Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey Guys,

Been having strange things with the electricity here and not sure what the hell is going on. The first year I lived in this house I never had a problem running this computer at all. Now it seems that games are getting more demanding that my circuit breaker can't handle the load (guessing) . I uploaded these two pictures of a test I ran today with something odd that is going on. Am I missing something here? Is maybe my power supply causing these issues? Every time at about 36 secs in of this OCCT benchmark the CPU will ramp up to 100% but when it does this it absolutely kills the cards and brings them down to 50%. This problem is driving me insane. I don't know where to start with it... Also when the cpu goes wide open to 100% and the cards at 50 percent the lights begin to flicker etc.... I just bought a 1500va/wAVR sinewave UPS thinking that would help. It hasn't... Seems like its just getting worse. This is a newer house I am in too. Built in 2004.Maybe time for a new power supply or get an electrician? Or is it something I am completely missing?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would say an 850w PSU is not enough for your rig. OC'd Sandy and two 780s is too much for it. That PSU might be barely adequate for the rig, but if it has any age on it, it might not be enough anymore. Your UPS should be providing clean power and if you are not popping circuit breakers I say check out the PSU as the problem. If you have access to a multi meter use it to check the PSU. LINK

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
850W is enough. It definitely is. But it might be malfunctioning. I'd say that if your power outlets have problem with 600W of power then connecting a toaster,microwave and an electric kettle to the same socket through a power bar might explode your wall.
It's good you have those diagrams, ask Shilka how to interpret such behaviour.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was just solved today. Got sick of running just one card. ordered a corsair rm1000. No more light flicker! IT was the 850w. I think with my setup running for 2 years right on the line of good enough. It just got tired of doing it. Now I have headroom and no more problems at all!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Those 780s can really suck a lot of power under the right conditions...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts