory clock. If you feel froggy and still are having issues with poor performance, you can add voltage and potentially open up more overclocking headroom. Just be aware that voltage equates to extra heat. Heat+Voltage=Degradation. the hotter and heavier, the quicker.

Get those two overclocked before you worry about overclocking RAM. There are gains to be had in RAM overclocking for sure, but it can get messier quicker with RAM overclocking, and the boost to your overall performance is not quite as amazing as CPU and GPU overclocking. A slightly unstable CPU or GPU can cause BSODs and on rare occasion some data loss, but a bad RAM overclock can destroy a windows install rather quickly and sometimes quietly.
Thank you thank you thank you!

Yes, CPU is running stock (which is running with that turbo clock that it has) and I know I have to disable that before I can do any sort of OC on it. I've heard of people running a DAILY 5.0 OC on these, I don't forsee being able to do that with an air cooler/limited knowledge that I have (at this point
wink.gif
) My first attempt at OC with a pre-set profile that a friend put on my motherboard didn't work out for me, so I avoided CPU OC for the time being. I will make sure to study that guide though for sure.

GPU:
I have afterburner, and I have Valley. From playing around I actually liked Trixx a little better since it doesn't cap my OC to below what I should be able to get. But You guys know better than me, so I'm going to listen and keep using afterburner haha. I also downloaded a system monitor program/app that allows me to monitor my temps and clocks from my phone while my PC is in fullscreen mode (keeps me from having to switch all over the place to check things and mess with the operation that's running) I plan on doing a "case mod" and adding a screen to the side of my case that does the same thing without having any extra programs running at all.

What do you mean by "max out the power target" ?

I've had my HD 6950 up to 880MHZ core clock (over the 800 stock) and the memory up to 1325Mhz (over the 1250 stock) and my temps stay at or below 79C. No crashing in testing or in gameplay (I ran through a half hour of Fallout 4) But I don't really think that's much of an "overclock" since a lot of people flash the BIOS on these cards to the 6970 BIOS that runs those speeds stock (or higher I can't remember). I can't get my BIOS to flash to the 6970 though so I unlocked the shaders and bumped the speeds a bit.

And as far as voltages go, I'm too scared to mess with them at this point because I don't have the money to replace a fried CPU or GPU haha. I don't expect to get a TOP OF THE LINE PC out of my OC, but if I could get better framerates in games (specifically Fallout 4 since it's the only one that doesn't run at 60+fps) and a smoother running system I would be totally satisfied.

To be honest I wasn't even planning on overclocking at all because I always thought that would kill your computer faster. Now I know better (as long as you do it properly that is) I've learned a lot since I started building my computer.

I just had heard you COULD OC the RAM, I don't really plan on it, not for a while at least. Most things won't really benefit from it, and it's too risky for me since I'm a visual learner (I like having someone show me how to do things the first few times so I know for sure I don't mess anything up)

I also want to make sure it's known I only have a 500w PSU. I dont' wanna toast that messing with stuff either... It's on my list of upgrades. (what isn't lol)

But again thank you a ton for the response! I'll check out that CPU OC tutorial and look into it.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
500W is plenty, and while I don't know that specific model, Silverstone doesn't make bad PSUs as far as I know. You should be fine overclocking to the moon in your current system. PSU upgrade should be last on your list, right next to case.

There is nothing wrong with TRIXX, if you like it, use it! Afterburner just gives you that monitoring tab, which is why I suggested it. Here is a modded version of TRIXX from back in the day that will allow you to REALLY crank the voltage if the card allows.

SapphireTrixx4.4.0b-MOD.zip 3450k .zip file
By power target, I mean the Power Limit slider...It should default at 100% and go 110%-%140% depending on the cards BIOS. You can safely MAX that slider out without worry. All maxing it out does is ensure that your GPU will never throttle due to reaching past the factory watt limit.

Don't be too shy about raising voltages, it kind of goes hand in hand with overclocking. Being cautious is good, but being knowledgeable is better. Read and read some more. Richland CPUs respond well to voltage, and you wont get far without adding some. Just remember to keep a sharp eye on temps, your cooler is likely going to be the weakest link overclocking that CPU. My little A4 runs 47x @ 1.45 (last I checked, but I could be wrong on that) on a really cheap board under a Hyper 212, I imagine you can get the same or better results.

• Rep+
Reactions: Tisser12

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:

500W is plenty, and while I don't know that specific model, Silverstone doesn't make bad PSUs as far as I know. You should be fine overclocking to the moon in your current system. PSU upgrade should be last on your list, right next to case.

There is nothing wrong with TRIXX, if you like it, use it! Afterburner just gives you that monitoring tab, which is why I suggested it. Here is a modded version of TRIXX from back in the day that will allow you to REALLY crank the voltage if the card allows.

By power target, I mean the Power Limit slider...It should default at 100% and go 110%-%140% depending on the cards BIOS. You can safely MAX that slider out without worry. All maxing it out does is ensure that your GPU will never throttle due to reaching past the factory watt limit.

Don't be too shy about raising voltages, it kind of goes hand in hand with overclocking. Being cautious is good, but being knowledgeable is better. Read and read some more. Richland CPUs respond well to voltage, and you wont get far without adding some. Just remember to keep a sharp eye on temps, your cooler is likely going to be the weakest link overclocking that CPU. My little A4 runs 47x @ 1.45 (last I checked, but I could be wrong on that) on a really cheap board under a Hyper 212, I imagine you can get the same or better results.
i wouldnt use the modded version of trix on a unlocked 6950 lol. That card will hit 90c so quick its unreal
Quote:

Yes, CPU is running stock (which is running with that turbo clock that it has) and I know I have to disable that before I can do any sort of OC on it. I've heard of people running a DAILY 5.0 OC on these, I don't forsee being able to do that with an air cooler/limited knowledge that I have (at this point
wink.gif
) My first attempt at OC with a pre-set profile that a friend put on my motherboard didn't work out for me, so I avoided CPU OC for the time being. I will make sure to study that guide though for sure.

GPU:
I have afterburner, and I have Valley. From playing around I actually liked Trixx a little better since it doesn't cap my OC to below what I should be able to get. But You guys know better than me, so I'm going to listen and keep using afterburner haha. I also downloaded a system monitor program/app that allows me to monitor my temps and clocks from my phone while my PC is in fullscreen mode (keeps me from having to switch all over the place to check things and mess with the operation that's running) I plan on doing a "case mod" and adding a screen to the side of my case that does the same thing without having any extra programs running at all.

I've had my HD 6950 up to 880MHZ core clock (over the 800 stock) and the memory up to 1325Mhz (over the 1250 stock) and my temps stay at or below 79C. No crashing in testing or in gameplay (I ran through a half hour of Fallout 4) But I don't really think that's much of an "overclock" since a lot of people flash the BIOS on these cards to the 6970 BIOS that runs those speeds stock (or higher I can't remember). I can't get my BIOS to flash to the 6970 though so I unlocked the shaders and bumped the speeds a bit.

And as far as voltages go, I'm too scared to mess with them at this point because I don't have the money to replace a fried CPU or GPU haha. I don't expect to get a TOP OF THE LINE PC out of my OC, but if I could get better framerates in games (specifically Fallout 4 since it's the only one that doesn't run at 60+fps) and a smoother running system I would be totally satisfied.

To be honest I wasn't even planning on overclocking at all because I always thought that would kill your computer faster. Now I know better (as long as you do it properly that is) I've learned a lot since I started building my computer.

I just had heard you COULD OC the RAM, I don't really plan on it, not for a while at least. Most things won't really benefit from it, and it's too risky for me since I'm a visual learner (I like having someone show me how to do things the first few times so I know for sure I don't mess anything up)

I also want to make sure it's known I only have a 500w PSU. I dont' wanna toast that messing with stuff either... It's on my list of upgrades. (what isn't lol)

But again thank you a ton for the response! I'll check out that CPU OC tutorial and look into it.
i can dump my 6970s bios if you want.

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

i wouldnt use the modded version of trix on a unlocked 6950 lol. That card will hit 90c so quick its unreal
Just because the voltage cap is raised, doesn't mean you have to fill it. I prefer the simplified UI of the old TRIXX, the new one reminds me of EVGA PX, its odd looking and the information is not exactly well laid out. I just want sliders and numbers, not graphics and gauges.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Awesome info. I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate the elaboration. I'm a quick learner, but I can't learn it if I'm not taught it haha. I've learned more from your few posts than I learned from hours of reading online and youtubing. It's all a matter of how it's described
thumb.gif

Well I'm glad I don't need to worry about power, because that was one thing that was sort of geeking me out, that my PSU wouldn't handle my system, OC, and the LED's and fans I have.

Not doing anything with power sliders before would probably explain why I didn't see any gains on my OC attempts. Also why my CPU didn't want to OC at all before.

I forgot I wanted to post a shot of my system summary at stock in my last post.

Here's a screenshot of that app I use to monitor my system while I play fullscreen, this was after about 3 hours of playing Fallout 4 tonight. Stock everything I got a DECENT average of around 30-50 fps, untill I got to higher density areas (Lexington, corvega plant) which some further tweaking would probably solve. I noticed my CPU was the thing maxing out with the framerate drops for the most part. I did hit a few times where my CPU wasn't even at 75% and my GPU was the bottleneck. But then again that was at all stock (minus the unlocked shaders of course) CPU never went above 35C and GPU never went above 75C.

I do have an issue though. I think the one fan on my GPU isn't functioning properly. It gets a weird noise on occasion and seems like it's struggling to move. I'm gonna get it looked at. I also need to get a better cable, right now I have a DVID-VGA adapter plugged into the GPU and then a VGA cable running to my TV. I found a DVID-VGA cable that doesn't use an adapter and would put less strain on the DVID port.

But I constantly monitor my hardware when I'm gaming with that app to make sure nothing goes too hot for some reason. Speaking of too hot, what's usually a max temp for a CPU? What's a "safe range" for every day? I don't want to run anything that can only be a "five minute run" type deal. No melted CPUs for me haha. Plus I'm not 100% confident with my thermal paste application skills so I worry that I didn't do that properly and therefore it's not cooling how it should. =\ But you've already guessed it I worry a lot.

I agree that being knowledgeable is better and that's why I'm here! You guys are great!
Quote:

i can dump my 6970s bios if you want.
I HAVE a 6970 bios but no matter which bios I start from it won't boot with the 6970 bios installed, I have to flip the switch back over and reset it. And then set everything back up with the unlocked shaders. And yes, I set the STOCK bios and settings before I tried to re-flash it to the 6970 bios. (Not initially though, and I was excited and thought I figured it out when I realized but still no dice)

I'll have to mess with some settings tomorrow.

On a side note, these "solderless" angled adapters I got for my UV 5050 strips are making me mad. They keep getting loosened or something and the lights keep flickering past one of the angles. AKA the power keeps getting shorted out from the strips. NOT GOOD. I replaced one of the angles before because of the same issue, I figured I had just broken the PCB or something, but now it's acting up at a different connector that had no issues before. I'm gonna either just solder wires to the strips to allow for the bends or solder the connectors they're plugged into now so they have a super solid no chance to get loose connection. I should have just soldered them together with wire in the first place. Oh well, live and learn right? I'll make sure to solder my RBGW strips when I end up getting them, I'm not messing around with this kinda BS with the solderless connectors again. They're a really good idea, I just wish I knew if I was doing something wrong or if they're just "malfunctioning" after so much useage. Maybe the UV is killing the plastic or PCB? I dunno.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:

wink.gif

GPU:

Quote:

Just because the voltage cap is raised, doesn't mean you have to fill it. I prefer the simplified UI of the old TRIXX, the new one reminds me of EVGA PX, its odd looking and the information is not exactly well laid out. I just want sliders and numbers, not graphics and gauges.
true but most 6970s operate around 82-88 degrees unless your running these fans wide op
Quote:

Awesome info. I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate the elaboration. I'm a quick learner, but I can't learn it if I'm not taught it haha. I've learned more from your few posts than I learned from hours of reading online and youtubing. It's all a matter of how it's described
thumb.gif

Well I'm glad I don't need to worry about power, because that was one thing that was sort of geeking me out, that my PSU wouldn't handle my system, OC, and the LED's and fans I have.

Not doing anything with power sliders before would probably explain why I didn't see any gains on my OC attempts. Also why my CPU didn't want to OC at all before.

I forgot I wanted to post a shot of my system summary at stock in my last post.

Here's a screenshot of that app I use to monitor my system while I play fullscreen, this was after about 3 hours of playing Fallout 4 tonight. Stock everything I got a DECENT average of around 30-50 fps, untill I got to higher density areas (Lexington, corvega plant) which some further tweaking would probably solve. I noticed my CPU was the thing maxing out with the framerate drops for the most part. I did hit a few times where my CPU wasn't even at 75% and my GPU was the bottleneck. But then again that was at all stock (minus the unlocked shaders of course) CPU never went above 35C and GPU never went above 75C.

I do have an issue though. I think the one fan on my GPU isn't functioning properly. It gets a weird noise on occasion and seems like it's struggling to move. I'm gonna get it looked at. I also need to get a better cable, right now I have a DVID-VGA adapter plugged into the GPU and then a VGA cable running to my TV. I found a DVID-VGA cable that doesn't use an adapter and would put less strain on the DVID port.

But I constantly monitor my hardware when I'm gaming with that app to make sure nothing goes too hot for some reason. Speaking of too hot, what's usually a max temp for a CPU? What's a "safe range" for every day? I don't want to run anything that can only be a "five minute run" type deal. No melted CPUs for me haha. Plus I'm not 100% confident with my thermal paste application skills so I worry that I didn't do that properly and therefore it's not cooling how it should. =\ But you've already guessed it I worry a lot.

I agree that being knowledgeable is better and that's why I'm here! You guys are great!
I HAVE a 6970 bios but no matter which bios I start from it won't boot with the 6970 bios installed, I have to flip the switch back over and reset it. And then set everything back up with the unlocked shaders. And yes, I set the STOCK bios and settings before I tried to re-flash it to the 6970 bios. (Not initially though, and I was excited and thought I figured it out when I realized but still no dice)

I'll have to mess with some settings tomorrow.

On a side note, these "solderless" angled adapters I got for my UV 5050 strips are making me mad. They keep getting loosened or something and the lights keep flickering past one of the angles. AKA the power keeps getting shorted out from the strips. NOT GOOD. I replaced one of the angles before because of the same issue, I figured I had just broken the PCB or something, but now it's acting up at a different connector that had no issues before. I'm gonna either just solder wires to the strips to allow for the bends or solder the connectors they're plugged into now so they have a super solid no chance to get loose connection. I should have just soldered them together with wire in the first place. Oh well, live and learn right? I'll make sure to solder my RBGW strips when I end up getting them, I'm not messing around with this kinda BS with the solderless connectors again. They're a really good idea, I just wish I knew if I was doing something wrong or if they're just "malfunctioning" after so much useage. Maybe the UV is killing the plastic or PCB? I dunno.
try the sapphire toxic 6970 bios
wink.gif
I just noticed you have a sapphire card. They might have done some kinda custom pcb. hwinfo64 is awesome.You can set up sensors to monitor cpu temps clockspeeds vcore and all that good stuff in game just like afterburner.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

true but most 6970s operate around 82-88 degrees unless your running these fans wide op
try the sapphire toxic 6970 bios
wink.gif
I just noticed you have a sapphire card. They might have done some kinda custom pcb. hwinfo64 is awesome.You can set up sensors to monitor cpu temps clockspeeds vcore and all that good stuff in game just like afterburner.
I'll have to check that bios out, I'm thinking they DID do something weird with their PCB. I just recently found out about HWinfo64 I was using both GPUz AND CPUz at the same time and wanted something like this that was all-in-one.

I'm avoiding in-game overlays for the time being because some of the stuff I'm using claims they mess with it (mods mostly)

Had some odd 300fps+ framerates last night during minigames (lockpicking etc) . Gonna probably lock my FPS at 45 or 50 to try and alleviate that. Either that or initiate a 60fps cap since apparently the v-sync is broken? I need to test that out myself, because I feel like the v-sync WAS working somewhat for me to keep things smoothly.

Lowered my AA to TAA instead of FXAA and immediately everything lost it's jagged edges. Go figure. Ran my game with motion blur on last night as well, and it looked really nice overall.

I'm off the three days after today (Happy easter btw) so I'll get to mess around with my clocks and things more. I need to uninstall some things I have on here though, I think having more than one radeon software may interfering with each other. And I wanna get rid of any OC programs I don't need as well.

Allons-Y!

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
Go into your .ini and set ipresentinterval=1 to allow FO4 to cap the framerate. Physics has been tied to framerate for a while now with Bethesda's games. I am sure I am not the only one that ever died from a bucket to the face in Skyrim.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Go into your .ini and set ipresentinterval=1 to allow FO4 to cap the framerate. Physics has been tied to framerate for a while now with Bethesda's games. I am sure I am not the only one that ever died from a bucket to the face in Skyrim.
Right on, I'll have to make sure that's turned on (I mean, apparently it's not atm)

Over the next few days I'll be soldering my LED's together (stupid solderless clips) and overclocking (at least attempting to) my system. I'll be sure to post results
thumb.gif

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First issue. For some reason now trixx keeps resetting all my clock settings to default every time I click apply. Leaves the power slider there but resets the clock and memory clock both to stock (changed one then the other to see) I kept wondering why valley was exactly the same..

I recently downloaded the newest Crimson radeon software, maybe that's overriding the OC settings?? *sigh*

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,609 Posts
Try overclocking through the Crimson Software. It works too if you dont want to fiddle with voltage.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:

First issue. For some reason now trixx keeps resetting all my clock settings to default every time I click apply. Leaves the power slider there but resets the clock and memory clock both to stock (changed one then the other to see) I kept wondering why valley was exactly the same..

I recently downloaded the newest Crimson radeon software, maybe that's overriding the OC settings?? *sigh*
I had more trouble overclocking my previous sapphire 6850 with Trixx than I did with afterburner. It would crash on apply changes 50% of the time or reset something back to default randomly. Afterburner has been great though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7850K View Post

I had more trouble overclocking my previous sapphire 6850 with Trixx than I did with afterburner. It would crash on apply changes 50% of the time or reset something back to default randomly. Afterburner has been great though.
I'll keep that in mind. Guess I gotta reinstall riviatuner... lol

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:

I'll keep that in mind. Guess I gotta reinstall riviatuner... lol
i bios flash my overclocks and use afterburner for voltage control/overlay only. Cant revert to stock when my overclocks are seen by the card as stock
wink.gif

1 - 20 of 164 Posts