Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING: Super long post from a noob... read on at your own risk of saying "you idiot" at the end.

Following applies to my signature rig:

I recently been intrigued by the idea of overclocking my computer to squeeze some more juice from it. My last motherboard died (ECS, go figure) and had to replace it on a very, very tight budget. Ended up getting a mobo, cpu, ram, and a couple of round cables for under $130, shipped. Since I didn't spend too much money on it, I felt safe to attempt to overclock even though it's only a single-core Sempron (some day I'll get a nice dual core, black edition).

So I researched, and researched, and researched some more. Found all kinds of "ultimate" and "best" guides. Found alot of them to be quite confusing but found the best of them, you know it, right here on OCN. Won't name what guide it was, but I did attempt to use it and it only helped me go from 2100 to 2200 with a low memory speed (can't remember what it was).

Then I came across durch's guide (http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...ocket-am2.html) and it was very, very helpful... probably the best I've come across in my week long research.

There was no option to overclock my mobo, but I could do the cpu and memory. Was able to OC my cpu to 280 x 10.5 with the loosest timings on the memory before windows would not let me boot at 281. Ran Orthos for almost 4 hrs before I finally became impatient (cpu temp would not go above 32 degrees) and I really wanted to try OC'ing the ram. Found that it survived a 4 hrs Orthos Large FTT test at its rated timings (5,5,5,5,15,24), voltage(1.9), and 280 x 10.5. I was excited that it could do that much and had to wait till the next day to download some benchmark programs. Got NBench, 3dMark05, 3dMark06, and PcMark06. I was disappointed to learn that I had to pay to see my results from the 3dMark's benchmark, but wanted to run them anyways to see how it performs. Considering that my OC'd speed is over 2.5 ghz (requirement for 3dMark06), I decided to run that benchmark first. Not a minute into the test I get a BSOD. Run 3dMark05 and same thing happens. Very disappointed that I wasted all that time relying on Orthos only to find it can't survive a benchmark test. Started over, used durch's guide again, only I used the 3dMark05 instead of Orthos and stuck with the 8.5 as my multiplier (middle of road type thing). If it survives the benchmark test, then it survives my stability test (if you got a criticism about that, lay it out, I'm all ears). Found that the highest I could go was 258 x 8.5. Decided to try other multipliers too and found it could handle 340 x 6.5. When I started with 10.5, I started at the similar speed of 8.5, minuse 1 reference clock (or FSB as some people call it and my motherboard) which was 207. I didn't realize my memory divider would change to 6! And memory speed dropped drastically. But I kept doing my test over and over again, until I reach 251 x 10.5! Might not be a big deal to alot of you, but to me it was! Although I am a bit disappointed that I could only squeeze out 439 mhz memory speed as I was hoping to reach near 500 (someone stated they have with the same sticks I have). By the way, memory speed for maxed at 6.5 was 442 and at 8.5 was 439.

Using NBench, I have found the following:
at default (200 x 10.5), score of 2674 and 69.67 fps
at 258 x 8.5, score of 2882 and 76.88 fps
at 340 x 6.5, score of 2908 and 77.71 fps
at 251 x 10.5, score of 3374 and 89.32 fps

So now I've got some questions:
1. I've isolated that the cpu could OC to about 3.0 ghz but using the rated timings on ram, the memory speed only reaches to around 440. I've heard people go higher with these sticks, am I doing something wrong or is it limited by my single core cpu?
2. After all my research, no one explains what the speed of the multiplier means, only the multiplier itself. Like in my bios, it stated 10.5 at 2100 mhz. What the hell is the 2100? What is that a speed of?
3. According to a guide about memory speeds and divider, it is set by the stock speed. But when I did my overclocking, it actually changed. Even CPU-Z showed that the divider changed to 6 after reaching 2.4+ ghz which would be correct mathematically. But according to the guide, it mentioned that it was set by the stock speed, not current speed. Could this person be mistaken?
4. I'm still using the stock heatsink/fan that came with the processor, yet in bios and 3 other programs, the temperature never went above 32. Even when I OC'd it to 3.0 and loose memory timings, it remained quite cool. I even feeled the air blowing from it since I was not believing what bios was telling me, and it is quite cool. Is this because it's single-core?

Thanks for reading my story and providing a feedback! I'm looking forward to hearing what people say.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
1. it's just the automated overclock value when you overclock using the bus(fsb) instead of raising the multiplier. so the more mhz you add to the bus, the higher the speed of the ram will go. yest it can go higher, but it really depends on your setup. somehow you've hit a wall with your oc that's why your ram isn't able to push it higher.

2. 2100mhz or 2.1ghz is the speed of the cpu taken from 10.5 multi times 200mhz bus(fsb)

3. you have to set the ram timings manually otherwise the mem div will just set itself manually and usually results with an unstable oc.

4. you're right. and the sempron is not that power hungry as most dual cores and quads. plus the fact that compared to an athlon single core, the sempron has an LE w/c means it's cooler and more efficient to those models without an LE

cheers

• Rep+
Reactions: Krusher33

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

1. it's just the automated overclock value when you overclock using the bus(fsb) instead of raising the multiplier. so the more mhz you add to the bus, the higher the speed of the ram will go. yest it can go higher, but it really depends on your setup. somehow you've hit a wall with your oc that's why your ram isn't able to push it higher.

2. 2100mhz or 2.1ghz is the speed of the cpu taken from 10.5 multi times 200mhz bus(fsb)

3. you have to set the ram timings manually otherwise the mem div will just set itself manually and usually results with an unstable oc.

4. you're right. and the sempron is not that power hungry as most dual cores and quads. plus the fact that compared to an athlon single core, the sempron has an LE w/c means it's cooler and more efficient to those models without an LE

cheers

1. What's with the 200 mhz(fsb)? Is that the standard that they use to determine stock speed?
2. Oh, ok. Thought they were talking about a speed of some other thing.
3. I manually setted the timings at 5,5,5,5,15,24. At CAS of 4, computer don't boot. CAS of 6... well that's pretty down slow performance. But I haven't read anywhere about these timings having to do anything with the divider.
4. Wow, ok, didn't read that anywhere when I bought the CPU. I just got it cuz it was cheap, better than old one, and to get by till I have enough money to get something higher.

Thanks for all your input!

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddog7771
View Post

Run prime 95 for stability

Tried to look for latest... is the 25.8 the latest version???

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krusher33
View Post

1. What's with the 200 mhz(fsb)? Is that the standard that they use to determine stock speed?
2. Oh, ok. Thought they were talking about a speed of some other thing.
3. I manually setted the timings at 5,5,5,5,15,24. At CAS of 4, computer don't boot. CAS of 6... well that's pretty down slow performance. But I haven't read anywhere about these timings having to do anything with the divider.
4. Wow, ok, didn't read that anywhere when I bought the CPU. I just got it cuz it was cheap, better than old one, and to get by till I have enough money to get something higher.

Thanks for all your input!

yep, 200mhz is the standard bus speed for amd processors. i just enclosed the fsb since it's what most people refer to. but for amd, it's the bus speed. and fsb for intel is hypertransport for amd.

i'm not sure about your ram timings. honestly, i'm having a hard time with my ram as well. but i'm sure a lot of guys here will help you with that.

but that's the rule, for your system to be more overclockable, you'll have to sacrifice with a lower ramspeed, especially if you do it the bus speed way for processors with locked multipliers.

cheers

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, I think people keeps getting FSB confused when talking about bus speeds with AMD's because the bios specifies it as FSB. At least mine does anyways... Just a thought... same bios used for Intel? Can't be possible, can it???

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
nope.

unless there's a standard that would unify amd and intel cpus in terms of the architecture, but i highly doubt it

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm all for unification!!!

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I manually setted the timings at 5,5,5,5,15,24. At CAS of 4, computer don't boot. CAS of 6... well that's pretty down slow performance. But I haven't read anywhere about these timings having to do anything with the divider.

Krusher33, changing the divider should not effect your sub-timings. The stock timings for your memory are 5-5-5-15 at 1.8volts. I'd recommend tweaking and getting as much as you can out of your processor first before you start adjusting your memory frequency and sub-timings. CPU speed is the king.

Quote:

View Post

Tried to look for latest... is the 25.8 the latest version???

You can download Prime95 by going here: http://www.overclock.net/downloads/137251-prime95.html.

Quote:

View Post

Honestly, I think people keeps getting FSB confused when talking about bus speeds with AMD's because the bios specifies it as FSB. At least mine does anyways... Just a thought... same bios used for Intel? Can't be possible, can it???

Just to clear a few things up. "HTT" or reference clock speed is commonly referred to as the "FSB". The proper AMD term is reference clock speed or HTT. There is technically no front side bus on a AMD board since the memory controller is integrated into the die. "FSB" is a old Intel term. I believe Intel now has a IMC as well. More than likely "FSB" is used in some motherboards so that it's easier for users to understand what it means and controls. HT or "Hypertransport" is also a separate thing and is used in AMD processors. I believe Intel has a similar type of technology but they refer to it as "QuickPath".

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

nope.

unless there's a standard that would unify amd and intel cpus in terms of the architecture, but i highly doubt it

btw, can you post a cpuz of that cpu oced to 3.0ghz. honestly, that oc really surprised me

I'll see what I can do... remember, memory timings and what not were set very very loosely and slow. Then Orthos was ran for 2 min. After awhile, I hit a wall where it wouldn't boot windows.

I'll post tomorrow if I get a chance to do it again tonight. Don't have internet at home... yet.

Update: Feared the worst... wife wanted to get some yardwork done before storm tomorrow. Lost my notes too. Was able to do a couple of settings but they failed after about an hour on prime95. But I'm very very confidence that it will pass at 280 x10.5 (which is 2940 mhz if you're too lazy to get out the calculator), will post that setting tomorrow and post screen shot of 6 hr test of prime95. Doesn't quite round up to 3.0 ghz, but close enough? Gotta tell you though, it's wicked seeing the chip staying cool even after an hour of stress at the 2951 speed.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
edit: double post. i'm being too impatient

i never knew that semprons can really oc that good. i thought 500mhz is just enough.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Intelburntest
http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBur...1.6_d2047.html
Is also great for stresstesting, it however appears to be really extreme (I however find prime95 causing more heat but I haven't found anyone who agrees with me yet)
Hope you get the OC you want

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Krusher33, changing the divider should not effect your sub-timings. The stock timings for your memory are 5-5-5-15 at 1.8volts. I'd recommend tweaking and getting as much as you can out of your processor first before you start adjusting your memory frequency and sub-timings. CPU speed is the king.

You can download Prime95 by going here: http://www.overclock.net/downloads/137251-prime95.html.

Just to clear a few things up. "HTT" or reference clock speed is commonly referred to as the "FSB". The proper AMD term is reference clock speed or HTT. There is technically no front side bus on a AMD board since the memory controller is integrated into the die. "FSB" is a old Intel term. I believe Intel now has a IMC as well. More than likely "FSB" is used in some motherboards so that it's easier for users to understand what it means and controls. HT or "Hypertransport" is also a separate thing and is used in AMD processors. I believe Intel has a similar type of technology but they refer to it as "QuickPath".

Hope that helps

I used 1.9V because of OCZ's website stating that it's the EVP rating. I did forget to mention that I did 3 other bench tests while toying with the timings and found that I had the highest benchmark results when I had the timings set at auto. So I'm leaving it at 1.9 and auto for that reason. And like I said, already found that I can get to 280 x 10.5 with the CPU. I may have gone higher and hit 3.0 ghz, but I'm not sure if it had survived the 2 min Orthos test or not. If I got time tonight, will be trying it and posting on this thread.

THANKS BUNCHES FOR A RELIABLE LINK. Tried to google, but it pulled up a bunch of sites I never heard of save one... and it had 25.8 version... your link provided 25.9, thanks again!

I understand that AMD refers to Hypertransport or reference clock, which is why I stated it that way and put fsb in (). Only reason I brought up fsb is because believe or not... my bios refers to it as fsb. Maybe it's "Friggin Speed of Bus"?
I may take a picture of my bios to show this as well.

Thanks again for your reply.

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krusher33 View Post
WARNING:Read on at your own risk of saying "you idiot" at the end.
This is OCN, not some Counter-strike forum, don't expect a rant from our good o'l users here

Long time since I OC'd an AMD but keep in there.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

I understand that AMD refers to Hypertransport or reference clock, which is why I stated it that way and put fsb in (). Only reason I brought up fsb is because believe or not... my bios refers to it as fsb. Maybe it's "Friggin Speed of Bus"?
I may take a picture of my bios to show this as well.
Krusher33, no problem buddy. It does get a bit confusing at times. I prefer HTT (reference clock speed) but others like "FSB". Both are fine with me. Just as long as we are on the same page

I'd might also add that AM2 processors overclock well between HT (hypertransport) speeds of 1200-1400Mhz. Adjust the HT multiplier to get those speeds and see how that performs.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r View Post
Krusher33, no problem buddy. It does get a bit confusing at times. I prefer HTT (reference clock speed) but others like "FSB". Both are fine with me. Just as long as we are on the same page

I'd might also add that AM2 processors overclock well between HT (hypertransport) speeds of 1200-1400Mhz. Adjust the HT multiplier to get those speeds and see how that performs.

Good luck
Will have to check my notes but I'm pretty sure I did some. Hit wall at 2.9 or 3.0 on all multipliers I tried (BTW can't do 1200, for some reason bios has it "reserved"?).

Thanks though.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Will have to check my notes but I'm pretty sure I did some. Hit wall at 2.9 or 3.0 on all multipliers I tried (BTW can't do 1200, for some reason bios has it "reserved"?).

Thanks though.
yeah that sucks. my bios doesn't have an ht multi and ht bus setting. it's just fixed 800/1000/1800 values. quite annoying

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
This is OCN, not some Counter-strike forum, don't expect a rant from our good o'l users here

Long time since I OC'd an AMD but keep in there.

Yeah... was expecting a little bit of a rant. But I'm feeling the love, feeling the love, hmmmmm.
call me crazy...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts