Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a friends house today because his computer began running super slow a while back and after doing all the basic stuff like deleting cookies, defrag, registry cleaning, spyware removal, it was still slow as hell.
he has a Dell (First problem) 9100.

Here are the specs:
CPU: Pentium D socket 775 stock at 3.2Ghz
RAM: 2 x 512 Gb pc4300 clocks:4-4-4-12
Ati x300
350w psu
80 Gb hd
160 Gb hd
Xp Home sp2
Speedfan would not recognize any temps other than his disc drives, which were fine.

After installing CPU-Z I dicovered his core clock speed would spend 2-3 seconds at 2.8Ghz and then shoot to the stock speed of 3.2Ghz for less than a second and go back again. I immediately thought that it may be thermal throttling, so I removed the heatsink, seen that the thermal compound was really beat, cleaned it up really shiny, applied some Arctic Silver and reinstalled the hs. No luck.
After looking further, I seen his ht link was around 780 or so. That seems kinda low don't you think? I didn't know how or even wanted to get into his bios before checking with the best group of overclockers on the 'net.
I appreciate any help. I'm kinda stuck on this one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
that was not thermal trottleing..it was probably EIST or C1E...100% normal...i dont think you can do anything about it

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
deadagain's on the right track.

it's probably just doing it's normal power-saving routines by throttling processor power, my Dell Latitude lappy does that. i can't remember exactly where it is in BIOS but you might be able to disable it.

if you can't do it via BIOS, disable it via RMClock's advanced options and check it to apply/run at startup.

also, check how many processes run at startup via msconfig or running a hijackthis log to see what's running. there may be one or two programs that run at startup that the AV scans and spyware scans couldn't get since it was an active process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts