Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I have a crap motherboard. It will not lock the PCI/AGP bus speeds, so I can't do much of an overclock without screwing something up. However, I might have found a way around this. On my motherboard, there is a jumper. It allows me to change my FSB to either 133, 166, or 200. I also think it resets the memory and PCI speeds to stock settings. Therefore, I should be able to change to a 166MHz FSB, but my PCI and RAM will not be affected. Also, this would give me a speed of about 2.1GHz (smokin' for a 1.67 chip). However, I would probably kill my chip with stock cooling. Has anyone on these forums ever clocked an XP 2000 to these speeds?

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not really worth blowing up my entire investment. Besides, I can't raise voltage, so it might become unstable.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
it controls the fsb, not the processor clock speed. i wouldn't do it because #1 i don't think it'll change the actual proc speed, and #2 if it does, max stable on air is gonna be like 1.8 to 1.9 GHz for that chip.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That speed shouldnt be too bad for the chip... with a big typhoon maybe butwithout, i wouldnt try it!

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm probably not going to try it. But there's always the possibility...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
with the older xp processors, its more than just the speed. there was reviews on them when they came out, and an actual video of them overclocking the 2000, and all they could get with air was a couple hundred megahertz. they could get around a 12% overclock i believe.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Might not work without a vcore boost. Although I have an athlon xp2500+ barton that can run 3200+ wih no vcore increase. (1.83ghz to 2.2ghz) stock air that came with the chip. Make sure you have a jumper on your MB to reset your cmos (bios) because sometimes when you reset by pulling the battery you have to leave it out for a bit. Had to leave one out overnight once, that was no fun. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts