Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering while I worked on this thing if anyone else had something like this happen...

Heres the story:

So a while back one of my good friends really needed a PC badly, he was out of work and going stir crazy and we always liked to play video games together online. I decided at the time I would put together a machine and send it to him because I had tons of extra parts lying around. I managed to scrounge up a 2500k, Z68 board, GTX 580 and a 60GB SSD and threw them in my old Corsair Air 540 with an H100i along with some spare RAM and PSU.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, he had been complaining it would crash to a black screen and he had to pull the power cord out to get it to turn on again, so I had him send it back up to me.

What I received was a machine that had not once been dusted the entire year it was there, smelled literally like a dog and had been attempted to be overclocked to 5.0ghz simply by changing the multiplier to 50 and leaving everything else alone. The PSU fan was dead because there was so much dirt in it, I couldn't even spin it with a screwdriver stuck in the fan blades. The H100i was so packed with dirt it had become solid, I still have it sitting in vinegar water 2 days later and it still isn't broken up yet.

I was really disappointed to see this, I spend a bunch of my own money and gave away this computer for free and this is how it gets treated? I ended up having to completely disassemble the case and take it outside to spray it down with the garden hose. You'd think someone might be a little grateful but I learned my lesson, no more computer builds for friends if they aren't paying for it up front.

Here are some pics of it (after I had used a whole can of canned air on the main compartment), it actually looks better in the pics than it did in person. That thing was filthy.

WP_20140717_001.jpg

WP_20140717_002.jpg

WP_20140717_003.jpg

WP_20140717_004.jpg

WP_20140717_005.jpg

·
User
2,334 Posts
uw0tm8? Im the owner = Istant suicide. Can't stand damn dirt. srs.

btw is everything working fine?

·
Rabies is my business
4,374 Posts
I hear ya'. My boss at work has been pushing me to build his wife one for her wedding planning business. I really don't want to get involved with my employer outside of work. I can see it now, he pays me $50 to put it together for him then he'll expect free tech support for life afterwards.

• Rep+
Reactions: JVene

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

uw0tm8? Im the owner = Istant suicide. Can't stand damn dirt. srs.

btw is everything working fine?
The PSU is dead, it was an Antec 630W. Everything else *seems* fine, surprisingly. With that much dust it wouldn't be unusual for something to have shorted out and gotten damaged. The fans on the H100i are a write-off too, dust got in the bearings and they can barely turn.

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
I wouldn't send it back when you are done cleaning it that's for sure....just keep putting him off about how long it's taking you to clean it

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
95 percent of pc owners are afraid to even open the case,never mind actually clean the interior.

This is typical and not the least bit a surprise.Just let your friend know what to do and how to do it in the future.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
This happens a lot with me. I'll build a PC for friend or family and a year or so later they call saying it runs like crap or doesn't run at all. When I take a look it is obvious that it was never cleaned. They also don't run anti-malware scans to keep the system virus and malware free. Then the browsers are loaded down with those toolbars that try to load when you install programs. I guess no one knows how to click on "no, I don't want this".

Then they expect me to come running every time they have a problem and don't pay me for my time fixing what they could have avoided.

I'm almost done with it....even family.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be clear, he knows how to build a computer himself and knows that it needs to be cleaned, which is why I'm pretty annoyed by this. We lived together for several years when we were in the military. Seems like he just didn't care about it at this point. Oh well, he's getting a basic crappy case back with a basic PSU and the stock HSF.

·
I fix Stuff
5,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

To be clear, he knows how to build a computer himself and knows that it needs to be cleaned, which is why I'm pretty annoyed by this. We lived together for several years when we were in the military. Seems like he just didn't care about it at this point. Oh well, he's getting a basic crappy case back with a basic PSU and the stock HSF.
I would just ask him for payment for the parts up front after the way it was treated. especially if he knows better. that is not a friend, that is a mooch.

·
Rabies is my business
4,374 Posts
He's had a year to save for his own build, keep your gear and send him a link to Newegg.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
After a year and can't buy a can of compressed air you not doing him any favours sending it back. Tell that bum to clean his house and go get a job. That's what a friend would say imo. Get new friends to play with and never call him again

1 - 20 of 102 Posts