Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i just got the sleeving kit today for my Tagan 480w PSU.

To save being without a computer for any extended length of time, i decided to wack my old Super Flower 420W PSU back in my rig so that could take my time sleeving my Tagan.

Anyway, I plugged my old PSU back in and started the machine. Everything seemed to be working OK until my machine started to load windows when i started to hear a slight buzzing sound.

I dismissed the sound as a vibration coming from my water pump...but oh man was i wrong.

After firing up a game of Unreal Tournament, the buzzing started to get very loud, and i started to smell something burning.

I turned to my rig, and the PSU was smoking!!!!!

I quickly turned my machine off, left it for 10 minutes and then tried turning it on again.

Luckily it came back on, and at the moment, i am running my machine at default speeds without any problems!!!

Just be warned....an underpowered PSU can do more than hinder your overclock!!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
lol yeah, I'm running a cheap right now and getting the weirdest voltage fluctuations you could imagein. My 12 volt rail hit 19 volts last night, my vcore randomly drop from 1.75 to 0.95, and the 5 volts rail jumped to 8 volts. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually, you should check the fans. If it's smoking, chances are one of the fans is dead. I've had this problem before. My PSU almost reached critical mass before I noticed it.

I solved that problem by tossing an 80mm case fan in its place and using an erector set L corner piece to offset the fan to suck air from thr bottom. (after a minute of coaxing the original fan to start, that is.)

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cronee
Actually, you should check the fans. If it's smoking, chances are one of the fans is dead. I've had this problem before. My PSU almost reached critical mass before I noticed it.

I solved that problem by tossing an 80mm case fan in its place and using an erector set L corner piece to offset the fan to suck air from thr bottom. (after a minute of coaxing the original fan to start, that is.)
My fans are all running fine. It was just the fact that my old PSU has almost 10amps less on the 12v rail, and my overclock was killing it.

Running the system at stock fixes the problem.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
lol yeah, I'm running a cheap right now and getting the weirdest voltage fluctuations you could imagein. My 12 volt rail hit 19 volts last night, my vcore randomly drop from 1.75 to 0.95, and the 5 volts rail jumped to 8 volts. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
Now that is very wierd. My +12v is going down to about 11v and all of them are fluctating like crazy...including my CPU speed which is fluctuating around 10mhz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts