Overclock.net banner

Do you think I am paranoid or just a little excessive?

• Yes, you are paranoid

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • No, you are not paranoid, but you are rather excessive

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • No, you are not paranoid or excessive

Votes: 5 8.9%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comodo Reg cleaner
Windows Defender
BitDefender Free Edition v10
Antivir AntiVirus Free Edition
SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
Malwarebytes AntiMalware
A-Squared Free
ZoneAlarm Firewall

What do you think? A little to excessive? I am paranoid about viruses and security and thus I have these ALL scan once a week (during the night). I to dust every 1-2 months (and blow out the heat sink as well).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Haha just a bit excessive but if it keeps you happy and safe then keep doing it. I only have windows and my routers firewall on. Just don't visit silly sites

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
And how slow is your computer with all that stuff running?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
i have windows advanced care v3 and spybot. my computer works great, no viruses. Unless you go to some not so reliable sites, you don't need all of that. even still, you wouldn't need all of that.

when you have installed multiple ani-virus, many times they will conflict with each other. avg and zone alarm are the ones that come to mind.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeRoth View Post
NOD32 Enough Said
NOD32 on your PC is like putting your car in a giant safe with a 50 digit combination.

Sure, it's safe, but you won't be able to use it.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I little too much for me. Now I'm only really running Windows Defender, AVG Free, and do all of my other clean-up and maintenance with TuneUp Utilities. Before making the switch to Vista 64, I only used ZoneAlarm instead of Windows Firewall.

Knock on wood, but I have, NEVER, repeat NEVER had any viruses, malware, trojans, and any other threat get to my system. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
What do you think? A little to excessive?
Redundant.

Have three programs...

ESET - NOD32 (which I use as a site ad blocker too).
PCTools - Spyware Doctor 6 (to remove all those damn tracking cookies and spyware which NOD32 may miss -- like changing the site name from *.com to *.net which these spyware companies love to do to evade blacklists).
PCTools - Registry Cleaner (to clean up the registry of junk).

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
ASUS Mobile... uhm, what? What is that for?

If you run Linux (and are fluent with it) just use that? Then use Crossover or some emulation for Windows?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It actually is quite fast. It works fine (after everything starts up since only 3 of those start on startup) and the only downside is that my boot time went up by 10s. But to me that is a reasonably price to pay. There is no lag and when they all run, they run when I am not on it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Croft
View Post

This is what I use to keep my system clean: Common Sense 4.6 2009 Ultimate Platinum Edition.

This. And Avast.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
All you need is
-CCLeaner
-Defraggler
-Spybot

·
Registered
776 Posts
It comes down to personal preference. If it stops you from getting virus/malware etc and you dont have any trouble running it all then go for gold. Rather lots than none at all. Just make sure you dont double up on virus/firewall engines running at the same time youll run into issues. I prefer to run Very little protection because its my job to remove the stuff so infections for me arent an issue of sorts.
Avast Free Edition
Windows Firewall
Spybot S&d
Ccleaner

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quote:
What do you think? A little to excessive?
Depends how much youre running in real-time and how effective they are working together. If they are bogging your computer down and not even effective its all kinda pointless.

I figure for me browsing is my biggest potential threat. Therefore I have tried to make the actual browser hard as nails.

▪ Firefox

Firefox add ons

▪ NoScript (as it says)
▪ WOT (site adviser)
▪ Adblock Plus (as it says)
▪ Keyscrambler (freeware keystroke encryption tool)

One of the best protection tools around, IMO, is Sandboxie Freeware at its best!!

I use Sandboxie as the main protection aid on my computer. I run most internet facing programs via it. Sandboxing and virtual areas are the way to go.

The only real-time protection I actually need is:

▪ Avira free anti virus
▪ Online Armor firewall

I scan my computer once a week with Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware. Just incase anything should get through Sandboxie (hasnt so far)

EDIT: I voted ... No, you are not paranoid or excessive

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the reason I run things like this is because I have a lot friends' data backed up on my pc (almost 100GB) and I scan anything before it is ever even opened. Autorun is turned off via registry to stop confickr incase it is there (which there is a good chance it isn't). I have had 3 of my systems destroyed by viruses (and 2 of which were not my fault, blame my cousins who range from the age of 12-15). I am 19, but when it comes to most things, I have the maturity of a 25+ yr old.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts