Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intel Core i5-2520M Processor (2.5GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)
ThinkPad PC DOS License
12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
2 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM)
No Fingerprint Reader
250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
ThinkPad Battery 29+ (6 cell)
No Bluetooth
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)
Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable
4286 : 1 Year Depot Warranty - TopSeller

$718.06 after coupon code

Dropping the processor down to an i5-2410m gives me a final price of $676.94

Unless someone has other suggestions for an ultraportable laptop, I might go with this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
In my opinion no, i perfer a bigger screen and more ram, as in my hp dv6t cafe edition has an i5 a 15.6" led screen 4gigs of ram and 500gb 7200rpm and it cost me around $600. Idk about ultraportable you might be able to find something better then that.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I got the same config with 9-cell for the same price last months

The X220 is pretty awesome, but I don't think you really need i5 2520(unless you need some of the advanced features like virtualization or something), just get an i5 2410M and save $50 bucks. I'm not gonna complaint about the $50 I paid for i5 2520M since it might help the resell value later, but I won't upgrade the CPU if I can choose again.

Also, the DOS OS config is only worth it if you are planning on replacing the HDD with SSD, and already have Windows 7 keys.

I order a set of 2x4GB DDR3 RAM($50), and replaced the HDD with Intel X25-M, and already have a few Windows 7 keys, so this config was perfect for me(in fact I created one of the thread on SD)

If you are sticking with the HDD and don't have Windows 7 keys, get the regular one and just skip the RAM, since RAM is just a rip off at Lenovo, but the OS and HDD prices are ok.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of getting the 2520m because I'm going to be a compsci student in the Fall and that I might need the virtualization features. That's a pretty big "might" though. I'll re-consider the choice of processor definitely.

I do have a W7 key available but I probably won't be replacing the HDD. Would it be a good choice then to upgrade to a 7200rpm option? I'll probably grab a 2GB stick of RAM from an online retailer, Lenovo definitely rips you off on RAM prices.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If you don't need the SSD then upgrade to 7200RPM is a good option, the stock 5400RPM 250GB HDD is pretty slow(I used it for a few days before my Intel SSD arrived).

However I'd highly recommend upgrading to a SSD since the system will run MUCH faster. Especially if you don't need a lot of storage space.

And for the CPUs,
i5 2410M supports Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x), but not the newer Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d). I don't use Virtualization so I don't know what the difference is...lol

The only things you are missing out on the i5 2410M are the: Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d), Intel® Trusted Execution Technology, AES New Instructions, and Intel vPro.

Here's the spec sheet for the two CPUs
i5 2410M:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52224

i5 2520M:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52229

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oozypunk;14206248
I started Customizing it, you can downgrade from the 2.5ghz i5 to the 2.3ghz and use the $100 you save to add in a 1gb radeon graphics card for $75
The price of the HP ones is not bad at all.
however I had some pretty horrible experience with HP and I don't like them
biggrin.gif
(My friend's HP laptop was repaired 5 times within a year for different problems lol)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nardox;14206268
The price of the HP ones is not bad at all.
however I had some pretty horrible experience with HP and I don't like them
biggrin.gif
(My friend's HP laptop was repaired 5 times within a year for different problems lol)
Wow seems unlucky, Ive had aroundn 7 Hp computers in all and they have all been great, one of my first one a p3 just recently decided to kick the bucket

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The price of the HPs are not bad at all. I'll have to weigh my options. The HP ones aren't really in my definition of ultraportable (13" or less) and their quality is a huge YMMV but the free upgrades would save me a chunk of money. I would lose out on the IPS panel though...hmmm
confused.gif

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, since i worked for hp doing in warranty repairs and parts replacement, the main problems the lappys had were user related i.e. spills and etc. Also The bulk of items to come in were their lower model computers, the $300-500 range, anything that cost more then that we would get like 4-5 in a week. and we recieved from all over the country

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.